MA: Identifying Pre-Ban Glock Mags

Yes, you could (and should) call Glock about it. I would expect them to make it right by you. Perhaps they might actually be more diligent about shipping hi-caps to MA too.

Just read this post. Calling Glock...

so drilling a hole in the mag body, and putting a pop rivet through it, so the mag only holds 10 rounds would be sufficient? My butt would be covered incase something ever happened that my gun/magazines would be looked at?

Dunno. It isn't clear to me what would be considered "permanent" and what wouldn't. When the federal assault weapons ban was in force, you could ask the ATF for a written opinion. But now that it has lapsed, that's not true anymore. And I'm sure that EOPS has written no such opinions.

Last edited:
Dunno. It isn't clear to me what would be considered "permanent" and what wouldn't. When the federal assault weapons ban was in force, you could ask the ATF for a written opinion. But now that it has lapsed, that's not true anymore. And I'm sure that EOPS has written NO such opinions.

I believe you meant to say ^. [smile]

Alllllll set now. Called Glock. Said since the purchase wasn't straight from them, they couldn't send me legal mags. So back to dealer I went. Explained the situation (he still disagrees with me, saying they are legal) but respected my opinion enough to switch them out with legal 10 rounders.

Thanks for everyones help. It is greatly appreciated.

Good for you! Glad it got sorted out. Be VERY CAREFUL with that dealer in the future, you don't want to do the time for his stupidity and stubbornness.

Viper,

If you would like, I will purchase the 2 magazines you have so you don't have to gimp them and can order 2 10rd magazines (if I had 2, I'd offer them to you, but I don't)

I have a glock 23 and can use the Glock 22 magazines.

Ok, looks like you're all straight now. I'm glad everything worked out for you.

I need to take some photos, but I have some "GOVERNMENT / LEO ONLY" marked During Ban glock magazines for a Glock 23. They need to be stripped and cleaned (previous owner left them in some gun cleaner that dried with them in it) but they are otherwise i good shape.

Last edited:
I'd rather not name the dealer, but if you PM me, I will fill you in. This dealer is very nice to deal with, and when I expressed my concern about the magazines, he followed my request and exchanged the magazines for legal ones. It is unfortunate that this dealer still thinks that these mags are ok to sell in MA, but I have seen firsthand other reputable dealers making the same mistakes, or selling products they know damn well are post ban hi-caps to MA residents.

I will still be doing business with this dealer in the future, I'll just be more careful.

Wasn't trying to start a boycott or anything. It just seems helpful to know who your dealing with. There are dealer reviews on the discussion board and some have taken consideral criticism over reporting unfair business practices (selling non ma compliant firearms, Glocks to be specific). So in my mind, I like to know who is playing by the rules (such as they are) and who might be looking for an illegal edge on the competition. I respect your discretion though.

I hate to beat a dead horse but has anybody seen glock 22 mags with this cutout? is this something new? is this what BillO was talking about 12 pages ago. I'm guessing these are new production mags, since I have never seen that cutout before and none of my pre-94 mags have them. Anybody wish to comment?

Mags2.jpg

ETA: I confirmed that silver part is the ambi cut on the 4th gen mags.

Last edited:
Yes, the mags with the ambi cut-out are definitely POST-ban. Glock only started making them ~3 years ago when they came out with the "SF" line of products.

I hate to beat a dead horse but has anybody seen glock 22 mags with this cutout? is this something new? is this what BillO was talking about 12 pages ago. I'm guessing these are new production mags, since I have never seen that cutout before and none of my pre-94 mags have them. Anybody wish to comment?

Mags2.jpg

As Len says, these are the new post ban 4th gen mags. Very bad juju in Massachusetts.

As Len says, these are the new post ban 4th gen mags. Very bad juju in Massachusetts.

Well, they're only "bad" if they hold more than 10 rounds. I would imagine they're making cripplemags with that cutout now, too.

-Mike

I'd like to say that this thread and it's many contributors have allowed me to attain much more confidence in my purchase of Glock Mags as I have just recently plunked down some payola for a 2nd Gen. G21. Luckily it's coming with a 1st Gen. NFML mag. Now I just have to find a few more. MA sucks! [grin]

Mags2.jpg

I posted under the mass gun law section about how I just purchased a new Glock 19. The mags that came with it look this.

cool!
a feature thats not needed that caused a entire change in mag design!
thanks glock!
[rofl]

Exactly....I was in NH today though and noticed that none of the Glock 31 mags have the ambi notch. Not sure why, since essentially they are the same mag just marked for 357 sig. WTF Glock.

Last edited:
Exactly....I was in NH today though and noticed that none of the Glock 31 mags have the ambi notch. Not sure why, since essentially they are the same mag just marked for 357 sig. WTF Glock.

It's because .357 Sig mags don't exactly fly off the shelves. They're probably "new old stock".

-Mike

That's what I was thinking.....

I've seen the 30SF...the mag has no ambi notch. So not sure what people are talking about when they say these ambi notch mags were invented for the 21SF and 30SF.

Hey everyone, im new to this forum and the whole pre/post ban thing. I know this is a simple thing but i just want to make sure.
If i could find Pre ban mags out of state, is it legal to have them shipped here and to posses them.
Thanks ahead of time.
-Matt

Hey everyone, im new to this forum and the whole pre/post ban thing. I know this is a simple thing but i just want to make sure.
If i could find Pre ban mags out of state, is it legal to have them shipped here and to posses them.
Thanks ahead of time.
As long as you have the appropriate LTC (A for pistol mags, A or B for rifle mags), then yes, it is perfectly legal for them to be shipped into MA and for you to possess them. You may find out of state sellers who refuse to ship to MA, though. Also, as described in this thread, it may be hard to determine whether a Glock mag is pre-ban or not.

Thanks ahead of time.
-Matt

Yes, it is, as long as you have the correct license. Some sellers may ask to see a scan/copy of your LTC.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom