• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA LTC....Can I carry in RI???

BW23

NES Member
Can someone please clarify if people with a MASS LTC, can or can't CCW in RI?

Also, if you could point to where it says it in RI or MA laws?

Thanks!
BW

No, never. RI has no reciprocity with anyone, just like MA.

RI does have peaceable journey law but that will not cover you if you are detaining yourself in the state for any length of time, other than passing through. It's really only good for something like transiting from MA to CT via RI if you are also a CT holder.

-Mike

As Mike said, ONLY if you are merely transiting the State...

RIGL 11-47-8 said:
(a) No person shall, without a license or permit issued as provided in §§ 11-47-11, 11-47-12 and 11-47-18, carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, except in his or her dwelling house or place of business or on land possessed by him or her or as provided in §§ 11-47-9 and 11-47-10. The provisions of these sections shall not apply to any person who is the holder of a valid license or permit issued by the licensing authority of another state, or territory of the United States, or political subdivision of the state or territory, allowing him or her to carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, provided the person is merely transporting the firearm through the state in a vehicle or other conveyance without any intent on the part of the person to detain him or herself or remain within the state of Rhode Island.

http://webserver.rilin.state.ri.us/Statutes/title11/11-47/11-47-8.HTM

Also, if you could point to where it says it in RI or MA laws?

See the first sentence of the statute quoted above.

Can't CC in RI with MA LTC. Need RI non-resident CCW license. No reciprocity.

How difficult is it to get a non-resident CCW license? Is it as bad as it is in Mass?

- - - Updated - - -

See above...although some states recognize the MA LTC, RI is not one of them, and MA does not recognize any other state's LTC.

A good and usually reliable website that looks at each state and reciprocity is http://www.handgunlaw.us/.

Great reference! Thanks, Mark!

In order to apply for a RI non res permit you need to go thru the RI Atty General's office. I looked into at once.

You can apply through any of the towns per RIGL 11-47-11, and they are Shall Issue. The AG May Issue you a permit if you have a good reason to fear injury or another "valid" reason. However, sometimes they do things on a whim and I know of people with serious handicaps that have been denied by the AG and self defense is not a valid reason for the AG (unless you demonstrate that your life is in danger).
Here is a map over RI and who accepts applications.
http://www.rifol.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=285
Most non-residents apply through the AG, but the Chiefs are required to process applications from non-residents and I don't know what the success rate is for non-residents applying through a Chief. If you have ties to a green town in RI, I suggest applying there, unless you want to take your chances with the AG.

So not that I want to jump into an other can I do this here thread, but there is something I have been meaning to find out, and I will be honest, I am just to lazy and dumb to look it up myself.

RI does not license possession like we do, right? So, if someone who lived and was LTC'd here and had family in a border town, could that person carry to that family members property? Technically not detaining yourself, and ending up on private property, right?

Feel free to roll your eyes and grown while reading this if you'd like.

... RI does not license possession like we do, right? So, if someone who lived and was LTC'd here and had family in a border town, could that person carry to that family members property? Technically not detaining yourself, and ending up on private property, right? ....
Here is the statute, pertinent part in bold. It says "his or her dwelling house or place of business". Probably a relative's house does not qualify as yours. There is also an exception for a bonafide range (§ 11-47-10).

§ 11-47-8 License or permit required for carrying pistol – Possession of machine gun. – (a) No person shall, without a license or permit issued as provided in §§ 11-47-11, 11-47-12 and 11-47-18, carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, except in his or her dwelling house or place of business or on land possessed by him or her or as provided in §§ 11-47-9 and 11-47-10. The provisions of these sections shall not apply to any person who is the holder of a valid license or permit issued by the licensing authority of another state, or territory of the United States, or political subdivision of the state or territory, allowing him or her to carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, provided the person is merely transporting the firearm through the state in a vehicle or other conveyance without any intent on the part of the person to detain him or herself or remain within the state of Rhode Island. No person shall manufacture, sell, purchase, or possess a machine gun except as otherwise provided in this chapter. Every person violating the provision of this section shall, upon conviction, be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than ten (10) years, or by a fine up to ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or both, and except for a first conviction under this section shall not be afforded the provisions of suspension or deferment of sentence, nor a probation.

Here is the statute, pertinent part in bold. It says "his or her dwelling house or place of business". Probably a relative's house does not qualify as yours. There is also an exception for a bonafide range (§ 11-47-10).

Ahh, thanks for your time.

If i might resurrect this, has anyone in mass gone through the process and could they outline it here?

No, never. RI has no reciprocity with anyone, just like MA.

RI does have peaceable journey law but that will not cover you if you are detaining yourself in the state for any length of time, other than passing through. It's really only good for something like transiting from MA to CT via RI if you are also a CT holder.

-Mike

As Mike said, ONLY if you are merely transiting the State...

11-47-8

See the first sentence of the statute quoted above.

Good to know. I've been driving around the state for years. I guess the short/no-stops trip up 95 would actually be ok. (Eeek, zombie thread!)

Don't want to resurrect an old thread but figured we should keep this in 1 place.

If I wanted to join a shooing range in RI as a MA LTC holder would I have to apply to RI?

I assume I would, but without a real NEED if assume there will be restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:
Don't want to resurrect an old thread but figured we should keep this in 1 place.

If I wanted to join a shooing range in RI as a MA LTC holder would I have to apply to RI?

I assume I would, but without a real NEED if assume there will be restrictions.

You can transport your handgun to and from the range in RI without any permit. Be sure to check the statute for the specific requirements for transport (unloaded, etc.). Don't make any detours or other stops on the way to the range.

You can transport your handgun to and from the range in RI without any permit. Be sure to check the statute for the specific requirements for transport (unloaded, etc.). Don't make any detours or other stops on the way to the range.

I didn't expect it to be that easy, thanks!

If i might resurrect this, has anyone in mass gone through the process and could they outline it here?

1. Yes, several people in MA have gone through the licensing process, and I know of 6 who have succeeded.

2. The key to approval is (a) suitability - clean record, range qualification, proof of safety class and (b) specific reason, generally business related. General reasons of the form any MA resident could assert simply by writing a letter are likely to result in a lack of approval.

sorry to resurrect an old thread... how do folks who live on MA/RI border towns handle this? It's been one of the reasons I've been so hesitant to carry. There's always a chance that I'll end up in RI at some point during the day. My inlaws also live there, so we're there fairly often.

I realize I can apply for RI non-res license. Is "well I have a MA LTC and would like to be legal if I cross the border" a good reason on a RI permit application.

sorry to resurrect an old thread... how do folks who live on MA/RI border towns handle this? It's been one of the reasons I've been so hesitant to carry. There's always a chance that I'll end up in RI at some point during the day. My inlaws also live there, so we're there fairly often.

I realize I can apply for RI non-res license. Is "well I have a MA LTC and would like to be legal if I cross the border" a good reason on a RI permit application.

I lived in Attleboro for a stint and didn't give a f*** about any of it, but that was me.

Lol you are legal, long as you don't stop... [rofl] (RI has a peaceable journey thing that would let you transit while carrying under the law).

People have told me best way to get an RI license is to "town hack" it. An "AG permit" is almost certainly likely to result in a denial the first time around (and even though I don't give a shit about the bullshit about having to talk about a denial stuff on other apps) it's a huge waste of time. There are towns that will allow anyone to
apply although they don't necessarily LIKE it but are more likely to not screw with you after application if you get that far. Problem is I've lost track of the towns that do/don't
do it. I get the distinct impression that this information isn't blasted out everywhere so that nobody kills the goose that lays the egg, so to speak. Getting in touch with some RI peeps is probably helpful.

-Mike

I am a Mass resident that owns a house in Narragansett. I went through the process in Narragansett last year and was successful. The Narragansett police were nice, polite, and professional. Good communication. I do feel that it helped that I had my C&R. PM me if you want details.

I don't own any property in RI, nor do I work or own a business there. Are any of the border towns (Pawtucket, Central Falls, Cumberland) sympathetic to MA LTC holders in issuing RI non-res licences?

How difficult is it to get a non-resident CCW license? Is it as bad as it is in Mass?

- - - Updated - - -

Great reference! Thanks, Mark!

I was able to get a RI license without any difficulty at all. But, I also happen to own a home in RI and use it as a second address. I still to this day have not gone shooting in RI :(

I was able to get a RI license without any difficulty at all. But, I also happen to own a home in RI and use it as a second address. I still to this day have not gone shooting in RI :(

https://www.eliteindoorgunrange.com/

May I suggest Elite. Women shoot for free on Wednesday I think. The facility is the nicest I have shot in.

Back
Top Bottom