Maine CCW wait time

And if they would use the NICS system in conjunction with that we could use our CCW to purchase a firearm and not have to go thru a background check everytime we bought a firearm

Not necessarily true unless maine laws are in complete alignment with the feds on this in an "equal or greater than federal law" type of deal. There is a punchlist of things that have to be true in order for the permit to qualify as being NICS check exempt. Many states fail this "test" and as a result can't take advantage of that exemption.

-Mike

I filed my ME Non-Res on March 26th and haven't heard a thing and my check hasen't been cashed either. Not surprised, I was hearing 160 days for Non-Res! As long as I have it by winter I'm good.

Haha good luck with that one. I called about two weeks after my check was cashed. The woman on the other end wasn't rude but she was a bit irritated. THe biggest part of the problem is that there are 4 people that do all the processing, and out of the 4 only one is full time.

They should hire more help if that's what they need to maintain the 30/60 day...

Haha that's funny......they were debating LD660 yesterday and today and several Legislators made comment about the fact that people are having to wait 90 to 180 days for their permit. The commented that the State is required to issue or deny in 30 days--60 non res. But I didn't see any one say that the State was violating their own statute only that the problem needs to be addressed.

Haha that's funny......they were debating LD660 yesterday and today and several Legislators made comment about the fact that people are having to wait 90 to 180 days for their permit. The commented that the State is required to issue or deny in 30 days--60 non res. But I didn't see any one say that the State was violating their own statute only that the problem needs to be addressed.

I'm 70 days over due. People should be pissed. I know I am.

If there's no penalty then the law effectively has no teeth and the time limit is, for all functional terms, a "suggestion". Things would change even if the law was set up that forced the state to issue a refund check to the applicant for the full amount of the application if they exceeded the time limit. That's all you'd have to do. [laugh]

-Mike

Got my RENEWAL back last week sent in November 2012.. 234 days.. Then to add insult they dated it November 20th the expiration date of the previous one.

Who has the authority to do something about this?

Well when I called they where swamped by applications. Those who do not know when doing a renew in Maine your permit is valid no matter the expiration date as long as you sent in the renewal before the old one expired and you have not received a denial.

Got my hopes falsely up. If you go to the Maine website they tell you how many permits have been issued by town and when they were issued. One was just done last week in my town but i got nothing. Must have been someone else... the bastard...

Too funny, mine came today also. That and a NH moose tag notification. Definitely a good snail mail day :)

140 days non-resident. That was a very long wait. I'm sure residents have more power to do something about the wait. It's ridiculous and against the law.

To make the wait shorter means hiring more people, which means more state employees I have to pay for. No thanks. Plan ahead.

My resident permit showed up in yesterday's (07/12) mail. I don't recall when I sent in the application, but I'm pretty sure it's been at least three months.
An enclosure with the card says "Renewal processing takes about 30 days. To avoid a lapse in your permit, we urge you to request an application for renewal at least 30 days prior to the expiration date shown on your permit." Well, alrighty then. The delay must have been with the Pony Express or something. [rolleyes]

I might have mentioned in another thread that the application instructions I had, which I think I downloaded from Maine Chiefs of Police or some other site, said something about including "one photos." I figured if I sent one, they'd want at least two, so I sent two. Underlined the typo on the page, and sent it along with the app, on the off chance that someone might actually look at it. Didn't get the second photo back, so maybe they do keep them on file.

I'm not tickled about only getting four years out of my $35 (the previous one had lapsed before my town stopped issuing permits), but it is a nice card. Well worth the price. [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom