Maine CCW wait time

To make the wait shorter means hiring more people, which means more state employees I have to pay for. No thanks. Plan ahead.

Even better idea woudl be to simply allow people to carry without any stupid permit! Thus removing the problem all together.

Last edited:
The wife just called me to tell me about a news report concerning the CCW wait time. According to the report a wait time of a minimum of 5 months is to be expected. Guess if you are renewing you might want to send it in 6 months ahead of time. The State is looking into the problem --- yea right

Maine Residents Waiting Nearly 5 Months To Receive Concealed Weapons Permits « CBS Connecticut

State police can?t process concealed weapons permits as fast as legally required ? Politics ? Bangor Daily News ? BDN Maine

Only if you are going through the state police. The towns are drastically faster.

I just called the Maine State Police to confirm that they had received my (non-resident) application package, which I mailed on August 14, expected for delivery on August 16. The very pleasant woman was able to confirm for me that they had received the application package. When I asked if she had any idea as to a lead time, she said: "Nope. We just started on June, so it's gonna be a while"

This as of 4pm on September 23.

I sent my non-resident application package in 5/7 and my check was deposited on 9/18. I hope to hear from them soon.

I sent my non-resident application package in 5/7 and my check was deposited on 9/18. I hope to hear from them soon.

My check was cashed May 10 and permit arrived June 26th I think, somewhere around there anyway. Others seemed to report similar waits so you could still have a couple of months or more wait. Hopefully you get it sooner than that!!

Holy shit... that is a long wait. I guess I should get in line.

If they can't keep up with it maybe they should just make Maine CC. [smile]

I just called the Maine State Police to confirm that they had received my (non-resident) application package, which I mailed on August 14, expected for delivery on August 16. The very pleasant woman was able to confirm for me that they had received the application package. When I asked if she had any idea as to a lead time, she said: "Nope. We just started on June, so it's gonna be a while"

This as of 4pm on September 23.

Check cashed on October 28th.

Last edited:
Non-Res Mailed: First week March, 13

No Reply as of now, have called many times, left many voicemails, nothing.....

Is 10 months a record or a new standard????

Jan 18,2014 http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/Backlog_in_concealed_weapons_permits_cleared_.html

"The Special Investigations Unit within the Department of Public Safety has cleared a backlog of more than 5,000 concealed firearms permit applications, according to a news release from the (governor) LePage administration.
The Department of Public Safety had one full-time person working on the background checks required to issue the permits and three people working part time on different parts of the process. However, the number of applications has grown in recent years to the point where the available staff couldn’t keep up.
The licenses are good for three years. Under state law, renewal applications for Mainers with more than five years of residency must be acted upon with 30 days.

Last summer, residents complained they were waiting nearly five months to receive concealed firearms permits. At the time, Maine State Police said more than 4,500 applications awaited processing at any given time and about 75 to 150 new applications came in every day.

The department shifted assignments and hired a temporary employee to help clear the backlog. The department did not reduce the requirements or scrutiny necessary to obtain a permit, said Stephen McCausland, the department’s spokesman.
In 2013, the Special Investigations Unit alone issued more than 11,000 permits, an increase of 3,500 permits from the 7,500 issued in 2012.

The number of permits issued by state police was 3,912 in 2008, then rose to between 5,700 and 5,900 in each of the next three years.

“Maine has one of the highest rates of firearm ownership in the country as a state that is fiercely protective of our right to bear arms,” the governor said. “However, we also have one of the lowest rates of gun violence. We are a safe state, and we plan to keep it that way.”
Concealed firearms permits were a hot topic for another reason in 2013. The name and address of people who applied for the government permits used to be a public record. But following a broad request for such records, the Legislature changed the law so that such application information is now confidential.

State police issue permits to Maine residents in 360 towns, most of them towns without full-time police departments, and to all out-of-state residents. The rest are issued by local police departments and boards of selectmen.

The state does not collect data to show the total number of permits issued in Maine."

Back
Top Bottom