• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

MA license but have property in FL

Yes, IF a dealer can be convinced your are a bone-fide part time Florida resident. What it takes to accomplish this, and even it if can be accomplished, varies between dealers.

It is going to be hard to get a FFL to sell you a gun that is not MA compliant if you go in with a MA LTC, they have too much at stake to risk vs the little that they will make on an AR sale.

You are going to have to have some proof of Florida residency, and a FFL that will accept a utility bill, tax bill, cable bill, etc etc etc to get the good stuff.

if you are going to be spending any amount of time in FL and you have utility bills and the like, get a FL drivers license and you can buy all the guns you want at the local flea market

It is going to be hard to get a FFL to sell you a gun that is not MA compliant if you go in with a MA LTC, they have too much at stake to risk vs the little that they will make on an AR sale.

You are going to have to have some proof of Florida residency, and a FFL that will accept a utility bill, tax bill, cable bill, etc etc etc to get the good stuff.

if you are going to be spending any amount of time in FL and you have utility bills and the like, get a FL drivers license and you can buy all the guns you want at the local flea market
I thought that if you get a FL drivers license your MA drivers license is now void. I was told by the DMV that you can not EVER have 2 valid drivers licenses from 2 states?

Can I purchase a long gun down in FL and keep it down in FL if it doesn't meet the MA requirements? Specifically an AR for home defense. Thanks

Yes, you can, but like Appraiser says, there's a great chance you will get a NO SALE on anything good unless you can prove you are a real dualie.

And if you are a dualie, don't go braying about mass bullshit, just stick to the facts, bring your RE tax bill, etc, with you. If you find a shop that cucks out, find a
different one.

I thought that if you get a FL drivers license your MA drivers license is now void. I was told by the DMV that you can not EVER have 2 valid drivers licenses from 2 states?

You can be a dualie for ATF purposes without having to dump your DL. It's wholly unnecessary.

Correct. And good luck with renewing your MA LTC w/o a MA DL. It is possible, but likely harder than finding a FL FFL that knows ATF regulations on how to prove residency.

I would just find a competent FFL in FL that knows that you need to prove two things: Who you are, and residency. Who you are is ANY government issued picture ID. MA LTC sure, but make it easy and use a passport. Residency can me your DL and lots of lazy FFLs want you to have one ID that proves identify AND residency. But the ATF says any government document is enough for residency. Utility bill, library card, etc that have your name and FL address.

correct you can not have 2 licenses, thanks to the Feds

Years ago they issued a in state Florida license only to snowbirds so we could get the resident discounts at Mauswitz and other theme parks

That is not the case anymore, you can't even get a State of FL ID issued if you have a valid license in another state

IME tax and utility bills that go to a Massachusetts address will be a problem. They also need to be from state owned utilities. For example, Comcast won’t cut it but Florida Light and Power would work.

A resident Fishing license will work and young inexperienced Walmart employees are generally more flexible than an FFL. Once you have one just supply it for the following year to get another one.

Bob

One reason convincing a dealer is tough is that it is against federal law for them to sell something not legal in the purchasers home state. This is a rule for FFLs, not customers.

IANAL but in running several FFLs and owning residences in several states at once, a utility bill and tax bill go a long way to showing a dealer that you are legitimately a part time resident or homesteader.

Apply for your carry permit it's not hard,and does not take very long.This way when you buy a gun you don't have to wait three days to pick it up.
Though I own property in Florida my residence is still here in MA. I lucked out that the gun store I do business with is owned by a guy who use to live in Newton
MA.

Last edited:
Apply for your carry permit it's not hard,and does not take very long.This way when you buy a gun you don't have to wait three days to pick it up.
Though I own property in Florida my residence is still here in MA. I lucked out that the gun store I do business with is owned by a guy who use to live in Newton
MA.

Do you spend time in FL? Because if you do, then you are wrong.

For the purpose of buying a gun, you ARE a Florida resident when you spend time at your place in Florida.

The ATF considers you to be a resident of that state if you "make a home" there. That means that you have a place that you go to spend time.
it also means that raw land doesn't count, but that a rental place DOES count.

This is not some grey area. It is black and white. The insturctions on the ATF form 4473 questions 10 and 20 explicitly address
1) that if you have a weekiend home you are a resident of that state when you are there.
2) that something like a tax bill from your weekend home plus a drivers license from your primary (domiciled) residence is enough ID to purchase a firearm.

Nope.
What the ATF says, and what a FFL is willing to do are two different things.

(just look at FFL's refusing to release a gun after a delay has timed out)

The key is proper documentation and a friendly FFL
True. But FFLs in FL are very well versed in this considering that about half their population are seasonal residents. Its not an issue at all.

I have purchased firearms in NH based on my residency in NH. No problems. Like you said, it takes a FFL who understands the law.

Just because there are a lot of snowbirds in Florida doesn't mean FFL's are welcoming them with open arms.... I have been in Florida for 17 years now and I am not considered a local by any means, and many of the locals are not enthralled by the yearly invasion of the "winter jerks"

You should bring a copy of this :

Attachments

• BATFE Rule 2010-6 Residency and Proof of Residency.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
You will frequently find that gun shop owners consider themselves authority figures and will not be interested in reading the law because they are the experts.

You think FFL's are bad? Try the SLFU.

I took a trip to Middletown, took in my tax receipts for the last several years, (property in Bozrah), showed them my GA driver's license and my CT non-resident permit. The told me that they'd only authorize the sale of a handgun to me if they'd issued me a resident weapons permit; followed that up by telling me that they'd issue me a resident weapons permit only if I turned in my GA driver's license for a CT driver's license.

I asked to speak to the next level up from the clerk at the window. Supervisor arrived, was abrupt, dismissive and basically rude to me.

They don't care about the ATF ruling.

Just because there are a lot of snowbirds in Florida doesn't mean FFL's are welcoming them with open arms.... I have been in Florida for 17 years now and I am not considered a local by any means, and many of the locals are not enthralled by the yearly invasion of the "winter jerks"

Its got nothing to do with them liking you. Its got everything to do with them wanting to sell you something.

A Florida FFL that refuses to sell to a snowbird is costing themselves money. Plain and simple.

You should bring a copy of this :
Has anyone ever heard a resistant FFL say,

"I didn't want to sell you that gun​
because I thought that would be an illegal transaction.​
But now that you've shown me the statute,​
I see that I am legally required to sell you that gun".​

Actually, FFLs are not legally required to sell a gun to any particular individual as long as that refusal is not based on membership in a protected class. Part time resident was not a protected class last I checked.

Actually, FFLs are not legally required to sell a gun to any particular individual ...
Eggzactly.

... as long as that refusal is not based on membership in a protected class. Part time resident was not a protected class last I checked.
Neither is "guy who starts waving ATF memos around
when I'm trying to impress my gun shop regulars
with my eleet legal knowledge".

We're kind of flogging a dead horse. My point was that it isn't going to be difficult to find a FFL in Florida who will sell a handgun to you provided you have proper documentation of an out of state Drivers License and a tax bill from FL.

And yes, I have been able to persuade a hesitant FFL by providing him with a copy of a law.
He didn't immediately say "well ok". He told me he would check with his lawyer. He did and we did the transfer.

And yes, I have been able to persuade a hesitant FFL by providing him with a copy of a law.
He didn't immediately say "well ok". He told me he would check with his lawyer. He did and we did the transfer.

Well thanks @dcmdon I guess even @AHM can learn something from NES

c3f50601ff95bf39d0fdeff1db42aae1.jpg

Well thanks @dcmdon I guess even @AHM can learn something from NES
(You really think the actual FFL paid actual money to consult an actual lawyer?)

Nope. It was shortly after the 2013 AWB was passed in CT. he was in constant discussions with the attorney about a number of items relating to the new law. Also, the attorney was a part time employee. (retired from litigation who still did wills and closings) Who basically worked there sometimes to get out of the house.

Back
Top Bottom