• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Maine CCW wait time

Maybe, but I'm happy I submitted and didn't wait around for that. The worst that can happen is I'm out $60 and my permit becomes obsolete.

People here (generalization ahead) don't have a good handle on how bills become law. They think that because someone filed a bill or one house approves it that it became law already. The process is a long grind and until a governor signs it into law (or leaves it on his desk to become law without signature), it's not a done deal.

I don't tend to count my chickens before they hatch.

I'll be paying up and renewing NH and ME unless the effective date of a law change happens prior to my submittal of my renewal paperwork. I'm not holding my breath for Constitutional carry, but I'll welcome it if it does happen.

Quick question. Part of the requirements indicate that you have to send in a copy of your safety course? I know this section is describing what you need to do if you lapse your permit but it would also indicate that just providing a copy of your CT or any other permit is not satisfactory and you need to send in a copy of your safety course? Am I missing something?

"If your permit expired over 6 months ago, you are considered a NEW applicant and must pay the
$60.00 fee (Make check payable to: Treasurer, State of Maine) – you are also required to submit
your supporting documents again; eg: Birth Certificate (BC), Hand Gun Safety Certificate (HGS);

Another fella in CT is asking about this and I don't recall having to send mine in when I applied a few years back.

Rome

Quick question. Part of the requirements indicate that you have to send in a copy of your safety course? I know this section is describing what you need to do if you lapse your permit but it would also indicate that just providing a copy of your CT or any other permit is not satisfactory and you need to send in a copy of your safety course? Am I missing something?

"If your permit expired over 6 months ago, you are considered a NEW applicant and must pay the
$60.00 fee (Make check payable to: Treasurer, State of Maine) – you are also required to submit
your supporting documents again; eg: Birth Certificate (BC), Hand Gun Safety Certificate (HGS);

Another fella in CT is asking about this and I don't recall having to send mine in when I applied a few years back.

Rome

A training cert is required if:

1: You are a new applicant
2: You are renewing and your license is been expired for 6 months or more

A training cert is not needed if:

1: You are renewing and you license is current
2: You are renewing and your license has been expired less than 6 months

A carry license from another state is NOT a training cert.

Why do you need Florida if you have Utah in process?

View attachment 136756

I would think that more people from the Northeast visit FL than visit UT each year!! UT license is useless in FL.

ETA:

Try reading this:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/CreateAMapNotice.pdf

Colorado, Florida, Maine, Michigan, New Hampshire & South Carolina
Only honor Permit/Licenses from “Residents” of the states they honor.
They will not honor any Non-Resident Permit/Licenses from any state.

Last edited:
That's encouraging. Mine actually expires tomorrow. Maybe it will come in the mail tomorrow. It's been about three weeks, including when they sent it back because I didn't answer a question. Which was my fault. I took care of that immediately and sent it right back.

Maine came in today. Easy-peasy.

Mailed in on 5/10/15
Effective date on license 5/20/15
Received in the mail 5/22/15.

That's damn-near NH fast.

They received my packet on May 1st and i got my permit in the mail on May 22nd . I think the check was cashed around the 13th IIRC.
Pretty quick turn around[smile]

That is a quick turn around. The Senate is expected to vote on LD652 today and the House on Friday. Hopefully you will never need to renew your permit again. If you have not contacted your rep yet and asked them to support LD652, now is the time to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTF? My ME non-res license took 12 days, mailbox to mailbox.

I'm going out and buying a Powerball ticket.

My guess is that they query my local PD. So if the chief buries the paperwork on his desk for weeks, guess what!

I expect to be checking in on him next week about other things so I'll add that to my list.

Mine came in the mail today, just in time for the Governor to sign Constitutional Carry! [crying] Of course the ME LTC does give reciprocity with Nebraska and Delaware, two key states.
I sent mine in early in May after seeing the my ME License expired on May 22. It would have been faster if I hadn't screwed up the form. I think 3 weeks is the average turn around time, but the note that came with the License said that renewals take 90 days.

LenS, I don't think they check with any PDs in other states. ME is very much a shall issue state and all that they need to do is verify the LTC status. Which I don't think the Maine SP needs to talk to local PDs to do.

At least that's my guess.

They do in fact contact your home PD. I know they did mine. My chief told me he got a phone call and a form in the mail. He let me know all was well. If you are a NH resident, the ONLY way the Maine SP has to verify a resident NH P&R license status is to contact your local authority.

Back
Top Bottom