linked 7.62x54R?

Is it safe to shoot in a mosin nagant? Lookin to get one soon and saw that a local shop had a spam can of 'albanian' linked ammo for sale.

thanks

I'd say it is but its always best to check any rifle for signs of wear and tear inside and out. Mosins are built strong and can shoot any 7.62x54 as far as I know.

The linked MG ammo is likely to be "heavy ball" ammo, with yellow tips.
The recoil is reported to be fierce.[shocked]
It typically sells for about twice what regular ball ammo goes for.
check out :
http://7.62x54r.net/
for info an the various type of ammo so that you get what you expect.
IIRC, heavy ball is not intended to be used in the Dragonov or other semi-auto rifles.

I would think since its linked ammo so its machine gun ammo. I never bought any of the 7,5mm french ammo either because it maybe too hot for the semi-auto's. That ammo in your mosin bolt action maybe ok. I'd try a few first.

jhrosier said:
The linked MG ammo is likely to be "heavy ball" ammo, with yellow tips.
The recoil is reported to be fierce.[shocked]
It typically sells for about twice what regular ball ammo goes for.
check out :
http://7.62x54r.net/
for info an the various type of ammo so that you get what you expect.
IIRC, heavy ball is not intended to be used in the Dragonov or other semi-auto rifles.

yeah, the price had me wonderin, 250 rds for ~$70 I think. Ill prolly give it a try.

Does anyone know if its a real pita to de-link the ammo?

I would ask the guys on www.gunboards.com first i know something was memtioned about the albie 7,62x54r ammo but i can't remember what was said. Make sure before you buy it to be safe.

The czech silver tip is very affordable right now and probably the best quality 7,62x54r were going to see in a military surplus ammo. After the second ammo shortage of the 7,62x39 ammo the 7,62x54r czech ammo was only $59 for an 880rd cas and i think it was only $82 delivered. I think that place still has it affordable too.

Several years back I shot some ammo in my M44 that was reported to be machine gun ammo. Recoil and report was fierce. In addition, after firing a shot it was hard to open the bolt. I'm guessing that particular batch was way overpressure. Won't do that again...

I shoot the Hungarian yellow tip in my Mosins all the time along with some ammo thats yellow/silver tipped with no problems.
If its surplus 7.62x54 ammo you're looking for though, the Polish light ball stuff thats out now is really cheap and was all over the place a while back. At $60 for 880 rounds it was the best deal going but I haven't seen it in any new flyers. I think Four Seasons still has some though.

BigBill said:
I would ask the guys on www.gunboards.com first i know something was memtioned about the albie 7,62x54r ammo but i can't remember what was said. Make sure before you buy it to be safe.

The czech silver tip is very affordable right now and probably the best quality 7,62x54r were going to see in a military surplus ammo. After the second ammo shortage of the 7,62x39 ammo the 7,62x54r czech ammo was only $59 for an 880rd cas and i think it was only $82 delivered. I think that place still has it affordable too.

Went back today, it was actually Bulgarian.

Ended up getting 200 rds of Czech. silver tip at 3.99 a box instead.

OAR348 said:
Went back today, it was actually Bulgarian.

Ended up getting 200 rds of Czech. silver tip at 3.99 a box instead.

Thats good ammo, just remember to clean your bore and bolt face with a water based cleaner to get rid of the corrosive salts, the dry and clean with a quailty oil like Break Free or Rem Oil.

Back
Top Bottom