LTC at the Big Y

I was at the Big Y yesterday buying a few things, including a bottle of wine. The guy asked for ID. As I was looking for my license, he noticed my LTC, and said "is that your license to carry? I'd accept that." I was surprised, first off, that he noticed it as a LTC, and secondly, at the almost gleeful way he responded. This was very refreshing considering most posts here tell of less-than-positive experiences.

I was at the Big Y yesterday buying a few things, including a bottle of wine. The guy asked for ID. As I was looking for my license, he noticed my LTC, and said "is that your license to carry? I'd accept that." I was surprised, first off, that he noticed it as a LTC, and secondly, at the almost gleeful way he responded. This was very refreshing considering most posts here tell of less-than-positive experiences.

I've had bank tellers say they couldn't accept it! "so, I can buy a firearm, but can't cash this check?" " yup, that's right" [thinking]
I found a new bank. [smile]

I've had bank tellers say they couldn't accept it! "so, I can buy a firearm, but can't cash this check?" " yup, that's right" [thinking]
I found a new bank. [smile]

I had that happen to me at BOA....I asked the teller-" do you realize that I had to go through a federal backround check to get this?".....sorry sir I need a license.....

I've had bank tellers say they couldn't accept it! "so, I can buy a firearm, but can't cash this check?" " yup, that's right"

Driver's licenses are more secure, since (a) bank tellers are more familiar with them, and (b) They have much more advanced anti-forgery features that LTCs. Very little effort has been put into making MA LTC's resistant to forgery.

Printers to generate credit card size ID's are readily available, and as long ID card stock with a signature panel is used, near-perfect forgeries of LTCs would be easy for anyone with the printer and a PC. The hologram and wavy line pattern over the photo on a MA driver's license would both present duplication challenges far beyond those required to create a fake LTC.

So, I can't really blame banks on this one as there is a sound basis, not related to an anti-gun agenda, for such a policy.

We were told at work to NOT accept LTC's as a valid form of ID for booze. I'll take it as a backup, but not a primary ID. Plus you should have your DL more readily available than your LTC in my opinion, especially if you're at a bar or buying something that requires ID.

We were told at work to NOT accept LTC's as a valid form of ID for booze. I'll take it as a backup, but not a primary ID. Plus you should have your DL more readily available than your LTC in my opinion, especially if you're at a bar or buying something that requires ID.
Covered in another thread, but the law only protects the seller against an underage sale charge if the ID is forged or borrowed from someone resembling the buyer when relying on certain ID's such as a driver's license or passport. LTCs are NOT on the list, so the server has no defense if the person presenting the LTC is under age.

Once again a rational decision, not an anti-gun one.

Any reason why some liquor stores don't accept military ID cards
Ignorance. Military IDs are one of the "protected forms" of IDs servers may accept with the same protection as they are afforded with MA driver's licenses.

I used my LTC once when buying booze at a liquor store. The clerk said she didn't know if she could accept it and called over the manager. The manager looked it over and told her "if he has a gun, give him anything he wants".
[rofl]

I used my LTC once when buying booze at a liquor store. The clerk said she didn't know if she could accept it and called over the manager. The manager looked it over and told her "if he has a gun, give him anything he wants".
[rofl]

Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge, MA wouldn't take my LTC as a valid ID.

I was at the Big Y yesterday buying a few things, including a bottle of wine. The guy asked for ID. As I was looking for my license, he noticed my LTC, and said "is that your license to carry? I'd accept that." I was surprised, first off, that he noticed it as a LTC, and secondly, at the almost gleeful way he responded.
I'd bet money that he's got an LTC of his own.

I had that happen to me at BOA....I asked the teller-" do you realize that I had to go through a federal backround check to get this?".....sorry sir I need a license.....
Your mistake was in going to BOA.

The manager looked it over and told her "if he has a gun, give him anything he wants".
happy50.gif

I don't think LTCs are acceptable forms of ID for this purpose. I remember a prior post about the topic.

Secondly, why would you display the contents of your wallet to a complete and total stranger? I would also keep the fact that you have an LTC to your immediate friends and family. Else, somebody now knows you're carrying. YMMV.

Secondly, why would you display the contents of your wallet to a complete and total stranger?

Some people enjoy standing out like a turd in a punchbowl. I prefer to get lost in a crowd of one.

It's amazing how many people place their LTC in their wallet so it is visible whenever they open it to pay for anything - I keep mine buried. If I want someone I am dealing with at a store to know I have an LTC, it means I'm either buying ammo or looking at a gun.

Last edited:
Nothing was on display here, just looking for the drivers license. I was hunting early that morning, and my wallet was soaked! Later I checked to see if the license was there, and I found it stuck to the back of another card. I don't really care what's acceptable or not, I just wanted to pay and leave.

The reason for mentioning this in the first place was to show an instance of a positive reaction. Hopefully, others could share some positive experiences.
I don't think LTCs are acceptable forms of ID for this purpose. I remember a prior post about the topic. Secondly, why would you display the contents of your wallet to a complete and total stranger? I would also keep the fact that you have an LTC to your immediate friends and family. Else, somebody now knows you're carrying. YMMV.

I used my LTC as ID for my Microsoft Certification test.

I used my FL Permit for ID in getting Notarization of the FL form for renewal. I was asked why I used that (person knows me and I use DL all the other times) and I responded that the FL form requires her to put down what form of ID was used for Notarization and it was most appropriate to use a FL permit for my next renewal of said permit! [smile] It was asked as a "curiosity question" only, with no ill intent.

Otherwise, I use my DL for ID. Occasionally I've used my LE creds but only because it was easier to reach for some reason.

For the record, my comment about the turd in the punchbowl was not directed at the original poster. Once these threads start, they tend to become general discussions of an issue, and I was participating from that point of view.

Sometimes, the LTC will be the only handy ID - but on many occasions, the person presenting is using it to "make a point" (for example, one attorney I know will always use it at airports as his internal passport, even though he has a driver's license with him - and does so to make a point). Similarly, I often see people who put their LTC in the window pocket of their wallet - even though it is the document they will need least frequently. My personal preference is to not run around showing the LTC every time I buy alcohol, cash a check, cache a czech, etc. - but that's just my personal preference. It is not for me to judge the wisdom of others who feel that showing non-gun people that "we are everywhere" is a valid form of political action.

I did not mean to imply that the OP was one of the people who chooses to act thusly.

It's amazing how many people place their LTC in their wallet so it is visible whenever they open it to pay for anything - I keep mine buried. If I want someone I am dealing with at a store to know I have an LTC, it means I'm either buying ammo or looking at a gun.

As a NH resident I've yet to "need" my LTC. If I purchase a gun or ammo I only need my drivers license, so my NH P/R and NR MA LTC stay buried.

I have had my LTC turned down as a form of ID more often than not.

I figured it was largely due to the security reasons noted above, and have stopped trying to use it. Its a little unfortunate, because I do prefer to keep my DL in my glove box, so I don't have to take my wallet to the gym/remember to leave it in the car/put it back in my pocket the next day if I go to buy something/etc.

Frankly, its a non-issue though, because I think that in Massachusetts you can get a duplicate license for about 10 bucks. I suppose I should look into that.

My LTC stays in the inner pocket of my wallet, hidden from view. I've used it as ID a few times with mixed results. I used it to pick up a pass at Wildcat mountain because I left my DL in the car and got no reaction. I tried to use it in a liquor store because my DL had recently expired (I had renewed online), but they wouldn't take the LTC either. I won't be back there because of the crappy customer service in general.

I once showed my NH PRL to a LEO in a traffic stop and I got off with a warning. Whether the two are connected, I have no idea.

To each his own, but I certainly need my DL more often than my car does. [smile] [laugh]

Not to mention if someone breaks into your car they now have your home address. Just add a garage door opener into the mix, and you can do the math. This is why it is recommended to keep the registration on you instead of in the car also.

I was told at the liquor store I work at that the only form of ID we can accept is DLs. IF a customer walks in and gives me a Military ID and it is valid and the customer is of age...I will sell to them and thank them for thier service. If a customer hands me an LTC as ID...I will take it as long as all criteria listed above is met. Then have a laugh with them because I too are carrying.

Back
Top Bottom