Looks like most of the sheep didn't comply ?

This is worthy of [party]. I was pissed when I saw the boot lickers complying here and pissing themselves at the though of having to answer for what they have. At the same time evidently 96% still have their balls and are not showing their cards. When I was down at Hoffman once there were a few guys in there talking about running 855 through a tumber to remove the green tip. Their though was **** THEM and what are they going to do put a magnet to each bullet?
Couldn't do that without a warrant.

I don't understand why people are concerned about green tip 855. It's not considered AP and is completely legal. Also not a lot of 855 comes painted anyway.

I haven't bothered to go through all the bs details of the law but supposedly it's banned. Shops had to stop selling it and people had to use it up or move it out of state.

Were the shops and these customers wrong?

Shocked! Shocked I am. Do you see the shock on my face?there must be a fancy word to describe the degree of shocked ness which I feel.

Flabbergastedness!

And somewhere, somewhere somebody is connecting the dots, thinking, 'but, but if they aren't registering them or turning them in, that means...' (sound of pants being crapped in)

I don't understand why people are concerned about green tip 855. It's not considered AP and is completely legal. Also not a lot of 855 comes painted anyway.

I must confess that nobody has ever asked to see my bullets, or even to inspect a magazine. Wrt XM855, it's a good, stable round to use for accuracy and distance. I generally don't put crap ammo through my AR, just like I don't put crap gas in my car.

When we(society, politicians) are having conversations about the relative killi-ness of bullets, I think we've gone around the bend wrt reason.

I must confess that nobody has ever asked to see my bullets, or even to inspect a magazine. Wrt XM855, it's a good, stable round to use for accuracy and distance. I generally don't put crap ammo through my AR, just like I don't put crap gas in my car.

When we(society, politicians) are having conversations about the relative killi-ness of bullets, I think we've gone around the bend wrt reason.

I totally agree, but then that has never stopped them before! I mean how much "more killy" does an AR become when it has an inch of extra adjustment to it's stock, or even a little chunk of steel hanging off of the sightpost to attach a knife to it? The reality is that standard Wallyworld .223 will make someone just as dead as M855.

I know warrants and busted doors fits a lot of folks fantasies here but the reality is (and history shows this) the enforcement will occur during other interactions such as traffic stops and domestics.

One by one folks will be jacked up quietly and conveniently. We probably won't even hear about most of them.

I know warrants and busted doors fits a lot of folks fantasies here but the reality is (and history shows this) the enforcement will occur during other interactions such as traffic stops and domestics.

One by one folks will be jacked up quietly and conveniently. We probably won't even hear about most of them.

And allow everyone else to say...."Well, they're not coming for me yet. We can have go-time.....tomorrow :rolleyes:"

And somewhere, somewhere somebody is connecting the dots, thinking, 'but, but if they aren't registering them or turning them in, that means...' (sound of pants being crapped in)

What it means, unfortunately, is that they will likely kick the can down the road a little longer while they wait for a good opportunity to string someone up on "assault weapon" charges to scare the other residents in line.

D

You are correct. But then, this is the nature of American life today. We all commit crimes every single day, and when we get busted for one - the luck of the draw, typically - they look around and find all this other crapcthey can jack you up for. The goal is to get control over you and to get your money. It really has nothing to do with wrong or right, public safety, or anything else - and it never really did.

What it means, unfortunately, is that they will likely kick the can down the road a little longer while they wait for a good opportunity to string someone up on "assault weapon" charges to scare the other residents in line.

Nick Fury has it right. You are is taking the tiny number of people in your gun groups for the vast majority of gun owners who aren't paying attention and don't care. The guy who has an AR and 10 magazines that have been under the bed Since 1993 probably won't register, isn't the NES-canonical freedom fighter, but is more likely to finish the game fully loaded because he hasn't drawn any attention to himself.

He isn't not registering because 'Molon Labe', he isn't registering because he hasn't touched the gun in 15 years and probably doesn't remember it's there.

I wasn't necessarily referring to the "New Patriot" types. I'm willing to bet there are a lot of folks who don't plan to register the AR they bought back in '93 more because it is a PITA and they don't believe that the laws will be enforced. If the state of CT strings up some poor Joe on charges, and it makes the news (which I'm sure it would, come hell or high water), then there are some folks that would reconsider. Call it the "RIAA Program"; take legal action against a few individuals, especially if they are straight-laced folks that are representative of your target demographic, and you will see a lot of people shaken into compliance.

http://articles.courant.com/2014-02...1_assault-weapons-rifles-gun-registration-law

Everyone knew there would be some gun owners flouting the law that legislators hurriedly passed last April, requiring residents to register all military-style rifles with state police by Dec. 31.

But few thought the figures would be this bad.

By the end of 2013, state police had received 47,916 applications for assault weapons certificates, Lt. Paul Vance said. An additional 2,100 that were incomplete could still come in.

That 50,000 figure could be as little as 15 percent of the rifles classified as assault weapons owned by Connecticut residents, according to estimates by people in the industry, including the Newtown-based National Shooting Sports Foundation. No one has anything close to definitive figures, but the most conservative estimates place the number of unregistered assault weapons well above 50,000, and perhaps as high as 350,000.

And that means as of Jan. 1, Connecticut has very likely created tens of thousands of newly minted criminals — perhaps 100,000 people, almost certainly at least 20,000 — who have broken no other laws. By owning unregistered guns defined as assault weapons, all of them are committing Class D felonies.

"I honestly thought from my own standpoint that the vast majority would register," said Sen. Tony Guglielmo, R-Stafford, the ranking GOP senator on the legislature's public safety committee. "If you pass laws that people have no respect for and they don't follow them, then you have a real problem."

The problem could explode if Connecticut officials decide to compare the list of people who underwent background checks to buy military-style rifles in the past, to the list of those who registered in 2013. Do they still own those guns? The state might want to know.

"A lot of it is just a question to ask, and I think the firearms unit would be looking at it," said Mike Lawlor, the state's top official in criminal justice. "They could send them a letter."

An aggressive hunt isn't going to happen, Lawlor said, but even the idea of letters is a scary thought considering thousands of people are now in an uncomfortable position. At the least, the legislature should reopen the registration period this year with an outreach campaign designed to boost the numbers.

It could be a tough sell. On Thursday night, Guglielmo heard from a constituent at a meeting in Ashford, who said most of his friends with military-style rifles such as AR-15s had not come forward.

"He made the analogy to prohibition," Guglielmo said. "I said, 'You're talking about civil disobedience, and he said 'Yes.' "

But it's not just refusers. A reopened registration would help many who failed to come forward out of ignorance.

"There are a lot of people, they just do not know about this law," said Scott Wilson, president of the 12,000-member Connecticut Citizens Defense League, a Second Amendment advocacy group. "There are people finding out now after the fact."

The law was widely covered in the media and Wilson said his group sent information to its members. But gun owners can be an independent bunch.

Guglielmo, who voted against the sweeping gun control bill, said he intends to raise the concern at the next meeting of the public safety committee. Lawlor said Gov. Dannel P. Malloy's administration is willing to talk about solutions.

But Lawlor, an undersecretary in the state Office of Policy and Management, said that even if many thousands of guns remain unregistered and are now illegal, the law is not necessarily failing at its goal.

"Like anything else, people who violate the law face consequences. … that's their decision. The consequences are pretty clear. …There's nothing unique about this," Lawlor said. "The goal is to have fewer of these types of weapons in circulation."

The law was adopted after the December 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Its main provision was a dramatic expansion of guns classified as assault weapons banned for sale in the state. The ban now includes any semiautomatic firearm — that is, one that reloads a round after each pull of the trigger — if it has even a single military-style characteristic, such as a pistol grip.

Any semiautomatic firearm banned for sale could remain legal if its owner registered it by Dec. 31. Those that were made before the state's first assault rifle law in 1993, and were not deemed to be assault weapons in that law, do not have to be registered.

The AR-15, a type of rifle, not a brand, is among those that must be registered and represents 50 percent to 60 percent of all rifle sales in the United States in recent years, federal figures show.

Sorting out the number of potential new felons is a guessing game. State police have not added up the total number of people who registered the 50,000 firearms, Vance said. So even if we knew the number of illegal guns in the state, we'd have a hard time knowing how many owners they had.

Back
Top Bottom