M1 Garand Megathread

Received my order from CMP yesterday. 2 service grades. One is a Springfield from June of 1942 with some character to the wood-I think it is original SA wood by the markings. It has been around the block quite a bit. The other is an H&R from 1956 with new CMP wood.

I do have a question about filling out the registration on the gun transaction portal for MA. Reading through the MA gun law forums on here I see folks saying not to fill out the seller information. eFA-10 clarification for C&R I'm confused why you wouldn't put the seller information down. Is this because CMP is not an FFL? I'm new to this hobby and the only two other purchases I have made, one was a face to face with another MA resident and one was at a brick and mortar gun shop.
Nice a balance of old and less old. Now a range report , head to head whats better a old rifle or a older rifle!

As the CMP is allowed by congressional decree to ship rifles to your doorstep, there is no seller present during your registration. The key word is 'registration'. You are not entering a sale but a registration, basically the same as if you moved here with a M1 and therefore you leave the seller blank.

Congrats on the nice rifles.

correct me if I'm wrong, but if you MOVE to MA with firearms you already own, nothing is required. But if you, as a resident of MA, BOUGHT an M1 at CMP in OH or AL, and brought it back, then you'd have to EFA-10 it.

correct me if I'm wrong, but if you MOVE to MA with firearms you already own, nothing is required. But if you, as a resident of MA, BOUGHT an M1 at CMP in OH or AL, and brought it back, then you'd have to EFA-10 it.
What, people don't move here and voluntarily register?

LOL, you are technically correct. I should have used your example instead.

As the CMP is allowed by congressional decree to ship rifles to your doorstep, there is no seller present during your registration. The key word is 'registration'. You are not entering a sale but a registration, basically the same as if you moved here with a M1 and therefore you leave the seller blank.

Congrats on the nice rifles.
Thanks for the guidance and helping me with the explanation.

Nice a balance of old and less old. Now a range report , head to head whats better a old rifle or a older rifle!
I can't wait to go and shoot them. Waiting for a friend who has one to come over and show me all the ins and outs in person and make sure we are all clean and safe before firing them.

I can't wait to go and shoot them. Waiting for a friend who has one to come over and show me all the ins and outs in person and make sure we are all clean and safe before firing them.
CMP function tests before they mail them, but it's always good to be doubly sure (and to lubricate it properly), as well as to familiarize yourself with how it works and is assembled/disassembled.

Make sure to use a nice grease. The original Mobil 1 tube I bought years ago still has a ton left.

Now I need CMP to put up 7.62x51 and/or IHC M1s again! My last Garand order was a little over four years ago now...

CMP function tests before they mail them, but it's always good to be doubly sure (and to lubricate it properly), as well as to familiarize yourself with how it works and is assembled/disassembled.

Make sure to use a nice grease. The original Mobil 1 tube I bought years ago still has a ton left.

Now I need CMP to put up 7.62x51 and/or IHC M1s again! My last Garand order was a little over four years ago now...
Im not so sure its complete function test. They fire a few test rounds.
One Note: CMP does not LUBE anything. At best the anti corrosive coating might be applied well and possible some old grease or cosmo left over from the dunk through the cleaning tank if it got that far.

One Note: CMP does not LUBE anything. At best the anti corrosive coating might be applied well and possible some old grease or cosmo left over from the dunk through the cleaning tank if it got that far.
Good point, test firing is what I meant but you are correct that they don't check things like the sights working, etc. And they definitely don't lubricate the rifles.

I think the state gives us 7 days to register a firearm, whether brought into the state, CMP, whatever. Normally the gun shop will do it, but at gun portal select registration, as Mountain stated.

I remember when I recieved my M1 "Special" from the CMP I was very surprised it was shipped bone dry and void of any lube. Luckily I did have experience from my previous M1A maintenence teardonws, so even before firing I dissasembled and lubed up my M1. I too have much respect for Mobil 1 grease, especially shooting my millsurps in very cold weather.

I remember when I recieved my M1 "Special" from the CMP I was very surprised it was shipped bone dry and void of any lube. Luckily I did have experience from my previous M1A maintenence teardonws, so even before firing I dissasembled and lubed up my M1. I too have much respect for Mobil 1 grease, especially shooting my millsurps in very cold weather.
This is why it comes with the "read this first" thing,
No new gun comes lubed,
They have a rust inhibitor on them and they are anything but lube. Some turn to nassty tar if you dont remove it.

Shot one of my M1's in minus 7 degree weather with Mobil 1 lube. Decent accuracy too.

I like RemOil for misc purposes but it turns to gum below the low teens.

Is this moral? (not mine!! from Dupage trading Co)

View attachment 535448
LOL that is tempting- I might set one up in that stock for Mrs. Mountain but occasionally bring it to a match for shits and grins. Pardoning the pun, she gets a kick out of shooting larger calibers. My Gramps would have found this stock amusing, and he fought the Japanese with a M1 during a very long deployment in WW2 with the 32nd Infantry. If he were still with us, he'd be more interested in the strength and stiffness of the laminate and how it might make a better shooting gun.

I rather see this even with hot pink ceracoat. Blasting away vs all the garands for ever collecting dust in a closet.
Get out and let them live!y
My dream Garand is one of those still in the wrapper unissued rifles. I'd rip it out of the package, hose it down with some lube, drag a bore snake through it, then shoot it in a match.

My dream Garand is one of those still in the wrapper unissued rifles. I'd rip it out of the package, hose it down with some lube, drag a bore snake through it, then shoot it in a match.

Unissued? Not me! I'd caress and fondle that primadonna, and then gingerly place that purebred doll, with gloved hands of course, back in her velvet lined throne in my safe, surrounded by warmth and soft music. I might consider having her put in a museum if they establish a Ridleyman Room. Her bastardized, yet hearty, cousins will be the ones that I take to the battlefield-er-range. [smile]

Unissued? Not me! I'd caress and fondle that primadonna, and then gingerly place that purebred doll, with gloved hands of course, back in her velvet lined throne in my safe, surrounded by warmth and soft music. I might consider having her put in a museum if they establish a Ridleyman Room. Her bastardized, yet hearty, cousins will be the ones that I take to the battlefield-er-range. [smile]
Theres plenty in museums , chootit!

Theres plenty in museums , chootit!
right. unless it's an example by an otherwise unknown mfg, or an experimental configuration that we don't have samples of, it's just another M1. Even in "unissued" condition, it's not actually in "new" condition - it's been sitting somewhere for 60+ years, decomposing.

Even in "unissued" condition, it's not actually in "new" condition - it's been sitting somewhere for 60+ years, decomposing.
5rr98l.jpg

They probably have been up for a while but I noticed Special Racks back up.
I do believe cmp and others when they said there was a many rifles in less than good condition. My guess theres alot more field grades and less than usable barreled actions that became “specials”
The rack grade specials are a decent deal for a shooter.
New stock and barrel going to run you $300 before install.

Based on dates sent to CMP for those now receiving their IHC Service Grades, looks like I'm getting very close. The ones getting pics posted on that forum are on the very upper end of Service Grade condition, with some really nice parts and stocks. Hope I don't get the dregs...

Based on dates sent to CMP for those now receiving their IHC Service Grades, looks like I'm getting very close. The ones getting pics posted on that forum are on the very upper end of Service Grade condition, with some really nice parts and stocks. Hope I don't get the dregs...
Just got email for a field I ordered in May I believe.

Just got email for a field I ordered in May I believe.
The person who just posted the IHC SG sent the order via snail mail, so it would have been received first week or so of April. Mine was received 4/9.

Seems like a mixed bag of great and not so great fulfillments. Even not so great are still a pretty good deal via CMP pricing. I'd like to get one with a decent barrel to take to a CMP match "as received" from CMP and get a decent score.

Back
Top Bottom