MA Approved Black Powder Brand/Type List

I've been taking myself down a wild-goose chase for a list of the "approved" types of "black powder substitutes" allowed in Mass during MuzzleLoader/PrimitiveFirearms Hunting Season, and I thought I'd see if anyone else on the forum already had this list somewhere.

Starting out, the MassWildlife regulation specific to MuzzleLoaders/PrimitiveFirearms limits the brands/types of BlackPowder allowed for use during the hunting season:
321 CML 3:02(4)(b).4

4. The primitive firearms period of the open season is intended to provide an opportunity to hunt deer in a manner similar to the way our forefathers hunted in the mid-1800's. The primary consideration is to limit the weapons to a type similar to those in common use during that period of history. Basically, that means a single-shot, muzzle-loading firearm with no break-open breech and limited range and firepower. Secondarily, the hunter participating in this season should have a relative degree of solitude significantly different from the hunting pressure which is characteristic of the shotgun deer season.

Beginning the third Monday after Thanksgiving and ending on December 31, all days inclusive, deer may be hunted only by means of a primitive firearm using a single lead projectile, or by means of a bow and arrow. Black powder (or synthetic substances such as "pyrodex" which are approved for competitive muzzle-loading meets by the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association) is the only powder to be used during this season. Primitive firearms may have smooth or rifled bores and shall not contain more than one usable barrel. In the case of primitive firearms with double bore barrels, one barrel shall be made inoperative by removal of the nipple and hammer. The caliber of a primitive firearm shall be not less than .44 nor more than .775 and only those primitive firearms having a barrel length of 18 inches or longer shall be permitted. A person shall not, except during the paraplegic and shotgun deer seasons, have in his or her possession a shotgun shell loaded with a rifled slug, single ball, buckshot of any size, BB shot or air rifle shot in any place where birds or mammals might be found, except on a skeet, trap or target range between sunrise and sunset, and except for the hunting of waterfowl or coyote as provided in 321 CMR 2.03. During the primitive firearm season, nothing in 321 CMR 3.02(4) shall prevent the otherwise lawful hunting of birds and mammals in accordance with established statutes and regulations.

So, I went over to the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association's website and found their Range Rules, which apply to competitions. Rule#1210:
1210–PROPELLANT–Propellant to be black powder or any BATF approved black powder substitute only.
Note: The NMLRA rule does not specify any distinction between synthetic/organic black powder substitutes.

The combination of the regulation and the rule seems to imply that Mass laws are based on some private organization's rules.. which only reference an un-cited BATF list or regulation.

However, while checking the BATF's website (www.atf.gov) I was unsuccessful in finding any reference to any black powder list either approved or rejected which could possibly constitute as an "Approved Black Powder substitute" list.

Has anyone else been successful in finding some kind of defining "list" (or even a guideline by the ATF that specifies what is 'allowed' to be shot in a muzzle-loaded firearm)?

Last edited:
If you see it for sale in the stores, use it. I very much doubt an EPO is going to demand samples of your powder pellets for chemical testing.

I agree. However; legally speaking, the regulations are restrictive to a specific type of powder, and no such list of "approved" powders seems to exist or is readily published and/or publicly available.

Back
Top Bottom