• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA license but have property in FL

Apply for your carry permit it's not hard,and does not take very long.This way when you buy a gun you don't have to wait three days to pick it up.
Though I own property in Florida my residence is still here in MA. I lucked out that the gun store I do business with is owned by a guy who use to live in Newton
MA.
Did you get your FL permit as a "resident", or "non-resident"? Does getting a "resident" permit in FL, even if part-time residency, impact your Mass LTC?

Did you get your FL permit as a "resident", or "non-resident"? Does getting a "resident" permit in FL, even if part-time residency, impact your Mass LTC?
My understanding is that FL doesn't have a different permit for residents vs. NRs, no address on the permit, so changing status just involves notification and no change to the permit.

Having multiple resident LTC/permits is irrelevant to the validity of any particular LTC/permit. I currently have a resident P/R license from NH and a valid resident LTC from MA (but won't be valid for much longer). Both police chiefs are fully aware of it and are fine with it.

No, although Brookline might figure out some creative way to make it so.
No requirement to tell them. I made the choice to be above-board about it with full knowledge that neither town would have a problem with it. That won't work for everyone in MA, depending on your town's attitude about LTCs and any relationship you may have with the PD.

I got it as a non-resident,as for resident thing I am not sure, but I will soon have to be looking into that.

Does getting a "resident" permit in FL, even if part-time residency, impact your Mass LTC?
No, although Brookline might figure out some creative way to make it so.
No requirement to tell them.
Going out on a limb,
@Rob Boudrie may be implying that
if Brookline PD's LO gets wind someone possesses another jurisdiction's resident permit,
they'd deem the person unsuitable.

I made the choice to be above-board about it with full knowledge that neither town would have a problem with it. That won't work for everyone in MA, depending on your town's attitude about LTCs and any relationship you may have with the PD.
The trick is to use Clintonian verb tenses.

In particular, snowbirds shouldn't file
to renew their Brookline LTC when they're in Florida -
they should file while they're up here New Englanders for the summer.

Even though they have to list all their other permits,
if they're actually residents of Brookline when they try and renew their
Brookline resident LTC, then what does the town have to carp about?

What I was referring to was the rather unique criteria Brookline uses for denials. With most towns/cities, the rational is "is there a safety reason to deny this permit" (though things like unproven allegations and the like are often included).

In Brookline, the game is "we want to deny you, give us a while to come up with a reason".

Last edited:
No requirement to tell them. I made the choice to be above-board about it with full knowledge that neither town would have a problem with it. That won't work for everyone in MA, depending on your town's attitude about LTCs and any relationship you may have with the PD.
Not mentioning it on the answer to the question about "have you ever held a firearms license in any other state, territory or jurisdiction?" would be lying on the form. I answer thusly and the PD wanted to make copies (presumably so they could arrange to have those revoked if I engaged in dissident behavior).

Not mentioning it on the answer to the question about "have you ever held a firearms license in any other state, territory or jurisdiction?" would be lying on the form. I answer thusly and the PD wanted to make copies (presumably so they could arrange to have those revoked if I engaged in dissident behavior).
Not what I was referring to. Per FRB you MUST list every license/permit THAT YOU EVER POSSESSED, even if expired. What I was referring to was a verbal conversation where I explained that I was a dual resident, with each police chief in person.

ahhh the great thing about Constitutional Carry and yes we can argue about a permit in NH allowing you to carry in a ORV, is you don't have to list it on any Commi Wealth of MA permission slip application

Thank you! I was envisioning a Mass licensing officer saying during the interview: “you can only have one state resident permit, pick one!” like the drivers licenses

Thank you! I was envisioning a Mass licensing officer saying during the interview: “you can only have one state resident permit, pick one!” like the drivers licenses
Which would be incorrect.

You can have multiple residences. But you can only be domiciled in one place.

But on a practical level there would be little you could do.

Which would be incorrect.

You can have multiple residences. But you can only be domiciled in one place.

But on a practical level there would be little you could do.
You can always ask the state auditor to explain the difference between primary and principal residence [rofl]

Last time I renewed I was specifically asked about licenses in other states. My city/town is listed as green but at best it’s orange.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom