Looters...More reason you need to protect yourself

How does on put one's dog on "alert?"

I mean, I have a big girl, She's 100+ pounds but she's not interested on going outside to "be on alert." Oh sure, she'll guard the inside of the house, because that can be done from bed. But I can just imagine trying to "put her on alert."

"Blue, you take the front, I'll take the back. Bark if something happens." I'd say , with a serious look on my face.

"Excuse me," she'd say, "but did I receive any paramilitary training? How about you F****** bark if something happens and I'll come running if there is any licking to be done? Deal? Ok then, I'm going back to sleep. Wake me when TSHTF."

[laugh2][laugh2]

The only time my dog goes on 'alert' is when I open the fridge.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28254733/

Powerless homes tempting for NH thieves
By WHDH-TV Staff and Associated Press
WHDH-TV
updated 5:49 p.m. ET, Tues., Dec. 16, 2008
DERRY, N.H. - Police in several New Hampshire towns have seen in an increase in burglaries as thieves take advantage of empty homes without electricity.
Some towns have increased police patrols in blacked-out neighborhoods. In Kingston, Police Chief Donald Briggs called in the National Guard. He say when he heard about thefts and burglaries in other towns, he wanted to make sure his residents were protected.
[laugh2][hmmm][frown]
Police say some of the homes that have been hit in Hollis, Derry, Fremont and elsewhere had security systems, but the power has been off so long, the batteries were dead.
Thieves also have targeted gas-powered generators and have stolen copper wires from downed telephone poles.
Fear mongers but be advised.
This is why we're prepared

While I have NO doubt this is occuring (though aren't pole lines made of aluminum- I know ours are?) I just talked to the police in Hollis and they have had no such reports.

I have a feeling that maybe their "source" HEARD something- and then it got reported as fact. Kind of ticks me off. They also said that during severe weather or outages they always increase patrols if only to be available should someone need to flag them down for assistance.

Again, not saying that you shouldn't be prepared or this isn't occuring, I'm just mad that the article cites something that didn't occur.

Well i like to help out in times of need .

Tell anyone who needs copper that i have plenty of it lying around and all they have to do is seperate it from the lead core .

Maybe it is my age... maybe it is my glasses... but when I first looked at the title of this thread I read it as:

"Lobsters... More reason you need to protect yourself"

DOH!

[grin]

Question, seriously. Does NOT reporting or publicizing looting discourage or encorage looting??

I think reporting it (to law enforcement) is important and helps prevent it (ie- enforcing the consequences of illegal activity).

I think publicizing it (like its happening all over and common place) tends to make folks view it as a "survival" behavior vs. a "criminal" behavior.

To that end "people without power who are cold and hungry are stealing generators all over" is a lot different than "So and so was arrested for theft"...

Question, seriously. Does NOT reporting or publicizing looting discourage or encorage looting??

I don't know much about group psychology but you could be on to something where knowing others are doing it makes it easy to rationalize.

I don't know much about group psychology but you could be on to something where knowing others are doing it makes it easy to rationalize.

Basically...reporting that its occuring is responsible and needed so that folks can take appropriate actions for protection...making it seem like its commonplace on the other hand would tend to help folks rationalize it. So it needs to be "informational" reporting...not "emotional".

Maybe it is my age... maybe it is my glasses... but when I first looked at the title of this thread I read it as:

DOH!

[grin]

Now I'll be changing the title back and forth just to screw with you. [laugh2][rofl][wink]

Basically...reporting that its occuring is responsible and needed so that folks can take appropriate actions for protection...making it seem like its commonplace on the other hand would tend to help folks rationalize it. So it needs to be "informational" reporting...not "emotional".

a co-worker here lives in Fitchburg. Her area is not expected to have power back at least until the end of the week. Knowing the garden spot that F-burg is, I find it incredible to believe that an already not so nice area is not seeing a substantial increase in crimes. Lights are off, most residents are elsewhere..
Yet, I see, hear nothing on the news.

Conspiracy theorist that I am. I have to assume that as there has been no mention at all anywhere on the news wires that this is intentionally being not reported about.

Consequently, I don't believe that the press is able to report "responsibly", everything that they report on has to be completely spectacular, preferably with a flashy splash screen a thrilling crawl down the bottom of the screen and a lead in with dramatic music and news readers with the appropriate "Serious news/ solemn bad news look".

Last edited:
Go ahead... have a good laugh at my expense... but I'll bet this guy wished he was CCW:

:))

Rich

Last edited:
a co-worker here lives in Fitchburg. Her area is not expected to have power back at least until the end of the week. Knowing the garden spot that F-burg is, I find it incredible to believe that an already not so nice area is not seeing a substantial increase in crimes. Lights are off, most residents are elsewhere..
Yet, I see, hear nothing on the news.

Conspiracy theorist that I am. I have to assume that as there has been no mention at all anywhere on the news wires that this is intentionally being not reported about.

Consequently, I don't believe that the press is able to report "responsibly", everything that they report on has to be completely spectacular, preferably with a flashy splash screen a thrilling crawl down the bottom of the screen and a lead in with dramatic music and news readers with the appropriate "Serious news/ solemn bad news look".

Wait till the lights come back on. They will go back to their homes and then find out they were robbed days earlier.

DOH!

[grin]

Strange, I thought exactly the same thing, nothing wrong with my glasses.[smile]

Rugstore09-03-05.jpg

http://www.lowellsun.com/todaysheadlines/ci_11251933

Humming generators attract thieves in Hudson, N.H.
By Lisa Redmond, [email protected]
Article Last Updated: 12/17/2008 06:35:36 AM EST

Related
ice storm 2008
Dec 17:
Cheers go up across Greater Lowell as, finally, the lights go onIn Southern New Hampshire, outage-weary try to see the bright sideHUDSON, N.H. -- The motorized hum is unmistakable.

In storm-ravaged communities, where residents who have been without power for days, many people have resorted to spending several hundred dollars to several thousands of dollars to buy emergency generators to keep the heat on and the refrigerators working.

But in Hudson, where more than 3,000 Public Service of New Hampshire customers were still without power yesterday, coldhearted thieves are taking advantage of the hard times of others by stealing these portable generators.

Hudson police report that four generators have been stolen, and there has been at least one attempted theft of another since the ice storm hit Thursday.

Londonderry, N.H., has had similar reports of generator thefts in that storm-ravaged town, where more than 4,000 customers were still without power yesterday.

While generator thefts aren't rampant, police in Southern New Hampshire towns are looking to pull the plug on these thefts.

Windham police Sgt. Wendy Foley said her community has been lucky there have been no thefts, but that may not be the case the longer people are without power.

"People are going back to work and back to school," she said. "But they keep the generator running to keep the heat on and the refrigerator going."

Thieves in trucks cruise along streets without power and listen for the hum of generators, Foley said.

"You can hear them," she said. "It's a distinctive sound."

When the thieves find a generator where there is no one home, they simply unplug it and put it in the back of a truck, she said.
Because generators can weigh more than several hundred pounds, it often takes more than one person to steal one.

"We are trying to be out there with a visible presence," Foley said of the police. "We are looking for people in trucks who are driving around neighborhoods aimlessly. Those are the ones you need to watch out for."

While the ice has melted across much of New Hampshire and power is being restored, the use of generators may be far from over.

After temperatures reached into the 50s Monday, snow was expected to arrive late last night, with 2 to 4 inches of accumulation across most of the state today.

A spokesman for Public Service Company of New Hampshire says the snow shouldn't significantly delay efforts to restore power to homes and businesses that have been dark since last week, but it could cause more outages if it weighs down power lines.

This story includes material from the Associated Press.

Geesh, stupid people. Why loot on people during a time of dissaster.

Let me tell you , if lived in NH and i had heard of people looting, oh boy, that would be the perfect excuse to have USMC flashbacks and get away w it. I can see it now all decked out in my combat gear patroling my own neighborhood armed. It would be fun. besides My neighbors would think I am nuts but feel safe knowing some one is on gaurd.

[iwojima]

If I liven in NH, I'd park the vehicles elsewhere and wait in the house with the lights off and the generator running.....

I was thinking the same thing - what is up with NH? Reports of generators being stolen, I have heard the National Guard was patrolling some towns, I got stories from a few people I know who talked about incidents at Home Depots, etc.

Is this all the MA idiots who moved up there going on a panic? I didn't see anything like this down here. Up the street from me one of the utility companies left a nice 3000W Honda generator sitting at the bottom of a pole sometime Saturday - as of last night it is still sitting there and nobody has touched it.

If reports are to be believed it seems like MA was a more sane place to be in this case than NH was.

Looters? Shit, yes indeed, they've been hitting me extremely hard and from all angles. The sad part is I know who they are and there is nothing I can do about it.

The United States Government
The State of MA.[angry]

Caught four guys stealing downed wires a few days ago, they don't care that copper isn't worth as much anymore or that they are making it take four times longer to restore power.

Haven't seen or heard any reports of generators being stolen but I figure people are looking to grab them. Most people are smart enough to run them enough to get the fridge cold and crank the heat then are putting them away in a locked garage or whatnot while they sleep and firing them up in the morning when they wake. (Saves on the fuel too.)

Everyone knows scum are looking to steal stuff, and to think the police are going to be the end all with all the crap going on is foolish. At least use your head a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom