• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How long does LTC renewal take ?

Greetings,

Wondering how long license renewal took for you.

I have a gun on layaway and curious if I should even continue it.

Thanks,
-Roscoe

Big thread on this. My town was quick in OCT 2022. Good Luck!

So I have heard ... mine expires next March, sent the last renewal in about 2.5 months ago ... we'll see if that was enough time or not ...
Only 6 months prior? Definitely not enough time. Last I heard it was taking anywhere between 9-12 months. You pretty much have to submit your renewal for your next LTC as soon as you get issued your current LTC.

My recent renewal took over 3 months. Expiration was in June, I called in January and was given an April appointment, they wouldn’t give me a sooner appointment.
Turned in the paperwork in April and paid the fee. Was told not to call to check the status until early June. I started calling in May…..they got pissed that I was calling weekly (small number of officers who handle ltc’s) And kept blaming the delay on the State. LTC expired in June and I got the new one two weeks after expiration.

How did this get unlocked for being a dupe of an existing thread for LTC wait times? Or have I floated in and out of some sort of time warp and saw the future lock of this thread? If I start taking pictures of winning Powerball numbers will that pic still be in my phone when I warp back to the present time?

giphy.gif

And oh, IBTL.
[rofl]

have we decided if the delay was at the local level or not? the norm for me, every renewal, is 3-4 weeks. i've gone through the same ritual every renewal. instead of asking here, i call the station and speak to the person doing renewals. i get the same answer, they're backed up, come in next week. this is late june for a november renewal. i go in right after the july 4th weekend holiday and always...always have my new ltc in hand no later than 2nd week of august. my fear is losing it before it's valad. and yes, they mail it out. i cringe reading some of the stories here.

and once, i forgot my pin. i walked across the four seasons parking lot to the police station. i was back at four seasons completing the transaction in 15 minutes with a fresh copy of the state pin letter in hand. i dunno, i wish we didn't need this bullshit but....

Normally my town is about 3 weeks, my last (June) was 7 weeks. My daughter just got her first timer, same town, took 12 weeks.

There is no magic formula to guess when a renewal will be complete. Some towns are fast and some are slow... add in the state and just submit it before expiration and wait it out.

I'm in that boat now too. My LTC expires in a couple of weeks. I have my receipt, so I'll just wait

Greetings,

Thanks,
-Roscoe
If you have your MIRCS receipt, your LTC is not expired. Your experience is why the law was updated in 2014.

You can run a check on the portal to confirm. You can also call FLRB to get a status on your renewal, which will be more useful than asking folks who renewed their LTCs in other towns, potentially more than five years ago, to tell you about their experiences.

If your dealer won't follow the law, find a new one.

Since you requested a citation before, here it is:

(i) A license to carry or possess firearms shall be valid, unless revoked or suspended, for a period of not more than 6 years from the date of issue and shall expire on the anniversary of the licensee's date of birth occurring not less than 5 years nor more than 6 years from the date of issue; provided, however, that, if the licensee applied for renewal before the license expired, the license shall remain valid after its expiration date for all lawful purposes until the application for renewal is approved or denied[...]

Last edited:
No one truly knows. Every single time there are different circumstances. Try it and see how it works for you. Renew as early as your local PD allows.

If you have your MIRCS receipt, your LTC is not expired. Your experience is why the law was updated in 2014.

You can run a check on the portal to confirm. You can also call FLRB to get a status on your renewal, which will be more useful than asking folks who renewed their LTCs in other towns, potentially more than five years ago, to tell you about their experiences.

If your dealer won't follow the law, find a new one.

Since you requested a citation before, here it is:

(i) A license to carry or possess firearms shall be valid, unless revoked or suspended, for a period of not more than 6 years from the date of issue and shall expire on the anniversary of the licensee's date of birth occurring not less than 5 years nor more than 6 years from the date of issue; provided, however, that, if the licensee applied for renewal before the license expired, the license shall remain valid after its expiration date for all lawful purposes until the application for renewal is approved or denied[...]

Thanks for the reference. The gun store said the state police told them it’s only for carry purposes. (Old glory guns and ammo in greenfield, nh)

All I know is that I wanted to give my son his first rifle for his 13 birthday and I can’t.

Went to a different store, the ATF happened to be there and advised not to do the sale. I can keep trying them i guess.

In Mansfield, my LTC renewal (expires in November) was submitted on 6/1, ready for pickup on 9/7 (99 days). My wife's renewal (expires January) was submitted on 7/1, ready for pickup on 9/21 (83 days).

Last edited:
Greetings,

Thanks,
-Roscoe

That partially depends how long your city/town takes to get it to the firearms records bureau in Chelsea.

Yes the state is supposedly backlogged / behind; but quite often cities and towns take 2, 3, 4 or even 6 months to send it out to Chelsea.

Once you "know" your City/Town has forwarded it to the Records Bureau you can call the state to check the status of it.

Firearms Records Bureau 200 Arlington St # 2200, Chelsea, MA 02150. Phone # 617-660-4782. Open M-F 9am-5pm. They rarely answer the phone near lunch time.

Thanks for the reference. The gun store said the state police told them it’s only for carry purposes. (Old glory guns and ammo in greenfield, nh)

All I know is that I wanted to give my son his first rifle for his 13 birthday and I can’t.

Went to a different store, the ATF happened to be there and advised not to do the sale. I can keep trying them i guess.
I'm sorry to hear you've had such bad lock in choosing FFLs that don't understand what "if the licensee applied for renewal before the license expired, the license shall remain valid after its expiration date for all lawful purposes until the application for renewal is approved or denied" means.

I hope your luck improves when you reach out to one of NES's favorites at the mill.

Back
Top Bottom