• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maine CCW wait time

5 months to receive your permit! So much for the 30 days by law. If this was not a pro-gun Governor I think we would be screaming it was on purpose. But I think it is more of a case of a pro-gun fiscally conservative governor who does not want to spend more money on more staff to process them.

BTW, if you already have a permit and are just renewing, make sure you send in your renewal registered mail and have a copy of it all. Maine law states that CCW's in process of being renewed are valid past the expiration date until denied or renewed. It might also be wise to carry a copy of the law with you during that time period. The application must be received prior to the expiration so get it in early enough.

I filed for my ME license on 3-26-13, it'll be interesting to see how long it takes. I also filed my NH the same day for my wife and myself and my checks were cashed a week later. I know that's not an indicator of how soon they'll process the applications but our MA checks took 9 weeks to cash. We do a ton of camping, kayaking, backpacking, etc. in the White Mountains, so my NH is my more important one. We snowboard in Rangeley, ME so that one isn't as important this time of year but will be helpful for kayaking trips down the Saco.

IT is taking WICKED long now. I have a friend who has had a permit for almost 20 years and he just moved to a town that does not do them so off to the state police. He sent the paperwork the second week of November and nothing yet.

IT is taking WICKED long now. I have a friend who has had a permit for almost 20 years and he just moved to a town that does not do them so off to the state police. He sent the paperwork the second week of November and nothing yet.

In that case, I suggest that he call them. Unless something has changed in the past 2 years, there is only one woman who processes all permits for ME that are applied for thru ME SP. I'm sure that she's swamped and falling behind at a fast pace. After 3 months of waiting, I had to drive to Augusta to pick mine up (we were on vacation but still 1.5 hrs away) or it would have taken at least 1 more month (2011).

In that case, I suggest that he call them. Unless something has changed in the past 2 years, there is only one woman who processes all permits for ME that are applied for thru ME SP. I'm sure that she's swamped and falling behind at a fast pace. After 3 months of waiting, I had to drive to Augusta to pick mine up (we were on vacation but still 1.5 hrs away) or it would have taken at least 1 more month (2011).
Actually JoAnn is not alone. They have STACKS of them on their desk. Calling them simply takes time away from doing what they need to get done. Maine REFUSES to go computer. If they linked the mental facilities to the state police via computer they could cut wait time by 80 percent.

Actually JoAnn is not alone. They have STACKS of them on their desk. Calling them simply takes time away from doing what they need to get done. Maine REFUSES to go computer. If they linked the mental facilities to the state police via computer they could cut wait time by 80 percent.

And if they would use the NICS system in conjunction with that we could use our CCW to purchase a firearm and not have to go thru a background check everytime we bought a firearm

And if they would use the NICS system in conjunction with that we could use our CCW to purchase a firearm and not have to go thru a background check everytime we bought a firearm

If they followed the Constitution of the United states and the Maine Constitution we would not need any of this nonsense at all!

If they followed the Constitution of the United states and the Maine Constitution we would not need any of this nonsense at all!

Very True. But if we could trust the Government to follow the Constitution we would have little need for the 2nd.

I believe we will be ok here in Maine as long as LaPage is in the Blaine House. Like him or not the good news is he is pro-gun and not swayed by political correctness.

Federally we have the House and while the Senate is too close to be confident, I doubt the House will be swayed.

Stay vigilant! Stay united! Stay resolute!

Total time for me was 102 days. When I sent it in the website was saying 90 days, it now reads 150 days. As a note. I received the permit 5 weeks after the check was cashed.

I put my non-res through in early February. Still no cashed Check. I am worried they lost it or something. I hate having outstanding checks. Should I call to confirm receipt?

I put my non-res through in early February. Still no cashed Check. I am worried they lost it or something. I hate having outstanding checks. Should I call to confirm receipt?

Probably nothing to worry about. I was in the same boat as you, and was worried I made a mistake on the app or something. They received mine Feb 2 and cashed my check May 10th. Looks like it is just taking time right now. Now I'll be curious how long until permit arrives!

Mine was a resident permit but timing could be similar. Permit application sent in 1/6/13. Check cashed on 3/22/13, and permit issued on 4/22/13. To me it looks like they are using their "Shall issue or deny in 30 days" from the time the check is cashed. Currently they are posting a 150 day for permit on their website.

Check finally cashed last week now just to wait for the yay or nay of the permit. Tick... Tick.... Tick....

- - - Updated - - -

Check finally cashed last week now just to wait for the yay or nay of the permit. Tick... Tick.... Tick....

Seems like it's about 30 days from the time the check is cashed looking at what others have posted. My check was cached May 10th so I am hoping it arrives soon.

Just a reminder guys 30 days is for Resident----60 days for Non-Resident. Didn't mean to burst bubbles but if you do happen to call they will probably remind you of that. Plus the web site is now saying 150 days. When I sent my application in the site was saying 90 days--it took 102.

Back
Top Bottom