MA: Identifying Pre-Ban Glock Mags

Best type of High Cap Mags to by for Glock

Just got a new (used) Glock 17 Mass compliant.

What are the best type of mags to get. It appears there are 2 styles that are OK in Mass?

thanks [smile]

Basically, any "factory" Glock mag is good. You would want to steer toward the Full Metal Lined (FML) mags as they don't bulge out slightly when loaded in the gun and will "drop free" from the gun, loaded or unloaded. These are indentifyable by a sqared off notch at the top/rear of the mag, the Not Full Metal Lined mags (NFML), have a "U" shaped notch at the top/rear of the mags. IMHO, if you can come by the NFML cheap enough ($20 or less), then grab them, otherwise stick with the FML mags. Lastly, stay away from any "Restricted L/E Gov't" mags. Good luck [cheers]

Most people prefer drop free, otherwise known as fully metal lined or FML. But there are others who prefer the ones that do not drop free when there are rounds in the mag (in other words, you have to pull the mag free, gravity won't do it). Those are called NotFML.

Unfortunately, I have some square-notch Glock mags that don't drop free. So I don't think drop-free is as simple as square-notch versus rounded-notch.

How do you tell if they are PRE_BAN? Is it only the "Restricted L/E Gov't" mags that are so marked, to stay away from??

more from Glock Talk

More from Glock Talk...

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...ag+generations

See #14 in this thread for excellent pics comparing several generations of mags. The 2nd and 3rd are preban NFML (non fully metal lined) with U shape cut at top. The 4th is a preban early FML with square cut at top, caliber designation midway from top to holes.

These are regarded as generally the only ones legally allowed in MA. There may be rare exceptions, but unless you have concrete proof, don't risk it.

More from Glock Talk...

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...ag+generations

See #14 in this thread for excellent pics comparing several generations of mags. The 2nd and 3rd are preban NFML (non fully metal lined) with U shape cut at top. The 4th is a preban early FML with square cut at top, caliber designation midway from top to holes.

These are regarded as generally the only ones legally allowed in MA. There may be rare exceptions, but unless you have concrete proof, don't risk it.

The link is hosed. can you resubmit. Thanks.

try this

The link is hosed. can you resubmit. Thanks.

Try this. See #14 for a great comparison
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=794817&highlight=mag+generations

MagazineGenerations-rear.jpg

Last edited:
That pic looks nice but it doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know- that mag provenance is still based purely on hearsay. That thread is just as much of a dead end as ours is....

-Mike

That pic looks nice but it doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know- that mag provenance is still based purely on hearsay. That thread is just as much of a dead end as ours is....

-Mike

Yup. Hearsay, nothing more.

Actually, I forgot about this gem in this thread...

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=491220#post491220

At least if we are to believe our own poster, this notional about "high marking mags are always postban" may very well be BS.

This wouldn't be the first time I've seen this, either.

-Mike

I'm NOT going back to look, but I'm sure that I quoted Pat Sweeney from his book on Glocks in that thread. The manager of AFS also bought a G21 during the Fed Ban with pre-ban, hi-markings on the mags.

Unless you have ambi-cutout Glock mags, there really is no way to tell for sure that they are NOT pre-ban mags . . . and that is the official position of Glock's USA Legal Department too.

On a LE forum that I recently dropped off of, someone (LE) claimed that "many LEOs in Middlesex County know 'exactly what to look for' and are looking to jam people up with Glock mags." Both a troubling and interesting statement, especially when the folks at Glock-US can't absolutely ID pre-ban from banned mags!![/QUOTE

I have heard this said by some LEOs myself. The logic they are using is that the "Caliber" listed on the magazine was moved up to the top closer to the feed lips in order to make room for the "Law Enforcement Use Only" notice printed on mags during the ban years. When the ban expired the notice was dropped but the "Caliber" listing was left up at the top. So, according to them, if the there is a .40 or 9MM or whatever caliber noted at the top of the mag then it must have been made after the ban. I know this runs counter to reports out of Glock say but that's the logic being used in Middlesex County. FWIW, I recently purchased a factory refurbished Glock 23 from a store in Massachusetts that does a brisk trade with the LEO community. Glock attested this to be a Mass eligible pistol and issued it from the factory with 3 hi-cap magazines. All of the mags indicated ".40" at the top suggesting they were post ban if using the Middlesex County DA logic. However, the proprieter of the store assured me the were pre-ban and that they were certified by Glock to be so by virtue of the fact they had sent it to Massachusetts for sale. I guess the bottom line is all this confusion can only be ended through careful changes being made to current state law.

Ok, here we go again...

I just picked up a refurb G22.....and come to find out, it has two magazines with the ambi-cutout. Could it be these were the original preban mags rebuilt with new style mag bodies? Or should I get rid of these and pick up some that are definetly preban?

What do you suggest? Just toss em in the trash, or cut them apart/make them unusable in another manner?

Great........I had asked about them being post-ban. I was suspicious, but the dealer assured me they were legal, since Glock sent them to MA after the gun was refurbished.

Now I have to spend more $$ on mags....wonderful.

M1911, thank you for your help.

Why not return them to the dealer who sold you the gun and make him replace them with pre-bans (real ones) or neutered mags?

The dealer was hellbent on insisting they were legal. He didn't want to hear otherwise.

Sorry but the Dealer was BS'g you. NO ambi-cut mags were mfd by Glock until a few years ago.

That's the only Glock mag "mod" that you can be absolutely certain of . . . that it is a post-9/13/1994 hi-cap mag!

Well.......it looks like in the trash they will go. Could I call Glock and explain that they sent illegal mags with the refurb gun, and possibly have them send me legal mags(10 rounders)???

Yes, you could (and should) call Glock about it. I would expect them to make it right by you. Perhaps they might actually be more diligent about shipping hi-caps to MA too.

It would have to be a permanent modification.

so drilling a hole in the mag body, and putting a pop rivet through it, so the mag only holds 10 rounds would be sufficient? My butt would be covered incase something ever happened that my gun/magazines would be looked at?

Back
Top Bottom