Lost key to trigger lock....

Xak

How do I get this thing off? It's a Master brand trigger lock. I have a dremmel tool that cuts steel and I think (by comparing to an identical lock) if I cut the knob off the backside I can push the grooved thingy off the lock threads and slide it off.

Is this the best way? Just thought I'd ask before I go through the trouble, in case anyone else has a simpler way.

If it's not the most recent model, you can use a small screwdriver under the rubber to push the ratchet apart. If that doesn't work, I recommend a diamond shaped pick and a rigid tension wrench for a locksmithing tool kit - this is a reasonably high quality 4 pin lock, but I don't think they use anything problematic like spool or mushroom drivers. Then there is always the rotary pick (commonly used for assembling stages - ie, power drill).

I bet a locksmith would be able to do it in a minute

I wonder if that would be an option?

$10 per minute,

Reasonable locksmith,

Getting you gun without a scratch...

Priceless

Where are you located? There's only a handful of MasterLock trigger lock keys out there, and I have a bunch of them. One of my keys opened a Remington trigger lock at the Wilmington gun show earlier today, AAMOF...

Ask around at your local range - chances are you can find someone with a Master key that will open your lock.

Otherwise, it's hacksaw time...

i've taken off like 5 trigger locks by using 2 pairs of waterpump pliers and gabbing one side of the lock with 1 and grab the other side with the other and twist.the lock comes right off without hurting the gun

If it's not the most recent model, you can use a small screwdriver under the rubber to push the ratchet apart. If that doesn't work, I recommend a diamond shaped pick and a rigid tension wrench for a locksmithing tool kit - this is a reasonably high quality 4 pin lock, but I don't think they use anything problematic like spool or mushroom drivers. Then there is always the rotary pick (commonly used for assembling stages - ie, power drill).

You got it! I practiced on an identical lock several times without the rubber attached, and within 10 min. I popped the offending lock off by sliding an old knife under the rubber, along the post, and released the latch. Thanx for the tips!!

Did anyone else get a little nervous when the kid started pushing the ice pick down onto the gun lock while holding it in his lap?

Respectfully,

jkelly

You got it! I practiced on an identical lock several times without the rubber attached, and within 10 min. I popped the offending lock off by sliding an old knife under the rubber, along the post, and released the latch. Thanx for the tips!!
I remember flying to Toronto many years ago for a match, and the person I was with sweat the entire trip because he left his trigger lock key home. I kept telling him "don't worry, I'll take care of it" - but he didn't stop worrying until the lock popped off.

Glad to hear you got it off, but you would get more style points for manipulating the pins :)

I remember flying to Toronto many years ago for a match, and the person I was with sweat the entire trip because he left his trigger lock key home. I kept telling him "don't worry, I'll take care of it" - but he didn't stop worrying until the lock popped off.

Glad to hear you got it off, but you would get more style points for manipulating the pins :)

LOL.

But, now I'm worried about my safe not being so safe. There is a lot of scum bags that live near my area. Perhaps I can rig something someday so if the safe is moved it will trigger a loud house alarm.

I watched Richie from Richie's Sporting in Westport take one off using a small dentist style pick behind the rubber guard. As long as its not clamped down super tight you should be able to manipulate it.

I'll tell you what worked for me.

My grandfather died and left some guns behind, being the only one in the family with a firearms license (the rest being Hillery lovers), I took ownership of said firearms. A few of the guns had trigger locks on them and no keys to be found. I simply grabbed 18v cordless drill, loaded it up with a new 3/8" bit and drilled clear through both sides of the lock, starting where the key goes and ending on the other side. Three locks, each one came apart on the first try.

Don't know if this is the best way to go about removing a trigger lock... but it worked for me!

i've taken off like 5 trigger locks by using 2 pairs of waterpump pliers and gabbing one side of the lock with 1 and grab the other side with the other and twist.the lock comes right off without hurting the gun

Thats how I've done it also, quick and easy.

I ran mine through my drill press until there wasn't any part of the lock part left. being careful not to scratch.

Wow. I was searching the web for answers because I lost the keys to my master lock on my Remington 1100 and found this thread. I used a jeweler's screwdriver and followed what the kid did in the video. I popped the lock off in less than 20 seconds[shocked] These things really are worthless. Thank god I have a safe. And thanks to NE Shooters to solve my problem[wave]

I remeoved a trigger lock with a flat pry bar and a mini pry bar, puting tention only on the lock without touching the trigger guard. Poped that sucker apart in no time.

screwdriver behind the rubber part, and pull back the part that locks on the threads. I use this method more than using a key, because I can never find the keys. Takes like 10 seconds to figure out, helps if you have another trigger lock that you use for reference.

Back
Top Bottom