LTC-B -> First Purchase?

I got a Walther P99C AS in 9mm first. These were my first two targets with it:
DSC00256.jpg

Last edited:
My first, well, maybe my second....I asked this same question. From the input I made a list, went down to the candy store and "tasted" them and "felt them up"....came away with my guy, er, gun....[grin]

Maybe a 1911 .45 ACP.

Can I get one of the Para Ordnance compact 1911s?
Since you can't carry concealed I wouldn't get a compact. But I would definitely suggest a 1911, just maybe not as a first gun. If you have shooting experience go for it, if not you might want to start with a .22 or 9mm. Just a thought.

Since you can't carry concealed I wouldn't get a compact. But I would definitely suggest a 1911, just maybe not as a first gun. If you have shooting experience go for it, if not you might want to start with a .22 or 9mm. Just a thought.

I've shot a Beretta 92FS and Glock 22 effectively. Neither of which I can own.

I guess my ideal LTC-B semi-auto would hold 10 rounds of .40 S&W. Any suggestions?

108509_large.jpg

Model: 4003TSW
Caliber: .40S&W
Capacity: 10+1 Rounds
Barrel Length: 4"
Front Sight: Dot Front Sight
Rear Sight: Adjustable
Grip: Plastic Grip
Frame: Large
Finish: Matte
Overall Length: 7 1/2"
Material: Stainless Steel
Weight Empty: 37 oz.

Any dealers who on here who can get one of these and sell it to me?

Last edited:
Call a gun store and see what they will sell you with your LTC-B. You're going to be pretty limited. And there's no point for you to get a compact gun unless you just "feel" like it since you can't carry.

Good luck and congrats on the license.

Call a gun store and see what they will sell you with your LTC-B. You're going to be pretty limited. And there's no point for you to get a compact gun unless you just "feel" like it since you can't carry.

Good luck and congrats on the license.

A compact gun for a compact man [smile]

A compact gun for a compact man [smile]

Unless you're 4 feet tall or have unusually small hands I don't think a sub-compact .45ACP is going to be the right gun for you.

If you're a lightweight you'd probably be better off staying away from .45 ACP as your first caliber and going with 9mm.

And if you're a lightweight I think you'd want a bigger gun for stability, not smaller.

The same round in a smaller gun will mean it will require more effort on your behalf to control it.

You're pretty limited in what you can buy.
You certainly should own a 1911 at some point. That's a no brainer. If you wanted to stick with a 9mm 1911 I think you're out of luck. I think most of the manufacturers who make them are not allowed to be sold in MA.

I'm not sure what other guns you can buy.
Maybe some Sig's and the S&W M&P but as other people had mentioned earlier, many shops may refuse to sell it to you due to the availability of aftermarket high capacity mags.

There are always revolvers. How about a S&W 500?

Oh screw it...

As soon as I get my license in the mail, I'm just going to walk into Four Seasons with a thousand bucks in my pocket. They should have something I'll like.

Going to need an evil black rifle of course.

Oh screw it...

As soon as I get my license in the mail, I'm just going to walk into Four Seasons with a thousand bucks in my pocket. They should have something I'll like.

Honestly, I would take some of that money and get a lawyer to change your license to a LTC-A.

Carl at Four Seasons will be very helpful.

Not sure if you just want to walk in and buy what they tell you. Research first.
I sort of did what you did. I ended up buying one and returning it within a day. They gave me great advice but sadly they aren't psychic and they can't predict what your needs will be. The gun was too small for me as well as too heavy. I bought another gun the day I returned it. I still have that one.

If someone on the boards is willing to sell to you, you will "usually" find better deals here than in a retail store.

This is a great gun and not easy to get in MA
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50780

An examples of a compact para's however since it was available with hi-caps I don't think you can buy it.
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47830
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49176

Here's a Sig 220 (Check magazine capacity)
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51360

A compact 9mm M&P
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48503

A S&W 1911PD is a really nice gun. The frame is a lighter Scandium metal alloy
http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50299

A good .357 revolver either a Ruger GP100 or a S&W 686 (new or used in either brand, or a Colt Trooper, King Cobra, or Python which will have to be used) with either a 4 or 6 inch barrel. You can shoot everything from mild .38 spl wadcutter target loads up through the hottest .357 magnums...great versatility, easy manual of arms...and since you can't carry weight and barrel length are moot. You can get aftermarket grips to fit your hand like a glove if you need them.

For a MA Class B LTC..a revolver is definitely the way to go.

Mark L.

A good .357 revolver either a Ruger GP100 or a S&W 686 (new or used in either brand, or a Colt Trooper, King Cobra, or Python which will have to be used) with either a 4 or 6 inch barrel. You can shoot everything from mild .38 spl wadcutter target loads up through the hottest .357 magnums...great versatility, easy manual of arms...and since you can't carry weight and barrel length are moot. You can get aftermarket grips to fit your hand like a glove if you need them.

Mark L.

+1

1911's are great, but for a first handgun, Mark is steering you right.

Mark L.

yep
686... find a used one for a good price, Its a great way to learn how to shoot

I have to ask...

...did you actually receive a Class B? Did you ask for it? or did you apply for Class A? If you have not yet received your license go beg the issuing officer to upgrade you to Class A, preferably Class A "All Lawful Purposes". Seriously - do what you can to NOT get a class B - there is simply no reason for it. The can give you a Class A "hunting and target" if they don't want you to carry.

On to your question:

There are LOTS of "first gun" threads here. The conventional wisdom, with which I (now) agree, is that you should get a .22lr pistol (revolver or semi-auto). Ruger or S&W are good choices. Now, if you are like me you will ignore that good advice because you want a "real" gun. In that case, I STRONGLY recommend a 9mm pistol. This is why:

1) 9mm is a perfectly acceptable defensive round. There are better, but it'll do nicely.
2) The recoil from a 9mm is not so bad and this will prevent you from developing bad habits (but .22lr will be even better for building good habits)
3) 9mm is the least expensive defensive round. If you intend to use this gun defensively you need to practice with it extensively. If you are squirming over the price of every shot you won't shoot much (yet another reason to get a .22 - so very cheap to shoot).

Another good choice is a 4" .357 magnum revolver. You can practice with .38spl rounds and use .357mag for defensive purposes. A S&W686 or Ruger SP101 are excellent choices.

Someone above said to get a bigger gun since you won't be carrying. This is good advice. Get the biggest you can comfortably handle. This will reduce felt recoil.

Good luck,
Matt

matt

if he is in canton, he is screwed. the COP is set in his ways and you will do nothing but waste your time and piss off the COP by going in without a lawyer.

Go with a 357 4 inch, as suggested above. They will not lose value, ammo is not expensive and there is a lot of range in recoil between the 38 standard loading up to the corbon 357's. You will be able to gauge if you are recoil sensitive or not. And 357 has (I believe) the consensus as best man stopper, to keep home and treasure safe.

Plus, whipping out an old model 19 is just about the best feeling there is, and they are super accurate and very pretty guns, to boot.

Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom