LTC,How long to wait?

SnakeEye

Banned
I know the 40 days info posted on Packing.org, but is that the letter of the law or a best guess?
im at about the 60 day mark, can i just assume with no notificiation that i have been denied?

The 40 days is in the MA laws....however, that doesn't mean that they have to follow it. Our students have gotten theirs within 3 weeks to 3 months. There's no ryhme or reason to it. Have you called the PD to find out if they've heard anything?

no,i have not as i didnt want to cause waves or be consdiered a "nuisance", as im sure they do not consider such things a priority.
but at the same time, I want to make sure not to let things slide.
I guess i will wait till a week or so before my 90 days expires and if i have not heard by then take matters to the next stage.
id love to hear from anyone who has been through the process of fighting a denial> i would like very much to prepare myself for the possibility of that albeit unwarranted, but possible outcome and be as prepeared as possible if and when it does.
knowledge is power, and right now im not very well armed in regards to information regarding the appeals process.

Snake, where do you live? You could call them and say "I was just wondering if there's been any word on my renewal as yet?" You could tell them that you've heard it's been taking a while and since you've only got the 90 day grace period you're concerned. Be pleasant - they shouldn't mind answering your question. Well...most of them don't anyway.

It is very common for folks to end up getting their LTC >40 days after applying. The law that requires a PD to approve or deny within 40 days was written with absolutely NO TEETH, there is no penalty for them to take longer than that.

The law states that you can treat a "no response" after 40 days as a denial and file a court appeal. Problem is that if you do that, your chief may well deny you for real, citing "suitable person" reasons and almost every judge in MA will accept his side of the story. Politely inquiring after 1 month is not unreasonable. As much as they don't see any importance in "rapid response" to an applicant, they are not likely to get pissed at you if you check in with them after 30-40 days and each month thereafter.

If it were me, I'd call them and politely ask "if there is any problem".

I know the Feeling, SnakeEye. When I applied for my licence when I moved here from Maine I wanted an ALP, but I felt pressured into getting a "Restricted to Target and Hunting" LTC.

I could have pressed the issue, but I wanted to be shooting and buying guns and ammo in this state as soon as possible, and I didn't want them to drag thier feet.

Now I'm going to see if I can re-apply...waiting for a call right now.

-Weer'd Beard

Theres such a slew of insufficient and contradictory information regarding the process in this state its a wonder anyone can navigate it. It really is something to go thru this process, someone should make a documentary showing what a convoluted and frustrating process it is
A documentary or a comedy! :)

in the meantime i will just wait it out until i get closer to the ultimate 90 day past deadline. patience is a virtue

72 days for me, applied early january this year

There is a forum in MIRCS, like this, for MIRCS operators.
They all report that Dept of Mental Health is the holdup.

I inquired after 6 weeks, just said "I havent heard anything, are you waiting for any more information from me?" or something to that "what can i do for YOU" effect.....

I wish i had known about this forum before i applied, I learned alot reading thru here that i wasnt aware of. such as time stamping.
this place is very much off the radar, luckily someone from thefiringline.com pointed me over here.

Well I just got off the Phone with Sargent Santangelo of Belmont.

Starting off I must say I was very impressed with him. he was VERY nice and more important, frank.

According to him Belmont issues only restricted LTC permits at max (thoe they will issue Class A LTC) but not a LTC ALP unless you give a "Good Reason" and the according to him the Cheif belives there is no such thing.

Frankly I feel pissed and a little violated (Mass does that to me).

Well I think there are two things on my Agenda now.

#1. Join Goal
#2 destroy a TON of my ammo (that makes me feel better)

So I think I'm gonna swing by Mass rifle around 6-ish

So if ya gots nothing to do, and wanna Meet the Beard Feel free to say "hi"

And I do answer to "Weer'd Beard"

-Weer'd

At least he was up front about it. Now you just have to plan your escape to a friendlier town.

BTW, the ventilation in the Loeb range was on the fritz yesterday. I ended up just propping open the doors to Pope to get a little circulation but I don't know if I'd want to do that today.

DR: did you turn the timer?

They never told me that when I certifed in Loeb, but the blower is on a timer so it shuts off if somebody leaves it on.

And Hells no, I've only lived in this god-forsaken State for a little more than 2 years and I've had two addresses!

Thank you, I'll stay put!

But I will eat up as much ammo as I can handle. My Geek-on-call (all computer hot-rodders should have one! 8) ) is comeing over, So I get to show it "Sergi" my Mosin Nagant. I think he'll like it!

Hope to see some others there too! 8)

-Weer'd Beard

PS: I had to move out of Medford because the realestate was so hight the Landlord turned our apartment into Condos....and I didn't have a spare $300,000 for PART of a house.....

Better yet, the f***er owes us Money, and we suspect he's broke.

jeeze I'm cranky.....

Weer'd beard said:
DR: did you turn the timer?

They never told me that when I certifed in Loeb, but the blower is on a timer so it shuts off if somebody leaves it on.

Yep. I head over there on my lunch hour a fair bit. If I only set the timer for 30-40 minutes I won't spend the entire afternoon there. If I leave my cow-orkers alone for too long there's no telling what they'll get up to. :D

300+ rounds of ammo later I feel much better!

And a conciquence of this? I have to go to Coin Collectors Tommroa and buy more ammo! OH NOS!!! 8) [lol]

Yarrrr

Oh and my Buddy is in LOVE with my Mosin Nagant 8)

I asked him when he was gonna send in for his permit....he said he was thinking about it! 8)

That's progress!

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

I got it! Class A unrestricted all lawfull purposes, seems patience does come in handy now and again :D
My faith in humanity is now restored :)

i fell like Christmas came a month early

Tagging this tread

Any one who has any type of issue or problem with their application of LTC or FID, first or renewal please call me at 508-393-5333 ext 203 or leave a message at ext 205 with your name and address.

GOAL is currently compiling complaints regarding issuance of licenses. If you would like to download a form go to:
www.goal.org/complaint.pdf Acrobat Reader is need. Print out the form and send it to :

GOAL
PO Box 567
Northboro, MA 01532

Thanks,

Sean

ETA: Congrats SnakeEye

Still waiting on mine. I think they are sitting on it as I have talked to my friends to see if any LEO or the license person called them for character references. Nothing yet.

Submitted the forms on Sept 20th. Called them on Oct 11th to inquire on the progress. They said they haven't gotten anything back from the state yet. Then the next day I noticed the check for 100 was deposited on the 12th.

So going on 6.5 - 7 week mark and nothing yet. I'm wondering if I should use the Oct 11th date as the benchmark since that is the day they cashed my check. In any case, I think will call them again week to check on the progress.

This delay is all sort of weird since when I went in to submit my application, the license admin typed all my info into MIRCs (I think), took my digital picture and a biometric fingerprint. I would have thought with all these technological advances the waiting period should be down to less than a week or so.

pj150 said:
This delay is all sort of weird since when I went in to submit my application, the license admin typed all my info into MIRCs (I think), took my digital picture and a biometric fingerprint. I would have thought with all these technological advances the waiting period should be down to less than a week or so.

wow , they didnt have any of those fancy electronic gizmos at my police station. hell i had to bring my own photos and did the good ol fashioned ink on card method for my fingerprints.
i even have the older style permit that i think they arent supposed to be using anymore. it looks nothing like the updated one on packing.org

I don't think everyone is current on the laws as well. I have an old FID that expired in 2004. A few LEO's said that since there is such a big backup on licenses, it was still good for another 2 years. Being that, I was put off on renewing until I decided that I think I have waited long enough. Since the LTC is the same price as a FID, I went for the class A. I wasn't even thinking about a LTC until the Sergant in Westboro said "you might as well".

Not sure who or what to believe but until I get a valid card, I have put off all hunting and shooting related activites on hold. Call me paranoid but I transferred the one shotgun that I own away until I am legal again.

braintree

i was wondering if anybody has got the ltc alp in braintree
i have a friend that has been waiting for 8 weeks now
and has got no response as of yet.i only waited 2 weeks in my
town and got a ltc alp class a.any help would be great
because i think he is going to kill me for asking him
every day if he got the call yet :D

pj150 said:
I don't think everyone is current on the laws as well. I have an old FID that expired in 2004. A few LEO's said that since there is such a big backup on licenses, it was still good for another 2 years. Being that, I was put off on renewing until I decided that I think I have waited long enough. Since the LTC is the same price as a FID, I went for the class A. I wasn't even thinking about a LTC until the Sergant in Westboro said "you might as well".

Not sure who or what to believe but until I get a valid card, I have put off all hunting and shooting related activites on hold. Call me paranoid but I transferred the one shotgun that I own away until I am legal again.

I don't remember what the FID dates were now, however, because there was a MAJOR backlog, cards that were issued and due to expire were extended anywhere from 1 to 2 years. I don't know if yours fell in to that, but... Anyone else got that expiration list?? (and as an aside, I love it when they say "you might as well" :D )

Back
Top Bottom