LTC coming up on a CORI background check

Keop

NES Member
My step-daughter is off to private school next week and we were asked to host some international students in our home for a few days and help them get settled. We were asked to fill out a form for a CORI check. I was just told today that we could not be hosts due to the fact that I have a LTC. I was never asked if we had firearms in the home and I am quite surprised that this information was available to the school (maybe I shouldn't be surprised? LOL). Anyhow, everyone is pretty disappointed but I am sure as hell not giving up any rights to be a friend to others.

Which really leads me to my question. What information is out there publicly connecting us to our firearms? How was filling out a CORI form when you have no criminal records or contact with law enforcement whatsoever turning up my LTC?

Last edited:
I fill out a cori almost every year and it's never been an issue. It was for school chaperones and religious ed teaching

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

interesting. i had to do 2 cori checks for 2 different schools i was looking into after i was laid off 18 mos ago. they sent me copies of what they got back and no mention of an ltc. something that just started to show maybe?

did they send you copies of the check as well?

Thanks for the information Gary, have you seen your report by any chance? Does the CORI show a person is licensed if so licensed? I thought it was for criminal convictions not using your constitutionally protected rights but I often forget what state I live in, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

I have not got a copy so I will ask for one. Maybe the school lawyers had access and went beyond what was authorized. Just got the call today so I was pretty caught off guard.

There are multiple levels of CORI access. An LTC will definitely show up in the LE version, but may not show up in one of the several lower levels of access.

I didn't bother checking mine.
I bet the company that runs the student exchange found out some other way and blamed the cori

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

CORI Unit Overview

What is CORI?* C.O.R.I. is; Criminal Offender Record Information, which consists of records and data in any communicable form compiled by a Massachusetts criminal justice agency about an identifiable individual that relate to:

Nature or disposition of a criminal charge,

An arrest,

A pre-trial proceeding,

Other judicial proceedings,

Sentencing,

Incarceration,

Rehabilitation,

Release

Does*not*include juvenile history, except for charges on which a juvenile was adjudicated as an adult.

For additional information, or answers to questions not found on this site, please contact the Constituent Assistance & Research Call Center at (617) 660-4640 Monday thru Friday, 8:00AM-6:00PM or you can email us*[email protected]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

There are multiple levels of CORI access. An LTC will definitely show up in the LE version, but may not show up in one of the several lower levels of access.
i had a feeling that might be the case. i'm sure the op's check went deeper than mine since he was going to host students. i was just going to mingle with them. lol

I guess I could have saved everyone a lot of trouble if they asked about firearms in the home.

I am still stumped how I was connected to having an LTC though as we just filled out a CORI form.

I didn't bother checking mine.
I bet the company that runs the student exchange found out some other way and blamed the cori

I'll bet that you are correct. Perhaps thru DYS or similar state org . . . or illegally by requesting LTC info from a PD that gave it out, contrary to MGL C. 66 S. 10(d).

That's because the police do NOT use CORI but use BOP and III for their sources, plus CJIS Web and LEAPS.

I fill out CORI forms every year to volunteer at the school and to help coach. I've never had any issues because of my LTC. I didn't think it showed up when the school ran a CORI.

My guess is they had a cop (illegally) run you through his (or her) MIRCS system, rather than pay $25 for each CORI.

Someone can get into a boatload of trouble if you decide to make a stink.

This is EXACTLY what happened. CORI and MIRCS are two different systems. I've seen this before and looked into it.

If someone tells you that your CORI indicates that you have an LTC: 1) ask to see their copy of the CORI, 2) tell them that it's not possible to learn that information from a CORI, 3) inform them that there's no way that this formation could have been LAWFULLY disclosed to them, 4) ask them how they REALLY came by that information.

Thanks for the all the information everyone. My gut told me that the whole thing is not on the up and up. This is not the type of school that would dodge paying $25 for a CORI so I am pretty disappointed in the whole affair at this point. Will have to think about any next steps.

Thanks for the all the information everyone. My gut told me that the whole thing is not on the up and up. This is not the type of school that would dodge paying $25 for a CORI so I am pretty disappointed in the whole affair at this point. Will have to think about any next steps.

They're not dodging the $25. They're paying a retired cop private investigator to look into people's background. He does that using his friends that are still cops.

Did they ask you if you use legal weed? [rolleyes][/QUOTE]

That's too funny... now if they only saw my neighbors garden.

On a side note, I am sure there must be some sort of tracking system on searches? I did see a number for the Massachusetts Criminal Justice Information Services Division on the MIRCS website to call about abuse.

Last edited:
Ask them if the foreign students would like to experience the exhilaration of American Freedom out on the range at one of our fine clubs!
a true education - don't want them to be of the opinion that we all just sit around knitting pink hats ;)

Good heavens! You have a state-issued license that proves that you passed federal and state background checks, have no history of mental illness, have never been in jail, etc? You're clearly not fit to be around anyone! [rolleyes]

I've been CORI'd for public school activities and youth programs. Never an issue. LTC never came up. Something very fishy here. I'd like to know what really happened too.

Something isn't right, you should definitely make an issue of this. Someone is giving out information that they shouldn't.

I know!! I suggested to my step-daughter, who loves shooting BTW, to start a Jr. Rifle Shooting Team.

Ask them if the foreign students would like to experience the exhilaration of American Freedom out on the range at one of our fine clubs!
a true education - don't want them to be of the opinion that we all just sit around knitting pink hats ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I will drink to that [laugh2]

Good heavens! You have a state-issued license that proves that you passed federal and state background checks, have no history of mental illness, have never been in jail, etc? You're clearly not fit to be around anyone! [rolleyes]

Were there any other releases bundled in the request?

Maybe the school called your hometown pd and asked about your address / street / neighborhood?

They may have asked something like tell us a story about 123 m street x town and around they have applied to be foster family anything we should be aware of? PD says yeah dad has an ltc large pitbull, they live next to a chemical plant, under high tension wires 7 calls for service to the neighbors for loud music, fd ems responded for a broken leg, etc etc

Were there any other releases bundled in the request?

Maybe the school called your hometown pd and asked about your address / street / neighborhood?

They may have asked something like tell us a story about 123 m street x town and around they have applied to be foster family anything we should be aware of? PD says yeah dad has an ltc large pitbull, they live next to a chemical plant, under high tension wires 7 calls for service to the neighbors for loud music, fd ems responded for a broken leg, etc etc

. . . which would be a violation of MGL C. 66 S. 10(d), not that many PDs would care about that.

Did they ask you if you use legal weed? [rolleyes]

That's too funny... now if they only saw my neighbors garden.

On a side note, I am sure there must be some sort of tracking system on searches? I did see a number for the Massachusetts Criminal Justice Information Services Division on the MIRCS website to call about abuse.[/QUOTE]

Every CJIS query is logged. When a cop runs your plate, he can see who else has run it recently.

I would definitely follow up on this and piss on their parade

"What you tolerate you validate"---a wise NESer a while back.

If it's happened to you, it probably has happened to someone else. Imagine if more people come forward if you do. I agree with Goliathan. Get to the bottom of this and hold them accountable.

Hello all,

I wanted to update anyone interested on this. I did contact the Firearms Bureau and was referred to the Legal Division. There is a tracking system in place and they began the process and the back trace turned up clean. On the day I heard back I also found out from a school administrator that we were basically the subject of a "whispering campaign" by some mothers who knew that my daughter and I both enjoyed shooting. This is a fairly low profile activity for us as neither of us really talk about it much and certainly don't run around flaunting it. Needless to say after a discussion with the senior administrators and a little education on MA firearms laws, safety, etc. they changed the decision. We were happy to welcome our students and everyone settled in for the school year without anymore drama.

Thanks everyone for the advice and thoughts!

Back
Top Bottom