Looters...More reason you need to protect yourself

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28254733/

Powerless homes tempting for NH thieves

By WHDH-TV Staff and Associated Press
WHDH-TV
updated 5:49 p.m. ET, Tues., Dec. 16, 2008

DERRY, N.H. - Police in several New Hampshire towns have seen in an increase in burglaries as thieves take advantage of empty homes without electricity.

Some towns have increased police patrols in blacked-out neighborhoods. In Kingston, Police Chief Donald Briggs called in the National Guard. He say when he heard about thefts and burglaries in other towns, he wanted to make sure his residents were protected.
[laugh2][hmmm][frown]

Police say some of the homes that have been hit in Hollis, Derry, Fremont and elsewhere had security systems, but the power has been off so long, the batteries were dead.

Thieves also have targeted gas-powered generators and have stolen copper wires from downed telephone poles.

Fear mongers but be advised.

This is why we're prepared

I didn't hear any of these reports, but according to some friends who were listening to AM radio during the blackout they were running news reports of an increase in break ins during in houses that were dark and empty.

Over lunch yesterday a co-worker said his brother in law had ordered a generator from HD a couple of weeks back. They called him on Saturday to let him know it had come in. When he showed up at the store to pick it up there was a line of people waiting for more generators to show up. As he picked up his generator by going up to the service desk he started getting a lot of crap from people in line - and then when he was leaving a few guys were following him out to the car.

I have heard a few other anecdotal stories along these lines too.

Sounds like it wasn't exactly all fun and games out there during this whole mess.

Eek! Looters.

Certain circumstances make normal people go into extreme survival model. Before a blizzard, supermarkets are kill zones; before/during/after ice storms, hardware stores are too.

Over lunch yesterday a co-worker said his brother in law had ordered a generator from HD a couple of weeks back. They called him on Saturday to let him know it had come in. When he showed up at the store to pick it up there was a line of people waiting for more generators to show up. As he picked up his generator by going up to the service desk he started getting a lot of crap from people in line - and then when he was leaving a few guys were following him out to the car.
Reply to people in line: f*** all of you.

Question to guys following out into the parking lot: is a generator worth your life?

My brother's been babysitting 4 houses in East Bum Fawk NH with a couple of other guys all of them carrying shotguns and M-4's. The Mass-plated vehicles just roll on by for some reason.

Deterrance is a beautiful thing. Something the antis just don't get. Pass an open carry law and watch crime rates drop through the floor.

My brother's been babysitting 4 houses in East Bum Fawk NH with a couple of other guys all of them carrying shotguns and M-4's. The Mass-plated vehicles just roll on by for some reason.

That is really fantastic. I mean it. Good for him and his group for keeping peoples' property safe. I'd do the same if I were in a free state.

My brother refers to his M-4 as his "tactical flashlight", ever since he mounted his Surefire on it.
I can just imagine an M-4 with a billboard label saying "Tactical flashlight" and a little decal with an arrow pointing to the trigger, "Squeeze here to turn on."

[smile]

So glad I can open carry to home depot and lowes :) I don't think anyone would follow me with my 500 S&W on my belt.

I'd follow you around:

A. In an effort to gauge your paranoia level.

B. Just to see what happens.

A) Off the scale
B) Just don't come too close.

I've driven way out of my way before because I thought people were following me.

I'd follow you around:

A. In an effort to gauge your paranoia level.

B. Just to see what happens.

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

I remember as a kid a photo in Nat. Geographic about the aftermath of a hurricane down south someplace - this must have been the 70s. There was some breakdown of order (surprise) and the photo was of a guy from about mid shoulder down carrying a gallon jug of water with a .357 on his hip.

That photo had a big impact on me - basically it told me that in the event of a Very Bad Thing happening I needed to be prepared to protect myself and my family.

There were attempted generator thefts in Southern NH, I had lights burning 24/7, dogs on alert, and my wife was armed and Mr Glock was ready to play.

There were attempted generator thefts in Southern NH, I had lights burning 24/7, dogs on alert, and my wife was armed and Mr Glock was ready to play.

How does on put one's dog on "alert?"

I mean, I have a big girl, She's 100+ pounds but she's not interested on going outside to "be on alert." Oh sure, she'll guard the inside of the house, because that can be done from bed. But I can just imagine trying to "put her on alert."

"Blue, you take the front, I'll take the back. Bark if something happens." I'd say , with a serious look on my face.

"Excuse me," she'd say, "but did I receive any paramilitary training? How about you F****** bark if something happens and I'll come running if there is any licking to be done? Deal? Ok then, I'm going back to sleep. Wake me when TSHTF."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom