7.62x54R Ammo Questions

I tried doing some searches on 7.62x54r.net but there is just too much info to sort through regarding ammo. I'm not looking to become an expert, just looking for a "Go" or "No Go" from some of the experts. [smile]

I have an M44 in the mail and I want to order some ammo to shoot at the evil orange steel targets at the 100 yard marker at my range. [smile]

What do you guys think about this stuff?

7.62x54R RUSSIAN 147 GRAIN
STEEL CASE - COPPER WASHED
LIGHT BALL FMJ = FULL METAL JACKET
WITH LPS STEEL CORE - BERDAN PRIMED

MANUFACTURED IN THE TULA AMMUNITION PLANT
1980 to 1984 PRODUCTION
COMES IN SEALED 440 ROUND TINS (2 PER CASE)

$195 for 880 rounds shipped to a Non-Fascist State seems like a pretty good deal. I know its corrosive, just want to make sure its ok for the M44 with steel cases.

Thanks!

Last edited:
That's about as good a deal as you're going to find. That's the same stuff the ammo guy had at the recent Marlborough show. (Ask me how I know) [smile] Lots of 7.62x54R is steel case, should be fine.

your m44 should eat about anything you throw at it. $190 shipped isn't too bad at all. $80 a tin before shipping is about as good as you'll get.

It'd be interesting to see how that russian stuff compares to the bulgarian surplus stuff I have a few tins of. Nagants aren't exactly a good tool to measure an ammo's quality as far as accuracy goes, but it'll be a safe way to see how consistent the loads are on them. I've never shot russian surplus, but I don't see why it wouldn't be decent stuff.

www.7.62x54R.net has a surplus ammunition analysis that's about as good as it gets.

On any surplus ammo, you will need to clean your rifle right after you shoot it. All surplus ammo has corrosive primers. You'd have to find a modern load in order to avoid this. It's not as big of a hassle as some people will lead you on to believe.

I tried doing some searches on 7.62x54r.net but there is just too much info to sort through regarding ammo. I'm not looking to become an expert, just looking for a "Go" or "No Go" from some of the experts. [smile]

I have an M44 in the mail and I want to order some ammo to shoot at the evil orange steel targets at the 100 yard marker at my range. [smile]

What do you guys think about this stuff?

7.62x54R RUSSIAN 147 GRAIN
STEEL CASE - COPPER WASHED
LIGHT BALL FMJ = FULL METAL JACKET
WITH LPS STEEL CORE - BERDAN PRIMED

MANUFACTURED IN THE TULA AMMUNITION PLANT
1980 to 1984 PRODUCTION
COMES IN SEALED 440 ROUND TINS (2 PER CASE)

$195 for 880 rounds shipped to a Non-Fascist State seems like a pretty good deal. I know its corrosive, just want to make sure its ok for the M44 with steel cases.

Thanks!
Sportsmans Guide has some great ammo that is real clean and super accurate.
I use it all the time in my Finn M39, Tula 91/30 and my Chinese type 53.

Check it out:http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/150-rds-762x54r-m30j-182-gr-ammo.aspx?a=195727

It's Yugoslavian and being that it is brass cased,you can take your emptys to a scrap yard.They are paying $1.10 per pound!

Sportsmans Guide ...rabble rabble rabble rabble

Sportmans guide won't ship ANYTHING to Massachusetts. And by that, I mean hats, screws, matter, anti-matter, etc. anything that fits into a box and can be shipped.

I know you probably didn't know that because you live in a free state, and being that the OP is in the people's republic, he's hosed as far as that goes.

And I highly suggest you find another vendor for your goods. Just for the fact that they discriminate against customers who haven't done anything to deserve the harsh treatment. I've got my MI, OH, and NE boys on board.... it's a pretty diabolically conservative free market ship if you care to board...

The stuff you were shooting in my M44 was Bulgarian copper washed steel that I got at last year's Marlboro show. When you get your M44, I have the headspace gauges to double check it.

The stuff you were shooting in my M44 was Bulgarian copper washed steel that I got at last year's Marlboro show. When you get your M44, I have the headspace gauges to double check it.

Awesome, I meant to ask you about that! :)

I'm going to ship the ammo to NH but yeah, living in this fascist state sucks for guns.

Sportmans guide won't ship ANYTHING to Massachusetts. And by that, I mean hats, screws, matter, anti-matter, etc. anything that fits into a box and can be shipped.

I know you probably didn't know that because you live in a free state, and being that the OP is in the people's republic, he's hosed as far as that goes.

And I highly suggest you find another vendor for your goods. Just for the fact that they discriminate against customers who haven't done anything to deserve the harsh treatment. I've got my MI, OH, and NE boys on board.... it's a pretty diabolically conservative free market ship if you care to board...
I do realize that Sportsmans Guide won't ship to MA,I did not see the the OP was from MA.I'm new to this site,and it will take me awhile to navigate around.
As far as SG discriminating against customers,they don't.I believe that this might clear up some confusion:

http://www.goal.org/ammoinfo.html

Last edited:
Yes, they do. You have no idea what you are talking about. SG won't even sell some parts and accessories that aren't even mentioned in MA's laws.

That's perfectly reasonable. My favorite supplier has Russian 149 grain light ball for $79/can. I think it's brass-cased, but not sure. Fedex to the northeast adds $25 or so for a case; if you want brass instead, it's out there.

(Even though they do not ship to Mass., I had several people screaming at me for posting their name last time I mentioned them. Go figure. Feel free to PM if Google doesn't find it for you.)

Yes, they do. You have no idea what you are talking about. SG won't even sell some parts and accessories that aren't even mentioned in MA's laws.
Well I feel bad for you folks south of my border,however I have been a SG customer for years and have nothing but praise for them.
Maybe you should contact them and discuss their policies.Also,right your congressmen and women and complain about your guns and weapons laws.
I'm all for you guys having the same rights as we do up here in N.H. and would gladly do what I could for the cause.

I'm new to this site,and it will take me awhile to navigate around.

No worries, dude [grin] you'll get more aware of how businesses run in regards to the MA AG's bullying, which doesn't have any legal ground to stand on. SG just happens to pussy out and basically bans all shipments to MA. I tried to order a Czech Ushanka from them a few weeks ago and got denied.

A ushanka is a hat. It's not ammo, or a firearm part, or anything else. A hat.

As far as SG discriminating against customers,they don't.

A bold and ignorant statement. I understand customers being loyal to their favorite vendors... just keep that in check before saying such things, especially if you don't know what you are talking about.

No worries, dude [grin] you'll get more aware of how businesses run in regards to the MA AG's bullying, which doesn't have any legal ground to stand on. SG just happens to pussy out and basically bans all shipments to MA. I tried to order a Czech Ushanka from them a few weeks ago and got denied.

A bold and ignorant statement. I understand customers being loyal to their favorite vendors... just keep that in check before saying such things, especially if you don't know what you are talking about.
As I said before,maybe people should call SG and talk to someone about it.I myself will call them in the morning and ask them about there policy.[grin]

Last edited:
more power to you man [smile] I sent an email and asked why my order was shut down and got a "We don't necessarily ship a number of our products to Massachusetts" response and I took my business elsewhere.

Anyways, welcome to the forum. I like your "can do" attitude!

I just checked,and there is no restriction on this:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/new-russian-ushanka-with-badge.aspx?a=585811

However there is on this:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/new-german-military-issue-g3-empty-lower-housing.aspx?a=606380

Awesome, I meant to ask you about that! :)

I'm going to ship the ammo to NH but yeah, living in this fascist state sucks for guns.

This was some lacquered steel cased surplus ammo I had, forgot which manufacturer it was.

Last edited by a moderator:
more power to you man [smile] I sent an email and asked why my order was shut down and got a "We don't necessarily ship a number of our products to Massachusetts" response and I took my business elsewhere.

Anyways, welcome to the forum. I like your "can do" attitude!

Thanks for the welcome.
I've always been the kind of guy that does not give up easily,and hate it when somebody tells me it can't be done.I always show them that it can and I do it very well.[grin]

flintoid is right! Besides, they will rip you off at the drop of a hat. Lets not mention the fact that the ammo they sell is corrosive. Here is a better deal for free staters. Notice the $7.95 shipping. 300, 600, 900, 1200 rounds it does not matter, $7.95 flat rate.
http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?cPath=45&products_id=1155
Any Mass guys that need ammo, give my a shout.

I recently picked up a mosin and was able to get new manufacture (non-corrosive) steel cased stuff from collector's in stoneham for 10.99 per 20 round box...

that is good to know! I'm guessing wolf? What is the bullet grain?

That stuff isn't easy to come by. I've been looking for it as I've heard it's more accurate than surplus ammo.

flintoid is right! Besides, they will rip you off at the drop of a hat. Lets not mention the fact that the ammo they sell is corrosive. Here is a better deal for free staters. Notice the $7.95 shipping. 300, 600, 900, 1200 rounds it does not matter, $7.95 flat rate.
http://www.copesdistributing.net/product_info.php?cPath=45&products_id=1155
Any Mass guys that need ammo, give my a shout.

Could you fill me in on how they rip you off?
Also,some of Copes ammo is corrosive.

that is good to know! I'm guessing wolf? What is the bullet grain?

That stuff isn't easy to come by. I've been looking for it as I've heard it's more accurate than surplus ammo.
I am away on work travel so I'll have to look when I get back to clarify.

No not the wolf stuff, It was the 'bear' ammo (brown, silver, gold)... this stuff was the brown bear variety in soft point, can't recall the grain but I think it's the 203 grain stuff.

i.e. this http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/...-grain-Ammo-20-rds.aspx?a=472417&kwtid=302242

Back
Top Bottom