MA: SEVEN ROUND MAG BAN! This is not a joke.

Not to be debbie downer or anything, but if this passes, my plan will be to vote with my feet outta this state and to let the liberals and criminals hash everything out without me.

I got frustrated trying to figure out exactly how the proposed wording of the law would look regarding the seven round mag limit, so I put together a "before" and "after" view of the two relevant paragraphs from MGL, Chapter 140. I don't claim to fully understand what it all means yet, I'll leave that to the resident lawyers.

Section 121:

Original
"Large capacity feeding device", (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum,
feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily
converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five
shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined
in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18
U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994.
The term "large capacity feeding device" shall not include an attached tubular
device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber
ammunition.

New
"Large capacity feeding device", (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum,
feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily
converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five
shotgun shells; or (ii) containing more than seven rounds of ammunition; or
(iii) obtained after the effective date of this act and capable of accepting,
or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than seven rounds
of ammunition.
The term "large capacity feeding device" shall not include an
attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only
with,.22 caliber ammunition.

Section 131M

Original
Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an
assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise
lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the
provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be
punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than
$10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years,
or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of
not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than
five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

New
Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an
assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise
lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994 ; or (ii) a large capacity feeding
device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to
accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition; or (iii) a large capacity feeding
device that such person lawfully possessed before the effective date of this
act that has a capacity of, or that can readily be restored or converted to
accept, more than seven but no more than ten rounds of ammunition, where such
device contains more than seven rounds of ammunition."
Whoever not being
licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this
section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than
$1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor
more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second
offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by
imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both
such fine and imprisonment.

ETA: Looks like someone already did this in the "Mass Laws" forum.

Last edited:
Good to know the particulars, but the message to Bacon Hill needs to be that the line of scrimmage is way back at how much of chapter 140 is getting removed wholesale to restore out rights, not which parts are being made worse.

We can debate whether Linksy and Deval need to be impeached if they want a "reasonable debate." [wink]

Not to be debbie downer or anything, but if this passes, my plan will be to vote with my feet outta this state and to let the liberals and criminals hash everything out without me.

Kind of sad, but if this garbage DOES pass, our choices are limited. Sell/surrender our property or become felons.

I'm with you, I'll vote with my feet and get the hell out. I called my state rep on Friday and spoke with one of her staff for 20 or so minutes. He asked alot of questions, but it seems the Rep is on Coupe Deville's side on this one. [angry]

Last edited:
Maybe their plan to get gun owners (who want to keep their guns) to move out?
I don't get it.?. We are such a small voting block, compared to the Free-Stuff groups. What's their motive?

Are gun owners making life too dangerous for their criminal buddies? None of this makes any sense.

I got a dumb question. If these new laws were to pass in Mass, does it affect the ownership of a Kel Tec KSG Shotgun? It's kind of a gray area for me at the moment.

Maybe their plan to get gun owners (who want to keep their guns) to move out?
I don't get it.?. We are such a small voting block, compared to the Free-Stuff groups. What's their motive?

Are gun owners making life too dangerous for their criminal buddies? None of this makes any sense.

Gun owners are dangerous for their plans of total control because many gun owners see through their veil of deception.

New to the board and glad to be a member. I went to the rally and like many others it was the first time I attended a rally. I for one was pleased with the size and will attend future rallies. We can only get stronger as the word gets out. I heard of the rally the night before. We need to get the word out there and when we discuss it although we are passionate about our cause we do not want to sound like radicals. My fear is that when you take arms from the people they are easier to control. I fear for my country and where it is heading. We as a people love our country but are not willing to be sheep. The fact of it all is unfortunately this country is a democracy and we all know with democracy majority rules and we are a minority. Our freedoms are based on what is given to us. People say freedom is not free, I agree because the country that I love and joined the Marine Corps to Die for is willing to take the freedom that I thought we fought for and infringe on our constitutional rights. I am losing hope and will continue to fight the battle of preserving our rights but as many of you have mentioned the only way out of the MA. rulers is to get out of the state. Sad but true.. The only way to control a people is to disarm the people. Yesterday I spoke to a lot of people that said that no one will enforce this/these laws. As a former Marine, people follow orders. The Governor could activate the national guard and have them go door to door demanding the weapons and all it would take is one person to resist and that will justify the ban. We are law abiding citizens and have registered our weapons to let them know where to come and get them. It is a sad state fellow gun owners. Be smart about your actions, speak to people about yours and there rights. Do this respectfully and understand that many people do not share in our passion about freedom because this unfortunately is not a passion that everyone shares. God bless us and this country!

51% of America Voters care nothing for their Freedoms.

They want a Leader they think is cool, and they want their handouts.

Note carefully I did say say they want a PRESIDENT who is cool. They are beyond that. A Dictator would suit them just fine.

Note carefully I did say say they want a PRESIDENT who is cool. They are beyond that. A Dictator would suit them just fine.

It doesn't matter if there are only 100 lawful gun owners in MA. The second amendment is our Constitutional right. It is not about what the majority believes. Have you ever noticed all of the handicapped ramps? Ever see one being used? People with disabilities are a tiny little fraction of the population, but it is their right to have access to public places. That is the law. So, every business owner that has a business open to the general public must adhere to the law to protect the rights of people with disabilities, even if they don't agree with it. All of our MA politicians will vehemently uphold the Americans with Disabilities Act. The US Constitution is much greater than an Act of Congress. So, EVERYONE must respect the second amendment even if they don't agree with it. Our MA politicians should defend the second amendment with as much or more vigor. That is their oath of office. They can't pick and choose which rights they uphold and defend. If they do, they violate the oath of office. That should be a criminal offense. If they violated the American's With Disabilities Act, they would be run out of town. The same is true of the Second Amendment.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter if there are only 100 lawful gun owners in MA. The second amendment is our Constitutional right. It is not about what the majority believes. Have you ever noticed all of the handicapped ramps? Ever see one being used? People with disabilities are a tiny little fraction of the population, but it is their right to have access to public places. That is the law. So, every business owner that has a business open to the general public must adhere to the law to protect the rights of people with disabilities, even if they don't agree with it. All of our MA politicians will vehemently uphold the Americans with Disabilities Act. The US Constitution is much greater than an Act of Congress. So, EVERYONE must respect the second amendment even if they don't agree with it. Our MA politicians should defend the second amendment with as much or more vigor. That is their oath of office. They can't pick and choose which rights they uphold and defend. If they do, they violate the oath of office. That should be a criminal offense. If they violated the American's With Disabilities Act, they would be run out of town. They same is true of the Second Amendment.
Our Government Officials DO PICK AND CHOOSE which Laws they choose to enforce, and which they choose not to.

I could cite you a hundred examples, with ease.

America is no longer a Nation of Laws.

Don't be so quick to think a dictator will keep them on the dole.. A sweet little old man just posted this on YouTube..

People today like their warm and fuzzy gov. It gives most of them what they want.
It actually pays cash to millions of people who vote for big gov.
However, if a military coup (d'etat) took place, that cash flow might stop overnight.

It would not be easy for generals to arrange the deaths of everyone in our current regime, but it could be done. Overnight.
If that happened, what would be our next step? Oh, yeah a LOT more gun control laws.. Thousands more.

If the mag ban does pass I will either rent a 5x5 self store in NH or get a safety deposit box up there to put them in, a 5x5 is about $37 a month and a safety deposit box, 10 inches wide by 5 inches high and 24 inches deep is about $115 a year.
Of course if they do that same thing nationwide, outlawing them then you can only bury them somewhere. God I hope this doesn't pass.

If the mag ban does pass I will either rent a 5x5 self store in NH or get a safety deposit box up there to put them in, a 5x5 is about $37 a month and a safety deposit box, 10 inches wide by 5 inches high and 24 inches deep is about $115 a year.
Of course if they do that same thing nationwide, outlawing them then you can only bury them somewhere. God I hope this doesn't pass.

Heck, maybe more of us should be burying some right now.?.
Then we could have bumper stickers saying,
Be careful Washington.
We Will Dig Them Up,
& We Will Use Them!

I believe, it's very likely that we would already be living under a dictatorship, if not for 2A.

Probably done late at night when everyone is sleeping like they did in NY. Then you get the shaft when you wake up.

FWIW I was told that there will be a public comment period and hearings. I was urged by one of my Reps to attend. I suggest the same for anyone that can make it. We need to stay vigilant and pay attention to where these bills are in the legislature. Further, once a committee is formed, we need to get on them. HARD.

FWIW I was told that there will be a public comment period and hearings. I was urged by one of my Reps to attend. I suggest the same for anyone that can make it. We need to stay vigilant and pay attention to where these bills are in the legislature. Further, once a committee is formed, we need to get on them. HARD.
I was told the same as well as honest confusion expressed by legislators as to how NY accomplished that and certainty that it could not and would not be done here.

That said, we should not wait to make we put pressure on them to do the right thing here and accept that "doing something" isn't the right response.

I was told the same as well as honest confusion expressed by legislators as to how NY accomplished that and certainty that it could not and would not be done here.

That said, we should not wait to make we put pressure on them to do the right thing here and accept that "doing something" isn't the right response.

100% Agreed. We need to mail letters/call/visit/meet/email every god damn person in that legislature we can, regardless if they are from your distirct or not. Immediately and relentlessly.

The goal = get these pieces of shit thrown out at the committee stage and not even hit the floor for a vote.

100% Agreed. We need to mail letters/call/visit/meet/email every god damn person in that legislature we can, regardless if they are from your distirct or not. Immediately and relentlessly.

The goal = get these pieces of shit thrown out at the committee stage and not even hit the floor for a vote.

Agreed. I think future State House gatherings should also occur the same day as any hearing.

read this link. That ruger link is for federal legislation. We have our hands full in MA right now and that's where we need to be concentrating.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...RTANT-DO-NOT-just-send-e-mails-to-politicians!!

The Ruger link sends Email to Washington, and to many people in your local state house too.
It only takes about 90 seconds. And if you hit save info, you can go back later and re-send your emails.
So, I plan to do it every day until I hear they have blocked their email addresses.

I'm getting a FAX modem so I can send handwritten letters to our state politicians.
I'll ask them (not their staff) to call me when they are in their office, or arrange for a meeting at the state house.

Plus, I'll be calling them too. They will be on my speed dial.

The TRENDnet 56K USB 2.0 Phone, Internet, and Fax Modem TFM-561U
less than $25 and has good reviews.

I like the idea of owning a good data/fax modem, since during some Federal "emergency", the internet/www (and social media) might be off-line. Maybe for months.

~~~~

Your message for "Gun Owner Call to Action" was sent on 01/21/2013 09:21 AM to the following recipients:
President Barack Obama (D),
Vice President Joseph Biden (D),
Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA),
Sen. John Kerry (D-MA),
Rep. Edward Markey (D-MA),
Rep. Niki Tsongas (D-MA),
Gov. Deval Patrick (D-MA),
Lt. Gov. Tim Murray (D-MA),
Sen. Brian Joyce (D-MA),
Sen. Kenneth Donnelly (D-MA),
Rep. Jay Kaufman (D-MA),
Atty. General Martha Coakley (D-MA).

Last edited:
Come on guys.... The perp that breaks into your house will only be able to have loaded 7 rounds into his legal 10 round magazine. I feel safer already.

Last edited:
Our Government Officials DO PICK AND CHOOSE which Laws they choose to enforce, and which they choose not to.

I could cite you a hundred examples, with ease.

America is no longer a Nation of Laws.
Just because they do, doesn't mean they are permitted to. It is tolerated and nobody raises hell about it. The tiny fraction of Americans with disabilities raise hell every day for compliance with the ADA. Sometimes, this is one person in a town. When that happens, there is instant compliance. Unfortunately because our cause is not popular, we have to have numbers and yell our demands louder. This is no different than discrimination against a person of color in an all white predominantly racist community. Just because politicians in that hypothetical community don't enforce civil rights doesn't mean they are permitted to violate a person's civil rights. Once we decide we do not uphold the rights and freedoms guaranteed by the US Constitution, it is fair game to violate the rights of anyone we choose.

Thank god I got out of The Peoples Republic a year ago. Least if I stayed my 7 Shot Taurus Tracker would have made the cut! haha. I feel so sorry for all you guys. I lived MA whole life till last year and I had to go. Too Much. I recommend the jump for all. Still kept my MA business and commute to work, but F Mass. Whenever your ready to rise up Im just over the border, call me!!! But this is the problem with government. First off they always manipulate any tragedy against us. Its the looney liberal way. If we are succesful tax us till we are poor. If we aren't succesful dont ever let us become so. But if we dont want anyhting but to sit on our couch watch Springer pop out kids we can get a free apartment better than most middle class can afford, free health care, food stamps + cash FOR LIFE. Then they breed continous generations of welfare families who continue the waste. Not to mention recently I read 30% of gov't employees job is to write regulations! FACT!! 30% of the people employed by the government do nothing but sit in a cube and write regulations to infringe on our constitutional rights and push us to be criminals or doormats to be stepped on. When will it stop. No spending cuts in sight, more regulation and we can't give them this inch because we all know it will be a mile. 10 - 7 sounds like a marathon to me and I hate sounding off now that Im a NH res but I feel all your pain. I do, I was living with it until last year. Deval is the worst and I can only pray he never sees the presidency or Ole Ole Ole Ole Im going to Canada!

Definition of Readily Modifiable

I have been trying to determine what “readily modifiable” means in regards to magazines. I looked to the definitions of Approved Weapons in the MA laws to get a feel for what they consider readily modifiable. On a gun it is “immediately capable of being altered” so by that standard a magazine with more than 10 rounds that was pinned or pop riveted to only hold 10 rounds would not be immediately modifiable without a drill or other tools.

We will have to wait to see the definition if the law passes but I think we can look the current definitions and my feeling is that we could modify the larger than 10 rounders

I looked up the definitions under Chapter 501 CMR 7.00 the Approved Weapons Rosters in section 7.02 Definitions I find the following
Readily Modifiable to Accept a Large Capacity Feeding Device means any firearm, rifle or shotgun immediately capable of being altered so as to accept a large capacity feeding device as defined in M.G.L. c. 140/121; provided, however that said feeding device is fully or partially inserted into the weapon or attached thereto, or is under the direct control of a person who also has direct control of a weapon capable of accepting said feeding device.

I wonder how many of the people here screaming rebellion over a 7 round mag limit here are already telling the .gov to pound sand and have PMags. Whats the difference between 10 and 20/30 now? Food for thought.

While I hate the MA AWB, there is a huge difference, and not just going from 10 to 7. That in itself is significant as it prohibits a large number of semi auto firearms. However, it's more than that. This new bill will make people get rid if propriety that they legally own. That's a big difference and is some people's line in the sand.

Back
Top Bottom