MA law - transporting rifles?

wheelgun

NES Member
I'm mostly a handgun person, and am familiar with the Mass. laws regarding transportation of handguns in vehicles. However, I just realized today that the law is much more restrictive when it comes to rifles. It says that all rifles must be unloaded, and in a locked case or the locked trunk of the vehicle. This is true even for those with class A licenses. Why is it I can carry a loaded handgun but not even an unloaded rifle unless it's locked up?

I have an SUV, so I have no locking trunk. That means I have to carry my rifle in a locked case. I have the hard plastic Bushmaster case, but it's really pretty flimsy. It's got holes in it for a padlock, but anyone with a pair of wire cutters or good knife could just cut through it. Does it qualify as "locked" under the law? If not do I have to buy a $200-300 metal case for transport?

Do an Advanced Search of the Gun Laws forum. Lots of discussion on this topic has already been aired and details of the law written.

LenS said:
Do an Advanced Search of the Gun Laws forum. Lots of discussion on this topic has already been aired and details of the law written.

Thanks, I found this. However, there is one statement there that I was unaware of.

The law says the rifle must be in a locked case. However, an ulocked case containing a rifle with a trigger lock is also acceptable? I'm going to search the laws again for the definition of "locked" to see if I can verify this.

wheelgun said:
Thanks, I found this. However, there is one statement there that I was unaware of.

The law says the rifle must be in a locked case. However, an ulocked case containing a rifle with a trigger lock is also acceptable? I'm going to search the laws again for the definition of "locked" to see if I can verify this.

No, a trigger lock on the trigger won't fulfill the legal requirement for transportation of your unloaded rifle in a locked case.

By the way, resist the temptation to buy or possess ban or post-ban large capacity magazines in MA.

As Cross-X has stated, a trigger lock is not sufficient. See MGL C140 S131C:

Chapter 140: Section 131C. Carrying of firearms in a vehicle

Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(b) No person carrying a firearm under a Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.

M1911 said:
(c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.
Sounds like rifles like the M1 & MNs are exempt since they're not large capacity...

IANAL. It is my understanding that non-large capacity rifles and shotguns do not need to be locked up while being transported.

That said, I suspect many officers don't know that. I also suspect that many of them would have a hard time correctly discriminating between large capacity and non-large capacity. So if someone was arrested for carrying an M1 that was not locked up, they would likely beat the rap. But at very least it would ruin their whole day.

So I recommend locking up everything, except for the gun on your hip or in your pocket.

Last edited:
M1911 said:
IANAL. It is my understanding that non-large capacity rifles and shotguns do not need to be locked up while being transported.

That said, I suspect many officers don't know that. I also suspect that many of them would have a hard time correctly discriminating between large capacity and non-large capacity. So if someone was arrested for carrying an M1 that was not locked up, they would likely get the rap. But at very least it would ruin their whole day.

So I recommend locking up everything, except for the gun on your hip or in your pocket.

I agree with your recommendation.

A few months ago, I was in a Magistrate's Hearing where the local (MA) police prosecutor insisted to the magistrate that a Walther P-22 was a large capacity handgun because it could contain 10 cartridges in the magazine and one in the chamber.

Unbelieveable, but very, very true.

Cross-X said:
A few months ago, I was in a Magistrate's Hearing where the local (MA) police prosecutor insisted to the magistrate that a Walther P-22 was a large capacity handgun because it could contain 10 cartridges in the magazine and one in the chamber.
I hope you jammed that one down the prosecutor's throat with chapter & verse on how he was wrong.

Not to reopen a thread with confusion but I had no idea about this. Whenever I have gone to the range with my Ruger 10/22 rifle I put it in a soft case with the empty mags. The rifle itself has a lock going through the action but the case isn't locked and I have a Jeep so its not like I have a trunk either. Is this illegal?

Not to reopen a thread with confusion but I had no idea about this. Whenever I have gone to the range with my Ruger 10/22 rifle I put it in a soft case with the empty mags. The rifle itself has a lock going through the action but the case isn't locked and I have a Jeep so its not like I have a trunk either. Is this illegal?

Put a split ring (key ring) through the case where the zipper closes and run a tiny padlock through the zipper tag and ring. 100% legal. [smile]

Last edited:
Whenever I have gone to the range with my Ruger 10/22 rifle I put it in a soft case with the empty mags. The rifle itself has a lock going through the action but the case isn't locked and I have a Jeep so its not like I have a trunk either. Is this illegal?
I believe that the current interpretation of the law is that, if you have 10 round magazines the 10/22 is non-large capacity. Therefore, it would not need to be locked up.

However, if you have magazines greater than 10 rounds, then it would be considered a large-capacity rifle and would need to be in a locked case, locked trunk, or "other secure container".
Put a split ring (key ring) through the case where the zipper closes and run a tiny padlock through the zipoper tag and ring. 100% legal.
That had been Chief Glidden's interpretation for some time. However, I believe there was a recent court case where this was decided differently and such soft cases are no longer considered "secure" for large-capacity rifles. Perhaps one of of the lawyers on the list could comment.

I recommend that you get yourself a locking, hard-sided case and that you carry all your rifles locked up that way, whether they are large or non-large capacity.

I'm mostly a handgun person, and am familiar with the Mass. laws regarding transportation of handguns in vehicles. However, I just realized today that the law is much more restrictive when it comes to rifles. It says that all rifles must be unloaded, and in a locked case or the locked trunk of the vehicle. This is true even for those with class A licenses. Why is it I can carry a loaded handgun but not even an unloaded rifle unless it's locked up?

I 2nd what the other guys said... with one addendum-

There are a lot of states that do not allow loaded long guns in
vehicles... I'd say even a majority don't allow it. My guess would be
that that it's a throwback to certain game laws, etc, as a side effort
to try to prevent poaching or whatnot. (Anyone know the real deal? I
think the laws about that are rooted in hunting regs, but not sure.. they
sure appear to be oriented that way, though.)

Anyone know offhand what states allow you to keep loaded rifles
or shotguns in a vehicle? (loaded meaning at least a magazine inserted
into the rifle and not necessarily a round chambered).

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom