Lifting Restrictions?

Brookline owns you until the current license expires. Serve your 6 year sentence like a man and try not to be a resident of Brookline when renewal time comes around.
Not necessarily true, If he moves, sometimes the "new green town" licensing officer (or a gun lawyer) can convince them to expire the LTC. There are also some dirty hacks you can resort to, in order to get your LTC expired, as well, if you really need to.

-Mike

Moving out of the state and establishing residency will expire a current LTC, correct? and then just move back into a green town. How long does it take to "establish residency" in another state? I dunno.

Not necessarily true, If he moves, sometimes the "new green town" licensing officer (or a gun lawyer) can convince them to expire the LTC. There are also some dirty hacks you can resort to, in order to get your LTC expired, as well, if you really need to.

-Mike

I'll defer to your knowledge on the topic. I do not know of any way to FORCE the original LTC issuer to expire it, thus my statement that you quote.

Moving out of the state and establishing residency will expire a current LTC, correct? and then just move back into a green town. How long does it take to "establish residency" in another state? I dunno.

It's a moot point, seeing how the OP clearly stated that moving out of Brookline is out of the question (see post #25).

While I understand what you're saying, that's not quite a valid comparison... Who knows, maybe I'll get the "yes". It's not likely, but the vitriol and hostility in this thread is unexpected.

There are basically two types of towns that issue Restricted LTCs:

1. They do it as a "test" and if you stay out of trouble for x (x can equal 6 months to 6 years) amount of time, they will lift the restrictions (no cost) or do so upon renewal.

2. Hell NO! "Nobody in town x carries!" (unless very well connected or "important" via some secret evaluation process), we don't issue Unrestricted LTCs!

Unfortunately Brookline is in "Category 2" and has been for a very, very long time.

I was born in Chestnut Hill (Brookline) and the 1st 7 years of my life we were surrounded by cops and firefighters as neighbors. My baby sitter was a cop who retired as Captain in Brookline PD. My Father bought a house there after returning from WWII and he joined the Brookline Auxiliary Police. Unlike these days (in most towns), back then the Brookline Aux. POs rode patrol with FT Brookline POs and responded to all calls . . . unarmed. After responding to a burglar alarm call at Brookline High School where the FT (armed) officer sent my Father (unarmed) down one wing while he checked the other wing, my Father petitioned the chief to arm the Auxiliaries. No way in hell was the response and my Father wrote his letter of resignation . . . I found it in his effects after his death.

In more recent times, a Military Veteran was denied a LTC in Brookline because he once sat in the children's section of the library. Unsure if the same guy or different one was denied (IIRC) due to not returning an overdue library book. I seem to remember that one of our banned attorneys filed a lawsuit against the chief and the court upheld the chief's decision.

I give you credit for trying, but I'm 110% certain you are going to be disappointed.

Good luck.

There are basically two types of towns that issue Restricted LTCs:

1. They do it as a "test" and if you stay out of trouble for x (x can equal 6 months to 6 years) amount of time, they will lift the restrictions (no cost) or do so upon renewal.

2. Hell NO! "Nobody in town x carries!" (unless very well connected or "important" via some secret evaluation process), we don't issue Unrestricted LTCs!

Len, I'd also suggest there's a third category... the "Box" towns. If you fit in their box you get unrestricted. Sometimes requires documentation, sometimes doesn't. Most of these towns will also tell you up front what you need to qualify... eg, Boston and others have a sheet telling you what kind of stuff fits in the "Box" . Yes, sometimes the constraints of the box are "secret" too. For example, a long time ago, at Four Seasons I encountered a dude in a wheelchair that told me he had no difficulty getting an unrestricted LTC in Lowell. [shocked] I couldn't believe it at first, but then it dawned on me- the police chief/LO probably let it slide because of the obvious political overtones of restricting a person with a handicap.

In some of these towns it might be trivially easy to fit inside certain boxes, either by doing or saying certain things, or having certain certifications... but that's the type of thing that never gets discussed openly in public for obvious reasons- if someone goes and brags about it on the internet, the "firing solution" for that might get cut off down the road.

In more recent times, a Military Veteran was denied a LTC in Brookline because he once sat in the children's section of the library. Unsure if the same guy or different one was denied (IIRC) due to not returning an overdue library book.

IIRC the guy in Brookline was an Army officer, IIRC. It was more than just the "library incident". I think part of the problem was his live in son was a piece of work (he either had a rap sheet associated with him, or the cops had been called to the residence for him doing something dumb once, and because he was related to the applicant, Brookline gave him shit about that, too. ) They were clearly scraping the bottom of the barrel hoping to find gold. [thinking]

-Mike

ProTip: The actual triggering event is not so much the actual moving (or taking of residency elsewhere) as it is the notification letter stating such to EOPS/CJIS..... if you think about it long enough, that's the only way they know someone has actually obtained residency somewhere else.

-Mike

-Mike

Tautologically true. The OP said that Brookline owns the license until it expires. If someone convinces Brookline to expire a license, that department no longer owns it.

IIRC the guy in Brookline was an Army officer, IIRC. It was more than just the "library incident".
According to the news reports at the time, he was asked to leave the children's section by the librarian and peacefully refused. That resulted in a call to the PD and creation of a record in the Brookline database.

Last edited:
Len, I'd also suggest there's a third category... the "Box" towns. If you fit in their box you get unrestricted. Sometimes requires documentation, sometimes doesn't. Most of these towns will also tell you up front what you need to qualify... eg, Boston and others have a sheet telling you what kind of stuff fits in the "Box" . Yes, sometimes the constraints of the box are "secret" too.

In some of these towns it might be trivially easy to fit inside certain boxes, either by doing or saying certain things, or having certain certifications... but that's the type of thing that never gets discussed openly in public for obvious reasons- if someone goes and brags about it on the internet, the "firing solution" for that might get cut off down the road.

-Mike

Mike,

I could have been clearer . . . my #2 includes those people who fit in those special boxes. TTBOMK most of those towns don't document what is needed, but wait for the applicant to figure it out and supply what is needed. Boston is much more open about it than most cities/towns.

IIRC the guy in Brookline was an Army officer, IIRC. It was more than just the "library incident". I think part of the problem was his live in son was a piece of work (he either had a rap sheet associated with him, or the cops had been called to the residence for him doing something dumb once, and because he was related to the applicant, Brookline gave him shit about that, too. ) They were clearly scraping the bottom of the barrel hoping to find gold. [thinking]

-Mike

Mike:

if I recall correctly the "library guy" was a young army Lt. In medical school who had no criminal record. That was about 10 years ago so details are hazy.

The guy with the drug dealing son was another Brookline bull shit situation.

You should just send a certified letter to the chief of police and request the restrictions lifted. If everyone here is in agreement that you will get denied, might as well ask and get denied so there is no question. And hey... if the licensing officer happens to be in a good mood and lifts it... MERRY CHRISTMAS! I lived in Newton and I asked for a restriction removal and they did it. New license in 3 weeks.

You should just send a certified letter to the chief of police and request the restrictions lifted. If everyone here is in agreement that you will get denied, might as well ask and get denied so there is no question. And hey... if the licensing officer happens to be in a good mood and lifts it... MERRY CHRISTMAS! I lived in Newton and I asked for a restriction removal and they did it. New license in 3 weeks.

In Brookline, the LO is the Chief. He has final say on licensing. I sent in my letter and received a denial by mail. I followed up with an email to the sergeant that I spoke with, we'll see if I get any response.

In Brookline, the LO is the Chief. He has final say on licensing. I sent in my letter and received a denial by mail. I followed up with an email to the sergeant that I spoke with, we'll see if I get any response.

I'm sorry to hear that (as predicted) the Brookline CoP rejected your request and kept you on an LTC that does not allow you to protect yourself.

We'll see what happens. I wonder if speaking with a lawyer would even make sense? If rumors I've read are accurate, people have sued the city and lost already regarding LTCs.

We'll see what happens. I wonder if speaking with a lawyer would even make sense? If rumors I've read are accurate, people have sued the city and lost already regarding LTCs.

In my limited experience, suing the town over restrictions would be a guaranteed loss (the MA courts have consistently ruled that a restricted LTC is NOT a denial of your rights) and only worth it if you hope to force the town to incur legal expenses to defend themselves and thus discourage them from restricting people - hardly a likely scenario.

My original advice stands - you need to figure out whether living in Brookline is more important than getting an unrestricted LTC - very few (and "special") people can do both, and you do not seem to be one of them... sorry.

In my limited experience, suing the town over restrictions would be a guaranteed loss (the MA courts have consistently ruled that a restricted LTC is NOT a denial of your rights) and only worth it if you hope to force the town to incur legal expenses to defend themselves and thus discourage them from restricting people - hardly a likely scenario.

What you describe is often true of many firearms cases not just battles over restrictions. With the help and resources of GOAL, Comm2A, and hard nosed experience in the trenches, wars of attrition have broken the ranks of several municipalities over the years.

Following up, I wrote a letter to my chief (Reading), explaining my history { Veteran, Weapons carrier for Mobility Team, Decorated Marksmen} as well as my reasoning (shouldn't be necessary as it's a constitutional right) and low and behold, my new, unrestricted license appeared in my mailbox today.
I did write the letter two months go, and I never should've been restricted to begin with, but I'm honestly just happy he made the decision to expire my old license early and give me what I had applied for.

Boston Strong

Following up, I wrote a letter to my chief (Reading), explaining my history { Veteran, Weapons carrier for Mobility Team, Decorated Marksmen} as well as my reasoning (shouldn't be necessary as it's a constitutional right) and low and behold, my new, unrestricted license appeared in my mailbox today. I did write the letter two months go, and I never should've been restricted to begin with, but I'm honestly just happy he made the decision to expire my old license early and give me what I had applied for. Boston Strong

I am going to be writing a letter to my chief as well.. I do not have your credentials but hoping to get my sporting restriction lifted. If I were you I would write a follow up letter letting him know you received your new license and thank him for understanding and for his time. Will most likely go easier for renewals.

Rich

Sent from my phone please excuse any errors within my post

Newton just got a new police chief who seems to be pretty pro unrestricted LTC. I grew up in Newton and I know a few people who have gotten their restricted LTCs given to them by the previous corrupt chief lifted by the new chief.

Really sucked for me though. I lived in Newton until I was 26 and I had a chance to move back to Newton this past Summer but passed on it because I was under the impression that Newton was still a black town and I was already 5 years into my LTC through Waltham: only a year away from my restrictions possibly being lifted.

Even with Waltham's restricted LTC for 6 years policy comes down from City Hall (the CLEO is an appointed by the Mayor of Waltham), this thread has made me want take a chance and write a letter to the new CLEO about getting my restrictions lifted early.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom