• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Denied request to have restrictions removed in Boston

Funny that you write this. Waltham was always RED town and about 3-4 years ago they turned GREEN. I discussed it with the LO at time of renewal and he told me that CoP realized that the 'laws' around restrictions are so vague, that no one really knows what it means, so he decided to go GREEN and not to put restrictions on first license any more.

I'm glad Waltham went green, but that the extent of everyone in a town's right to bear arms was changed on the whim of an epiphany of one police officer is, unsettling, no matter how many times we go through this with different towns (such as mine!)

There are free legal services options for people who qualify and generally speaking, the lawyers working at legal aid organizations are just as competent if not more competent than the average attorney. Some very pro-gun attorneys volunteer at legal aid organizations such as the ACLU. I'm not too familiar with the pro-gun legal aid lawyers in Mass, so I suggest privately messaging @nstassel and or @swatgig and asking if they know anyone.

@Jimdev45 should also talk to @JayR about engaging legal services. @JayR won a judgment against his town in RI using the services of the RI ACLU. Perhaps the RI ACLU lawyers know people in Mass, or could even represent him if they're licensed in Mass?

ACLU Wins Gun Lawsuit In R.I.

Haven't been around in a while, looks like I logged on, on the right day.
As mentioned, look up the MA ACLU site and see if you can file an online complaint.

I can't speak highly enough of what the RI ACLU did for me. I got representation that money couldn't buy. No BS!
I too am disabled and I hate to say it but any ADA help out there is not for situations such as this. It is all for access. Sidewalks, elevators, etc...
There are no advocates for us when it comes to any other civil rights. I've spent years looking. Not just for 2A stuff either.
I've had 7 spinal surgeries to my neck and lower back. I'm fused over 9 disc levels. Six cervical spine and three lumbar.
34 screws into 11 vertebrae.
I also suffer from a very rare neurological disease. Hypokalemic Periodic Paralysis.
I couldn't get any help from the ADA no matter how hard I tried. I was being harassed and stalked and the police I was suing would do nothing about it.
No one polices the police... The ADA agencies were useless.
I'm afraid to say, if the ACLU won't help, you'll have to lawyer up out of pocket.

Update, so I contacted the Massachusetts ACLU, and they said they didn’t have the resources to take on my case. But they did give me 3 other numbers to call. So I’ll keep making calls!!!

I had two students last year that went for their LTC A husband,and wife.They had a letter from there Rabbi
stated that they would be protecting the Temple when there was services going on.Someone from PD called the
wife telling her that it was dangerous,and people could get hurt if she had to shoot back.Well long story
short he got non restricted because he is a Doctor,and she did not.They came right out ,and told them
to get unrestricted you have to fall into a certain category.

The Boston PD used to stamp "no concealed carry" on the paper licenses issued with a target "reason for issuance" (what it was called in those days until it was change to "restriction" after GOAL raised the issue of "is is just a reason or a restriction?". Chances are excellent that "you know what we meant and word games won't convince us otherwise" is going to the be the police reaction, and is very very unlikely to fly in court, especially on the civil end. Nobody really worries about the possible civil fine ... the issue is losing an LTC over restrictions.

This, It is all up to the COP; it means what it says it means.

I once had a restricted license from a red town. The restriction was: Target, Hunting, and for protection when answering alarms. I was a key holder for my place of employment, in an industrial area, and had a letter from my boss.

I moved.

Bob

Update! Struck out again, called the Massachusetts Disability Law services . And just like the ACLU they said they don’t have the funding to help!

Dude, really, just become an instructor - it'll cost you around $200 and a couple of days of fun learning material and Boston will hand you an unrestricted LTC without issue.

Dude, really, just become an instructor - it'll cost you around $200 and a couple of days of fun learning material and Boston will hand you an unrestricted LTC without issue.
That's right, you should just comply,

That's right, you should just comply,
Are you one of those people who always tell others to go sue towns but you never do it yourself? I bet all your MA-legal guns are registered too, huh?

Are you one of those people who always tell others to go sue towns but you never do it yourself? I bet all your MA-legal guns are registered too, huh?
Going back to 1989 none of my LTC applications/renewals had the optional two references completed, never an issue. What about you?
I was actively involved in town government as an elected TM member, and I sat on the public safety committee, where I constantly pissed off the CoP. You could here him groan ever time I said I have a few questions. His budget had to be approved by our committee so he really had no choice.
There was a gap in my having an LTC, but when I re-applied in 2014, after being very vocal in my opinions of how the PD was run, I was denied as unsuitable, Yes the reason given was a 19 year old arrest/CWOF/Dismissed.
I fought that, but ran out of money.
I have and continue to speak out, having testified at various hearings and met with Senator Spilka and Representative Walsh (now deceased) many times.
I spent my own money to higher a lawyer (out of a concern of retaliation) to file public information requests to all 9 Metro-West police departments.
I have filed additional public information request myself, as well as FOIA requests, the FOIA requests didn't yield much in the way of useful information.
And even though I moved to NH, I continue to stay involved.
And since I was a licensed firearms dealer in MA, only 2 of the guns I ever owned in MA were registered.
Oh, and I give money to GOAL, Comm2a, and NSSF.

Now, what have you done beyond posting on NES and a couple rallies? Where have you put your real name in front of the opposition so they know who you are?

Yes, I encourage people not to just blindly comply with unlawful requirements. I would hope that if they can afford it, they will fight it. But I don't fault them if they can't. I could only fight so much before I ran out of money, money that I needed then and would be more than a little helpful even today. And when I personally encounter a situation that I have standing to fight again, I will. It will probably bankrupt me, but I'm getting too old to add another "what I should have done" to the list.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some vodka in the freezer that's calling my name.

Now, what have you done beyond posting on NES and a couple rallies?
Me? I went and got an unrestricted LTC in Boston by following the advice I posted above and not doing what you suggested (which was to go bankrupt fighting the system and then escaping to another state). That's what I've done.

Snarky comments chastising people for trying to work within the system aren't helpful. OP can get his restrictions lifted within the next few weeks or spend several years and tens of thousands of dollars trying to sue the city - it's his choice. Me, I'd leave the lawsuits to the professionals (comm2a).

Me? I went and got an unrestricted LTC in Boston by following the advice I posted above and not doing what you suggested (which was to go bankrupt fighting the system and then escaping to another state). That's what I've done.

Snarky comments chastising people for trying to work within the system aren't helpful. OP can get his restrictions lifted within the next few weeks or spend several years and tens of thousands of dollars trying to sue the city - it's his choice. Me, I'd leave the lawsuits to the professionals (comm2a).
I don't see fighting against an unfair system, and doing what you have to to get your own as mutually exclusive. Unfortunately many do, maybe not you, I don't know. But far too many "get theirs" and their fight ends there. And this only leads in one direction, it gets worse for the next guy, and then worse for the next, and so on.

Back
Top Bottom