Looking for a NON SMOKING gun club to join - suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to my first and last club meeting this year. I forgot there are still places that allow smoking indoors. It was also a club dinner which makes it worse. I need to switch clubs for another reason and no smoking is on the list of preferences.

BTW, the OP never mentioned anything about being "worried" about second hand smoke. She may just detest the crap like many people, male & female, do today.

If I couldn't move to avoid smoke on the range or trap field, I'd leave. Fortunately, that hasn't been a problem where I shoot.

You ought to consider Woburn Sportsmen's Association in Bedford. I'm pretty sure there is a no smoking policy for inside the buildings. No smoking on the outdoor black powder range but OK elsewhere. I shoot trap and I know a few people somke cigars, but outdoors it's not a problem.

You ought to consider Woburn Sportsmen's Association in Bedford. I'm pretty sure there is a no smoking policy for inside the buildings. No smoking on the outdoor black powder range but OK elsewhere. I shoot trap and I know a few people somke cigars, but outdoors it's not a problem.

This! WSA limited smoking in the buildings recently. I don't have a copy of the rule at the moment, but it cut back smoking indoors. I'm can almost guarentee there are no clubs that are smoke-free inside and out. In addition, WSA has a super long outdoor pistol range line (fully opened now) so even if there was a smoker on the line; you'd be a ways away.

I live in the Merrimack Valley and would like to join a gun club - please give me suggestions? I would like to hear the good and the bad so I can make a wise decision. Thanks! :)

As you already got the majority answer - there really is no local club I know of, as I am in your area, that outright does not allow smoking on the property or only in designated areas. No range I have visited allows smoking on an indoor range. Your best bet is to find a club with a well ventalited and taken care of indoor range, and multiple outdoor ranges so you can always find a spot for yourself away from the smoke if there are others. Being that its a club...members are going to smoke and I for one feel they are fine to do so. I am trying to quit yet again but sure enjoy it as well as cigars.

Unfortunately, if you find one that has banned smoking, they've also probably banned full auto, tracers, steel core ammo, 'rapid' fire, magazines that hold more than two rounds, 'non-approved' targets, and shooting without an RSO present.

Personally, I'd like to find a club (or gun show) that bans B.O.

Last edited:
I was actually thinking the same thing! I personally can't stand being around smoking, but was thinking "WTF?" when I read this thread because the shit you breathe at most indoor ranges is probably quite a bit worse than a little second hand cigarette or cigar smoke!

I'm sorry but there is a tremendous amount of insensitivity here in addition to trying to chase newbies and women away from the forum. Nice job!! [rolleyes] [Addressed in general, not only to quoted post.]

As someone who grew up inhaling much of 3 packs of unfiltered Paul Mall cigs daily second-hand (my late Father was a chain smoker) for 23 years, at ~10 yrs old I was diagnosed at Children's Hospital as allergic to cigarette and cigar smoke (amongst dust, ragweed, etc.). I have NEVER advocated for smoke-free areas/places, but have welcomed them due to my allergies. I have avoided some of the nastiest smoke-filled places as I get congested and start sneezing, so not for me. On the other hand I have a lot of friends who smoke and will talk with them while they smoke, I just try to position myself so the smoke isn't blowing into my face. [I mitigate my problem and don't ask smokers to change their habits for me.]

Don't know the lady who started this thread, but her problem might well be allergies as well so attacking someone is way out of line IMNSHO! She might also be an asthma emphysema sufferer and literally can't be around smoke.

Fair question: One club I belong to has smoke-eaters in the club room and has banned smoking during meetings as a result of complaints from some members (not me) who are older folks who had developed asthma and medically can't tolerate the smoke any more. The ranges have a rule (for shooter health reasons - inhaling cig or eating/drinking where lead/primer dust is in the air adds to the health risks) of no smoking on the shooting line but folks regularly smoke in the parking lot (by outdoor ranges) or clubhouses. It's not usually bad there when the smoke-eaters are turned on (anyone can turn them on, the timer control is by the door in the new clubhouse).

My other club has no indoor facilities [thinking] so it is a non-issue in a confined space. Outdoors is like above (my primary club).

Good to see good old NES is alive and kicking when it comes to making new members feel welcome.

Indeed! [thinking]

I'm looking for a gun club with valet parking.

Try BGRA, I'm pretty sure that some of the doods that hang out in front of that place would be glad to take your keys and take care of your car. Getting it back might be a different issue however. [wink]

Last edited:
I haven't been in an indoor range you can smoke on. Some lobbies sure, but never ranges...

The OP is probably talking about Riverside. You typically have to walk through a cloud of smoke there to get to the indoor range.

The irony is there are very few clubs that operate like that... [laugh]

-Mike

Come to think of it, I've been a member at the Andover Sportsmen's Club for a while but never seen anyone light up inside. I can't find it posted anywhere though. Of course, no smoking on the indoor range is posted.

i'd love to enjoy an adult beverage AFTER range time but banned at my club. i understand the logic and i'll live with that, but if they ban smoking outdoors i'm gone. i also think i'm detecting a liberal troll in the op

She wants to choose a club that she doesn't have to walk through a cloud of cigarette smoke to use the range, so she's automatically labeled? [thinking]

Using one of these lately?

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, the OP is clearly a new shooter and by the name I'm guessing also female. Try not to attack right out of the gate,eh

Good to see good old NES is alive and kicking when it comes to making new members feel welcome.

Sorry not in the area so I have no leads that would help you.

I'm sorry but there is a tremendous amount of insensitivity here in addition to trying to chase newbies and women away from the forum. Nice job!! [rolleyes]

Yeah... pretty sure the NES welcoming committee has already scared her away.

I won't speak for anyone else. But my experience in a few months with nes is if you can't take a joke, you're in the wrong place. Wonder if all these knights in shining armor would have shown up if their screen name was Dudeinheels..

The OP is probably talking about Riverside. You typically have to walk through a cloud of smoke there to get to the indoor range.

The irony is there are very few clubs that operate like that... [laugh]

-Mike

Riverside has banned smoking in the clubhouse. FINALLY! (wouldn't have a problem with people smoking if i didn't have to walk through it to get at the indoor range. )

Whats interesting is a few member outright left because they banned it. They actually protested that the only reason they were member was because of the bar that allowed smoking.

I won't speak for anyone else. But my experience in a few months with nes is if you can't take a joke, you're in the wrong place. Wonder if all these knights in shining armor would have shown up if their screen name was Dudeinheels..
[rofl]

Years ago I asked Danvers Fish and Game to have the kids Christmas party smoke free. Wow, what a crap fest. I know the kids party is now smoke free but its been a while since I have been to any meetings.

Not much more to add, sorry.

*sigh* Come on guys.

My very first club allowed smoking inside the buildings (not on the indoor ranges). I am not a smoker and HATE the smell. This meant I spent minimal time in the clubhouses, usually had to shower when I got home, and discouraged me from joining teams or coming to meetings. I didn't try to change that, and the OP isn't suggesting trying to change it either, - she (presumably) just wants to try to find a club that is more in line with her preferences.

Oh noes! A person seeking to freely associate with other people who have similar concerns & priorities, without government involvement. Burn her - she's a witch! [laugh][rolleyes]

Clubs that have no or less smoking are out there in the world. I know of a male member-only club that has a liquor license and banned smoking indoors about 2 years ago. The MEN at that very traditional club got sick of the smoke and voted to change their policy.

To the OP - keep looking. Unfortunately I don't know your area well at all and can't recommend anything. Also, if you post an avatar that goes with your screen name, you'll probably end up with a fan club. They're visual around here. [wink]

It's been about 4-5 years since I was last there, but IIRC, Mass Rifle Association didn't even allow smoking on the 100-200 yard range (which, I ignored).

Riverside has banned smoking in the clubhouse. FINALLY! (wouldn't have a problem with people smoking if i didn't have to walk through it to get at the indoor range. )

Whats interesting is a few member outright left because they banned it. They actually protested that the only reason they were member was because of the bar that allowed smoking.

I was a member at Mystic Valley for a little while. I actually thought it was just a smoking club with a shooting range. For real. There were several times that I went to shoot and there would be a group of people sitting in the lounge area smoking and talking when I got there and then after spending an hour or two shooting id come out to find the same group talking and smoking in the lounge. Maybe their old lady's didn't let them smoke at home or something.

Yes, the op is definately female! I've known her a long time, she's not talking about smoking at the indoor range or outdoor ranges. Like DGRANT stated, she's looking for a club that she won't have to walk thru a wall of smoke as soon as she opens the front door until she gets to the indoor range door. With all of the misogynistic comments (look it up) as replies, you guys must never get laid....

This! WSA limited smoking in the buildings recently. I don't have a copy of the rule at the moment, but it cut back smoking indoors. I'm can almost guarentee there are no clubs that are smoke-free inside and out. In addition, WSA has a super long outdoor pistol range line (fully opened now) so even if there was a smoker on the line; you'd be a ways away.

This. I believe Lowell too, Littleton, & Andover as well.

Best Massachusetts Shooting Ranges. Compare, reviews & ratings.

NOT Billerica...[rofl]

I thought my reply was 100% honest. I was shooting for Greater Lowell Trap League and Nashoba Valley Pistol League. As a former smoker I don't care much for cig or cheap ass cigar smoke but I also don't run from it.

I've never smelled it indoors at Harvard but I also don't go much.
Very little at Concord R&G, never noticed at the other Concord club. (Can't spell it!! LOL) Billerica.
Never at Lowell, Westford, Stoneybrook, Tewksbury, Tyngsboro, Woburn.
I'm sure there are others and some of these places don't have indoor ranges or they are in separate buildings.

All bets are off for smoking outdoors at any club as it should be. I don't support banning indoor smoking either.

What excitement greets me after a long day at work? Coming home to a thread filled with ignorant, insensitive, and degrading replies to a very simple question! Yea, you guys have given me a plethora of information to work with. (that's sarcasm for those looking to continue the banter) I didn't say anything offensive to any cigarette smoker, I was just looking for a club that didn't allow smoking inside the club at all; not just on the shooting range - DUH! I'm a medical professional (and clearly better educated than you) and for personal as well as professional reasons I don't wish to walk out of a club, after enjoying some hard earned free time, and having my clothes, hair, skin, etc stink like cigarettes. Perhaps you wouldn't like my perfume - that would be your opinion and I have mine. I am hardly a "liberal troll" as someone stated in this thread; but I'm guessing you smell like one! Thanks to those who offered some suggestions. And to Sig Sauer Shooter - thanks, babe - I can take care of myself but it sure is nice to see there are still some gentlemen out there who can respect a lady who shoots as well as has her own opinion!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom