• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC Question on moving to NH

BIG1PUN

NES Member
I mite be moving to Nh and I want to know what do I do with my ltc's I have a Ma ltc and a Nh non resident ltc any info would help

Sell all the non-MA approved guns to us folks still stuck here before you go. The money made off those sales will easily replace the guns (with leftover money) once you get to the sweet sweet freedom of NH

your MA LTC is void the day you move

Be prepared to bend over, jump through hoops, visit Chelsea, pay huge money, and get a T&H restricted MA Non Res Permit, even though you had an unrestricted LTC before as a resident.

NH is easy.

Download the application, bring it to your local PD, 2 weeks later you'll have a permit.

and as for the guns, please leave your good stuff behind in MA. You can buy new ones here for less money than you'll get for them in MA.

I bought a gen3 Glock 22 RTF2 today used for 400 bucks, a new glock is 499 in NH with 15 round magazines. How much are those in MA these days? Have I made my point?

Once you get your NH drivers license you can buy as many guns as you want. The P&R license is only needed for concealed carry or transporting loaded in your car.

Last edited:
Don't forget to notify CJIS and your issuing department within 30 days by Certified Mail. It's a legal requirement and failure to do so is grounds for never getting a MA NR LTC ever again.

you would have to notify by certified mail the licensing authority that issued the license and what ever other agencies are required by law to be notified in the manner prescribed by law that you have moved and within the time frame prescribed by law if you moved anywhere in MA from where you are now

your MA LTC is void the day you move

AAARGH, not this crap again.

You are required to notify the issuing PD and the CHSB of the change of address and, if they are doing their job properly (which you can expect they will), the LTC will be administratively cancelled.

There is NO statute that provides for "algorithmic termination" of an LTC the instant you move. You can be penalized for not providing the notification of change of address; the failure to do so can be used against you when applying for a non-resident LTC: and failure to get notice of cancellation or revocation of the LTC because you did not provide a timely change of address notice is not a defense to "not knowing it was revoked".

I challenge you to show the statue that causes a resident LTC to become instantly invalid when you move.

Thanks for info. If I was to move to another Ma city ( thats green )would I have to do the same things?

You must notify the chief of police in the town that issued your LTC, you must notify the chief of police of the town you move to, and you must notify the state. All notifications must be made using certified mail. http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/moving.html

A respected gun attorney has told me he considers the current wording of the law implies instant invalidity since the original license is premised on residency, so my conclusion is in doubt.

On a semi-related matter - when you change addresses, save the certified mail cards until after your next renewal. They will come in handy if the issuing PD for your renewal claims you never notified them (just imagine if a dept like Brookline misplaced a change of address - they would jump on any excuse to deny an application).

Rob,

The only point I disagree with you on is this . . . keep the cards FOREVER! You never know when a PD (like Brookline) will dig up an old allegation and try to crucify you with it!!

ETA: There is no "statute of limitations" on a chief declaring you "unsuitable"!!!

Back
Top Bottom