• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lubricants - What do you recommend?

I'm a big fan of using a strong spray solvent followed up by application of oil. Please don't recommend CLP.

I use Hoppe's Precision Lubricating Oil.
It's only a small bottle. But the needle applicator makes applying oil really easy (And a full bottle lasts me a very long time), and costs less than $10 on amazon.

Anyone have recommendations for bulk oil? If I could find packs of these, or a big bottle of oil to fill up my applicator bottle, I'd be pretty happy.

Last edited:
I use transmission fluid in my transmission and Mil-Comm light grease and light oil in my guns.

I used "Break Free" for many years with great results but began to look for a cheaper lube when the price for a 4 oz bottle went to $6.00 at the local gun shop. I settled on 20 wt synthetic motor oil for my centerfire guns. This stuff is working great for short $; a quart is less than $10.

I use whichever bottle of synthetic motor oil I have kicking around, typically Mobil 1.

It doesn't seem to me that firearms are a particularly challenging environment that needs some super-special lubricant -- pressures and temperatures just aren't that high.

t doesn't seem to me that firearms are a particularly challenging environment that needs some super-special lubricant -- pressures and temperatures just aren't that high.

They're not and I'm sure ATF or motor oil works just fine. I like the Mil-Comm stuff because it works great and it's basically just mineral oil with some teflon in it. Completely non-toxic and you could drink the stuff if you really wanted to. Who knows what's going into synthetic motor oil and ATF but whatever it is I don't want it all over my skin, in my eyes, etc.

(We'll leave that for Blitz. [devil])

Last edited:
For moving parts I just use bicycle grease or tenacious oil (both Phil Wood products). For the bore CLP.

I find bicycle products work well on any part that the bullet doesn't touch and I always have that stuff around.

BTW..that tenacious oil is awesome stuff, it really sticks to moving parts w/o being to gummy in the cold like grease.

I use a 50/50 mix of synthetic motor oil and synthetic ATF. I mixed together a quart of each about 5 years ago and haven't even put a dent in it. I probably have enough gun lube for a lifetime.

It's all cheap. If a bottle of super spec awesome operator lube (patent pending) costs ten bucks and you get 1,000 applications out if it it comes out to a penny per application. I got a big bottle of the mil-comm on sale and I suspect my kids will be using it after I'm gone.

It's all cheap. If a bottle of super spec awesome operator lube (patent pending) costs ten bucks and you get 1,000 applications out if it it comes out to a penny per application. I got a big bottle of the mil-comm on sale and I suspect my kids will be using it after I'm gone.

atf is superior to gun oils and is far cheaper.

BTW..that tenacious oil is awesome stuff, it really sticks to moving parts w/o being to gummy in the cold like grease.

I have some of that lying around. I'll have to give it a try.

Generally though, I agree with M1911. Any motor oil will be fine. As he said, guns are a mild environment compared to an engine. I always use synthetic in my cars so I pour the left over from oil changes in a 1qt container that has a bad Sharpie drawing of an AK47 on it. [mg]

I do use grease on the rails of some pistols.

Back
Top Bottom