Licensed in MA & NH can if I buy a gun in NH and bring it home amd I breaking Laws?

Questions like this should not be posted. A little research would eliminate 90% of them. A waste of eveyone's time and nothing gained. Obtain and read the Federal and State laws. I know, some issues are decided in the courts, but most everything can be found in the printed laws. Jack.

If you do it as a private sale can you bring a gun into MA through a dealer that isn't on the approved lists? I've seen it both ways at this point, and I'm confused.

This is very confusing. I tried using the search, but could not find a definite answer to this.

What if a gun was legally purchased in another state while serving in the military and then brought back to MA after one's enlistment had ended?

Back in '93, when I got out of the USMC, the only requirement I saw was that I needed to get a FID (to own if already in my possession) and a LTC to carry or purchase a new handgun in MA, all within a certain number of days. I recall 60 days or something like that. There was no registration of the gun needed as well.

How has this changed now?

The OP wants to buy a handgun from a dealer who is not in Massachusetts. The handgun must be transferred through a MA FFL. Period.

Correct and correct on both sentences.[wink]

I will explain, please try and keep up. [wink]

The OP wants to buy a handgun from a dealer who is not in Massachusetts, Right?
The OP is told
Quote:
You can only buy a handgun from an FFL in YOUR STATE, or a private party who lives in your state of residence.
Does this look like an accurate statement to you? Or should the reply have read, yes you
may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

The first quote, could lead someone to believe that as a MA resident, you may only purchase (make payment to) handguns from a MA dealer (only firearms currently in MA) and buying from a private
party outside of MA is illegal.

Get it!
I'm done trying to explain JEESH [rolleyes]

This is very confusing. I tried using the search, but could not find a definite answer to this.

What if a gun was legally purchased in another state while serving in the military and then brought back to MA after one's enlistment had ended?

Back in '93, when I got out of the USMC, the only requirement I saw was that I needed to get a FID (to own if already in my possession) and a LTC to carry or purchase a new handgun in MA, all within a certain number of days. I recall 60 days or something like that. There was no registration of the gun needed as well.

How has this changed now?

If you have a valid MA LTC, just file the FA10. If you don't have one yet, I think you have 180 days to apply for your LTC. During that time, you can have it in your home but it must be stored safely and you aren't even supposed to handle it. GOAL has a nice FAQ on this.

If you have a valid MA LTC, just file the FA10. If you don't have one yet, I think you have 180 days to apply for your LTC. During that time, you can have it in your home but it must be stored safely and you aren't even supposed to handle it. GOAL has a nice FAQ on this.

Yes, I have a LTC-A (ALP) right now. Have had one since '94. I bought the gun (a Glock 23) at the PX back in '92 while I was still serving. Got out of the Corps in late '93 and brought the gun back with me. At the time, I swore I saw a provision of some type that said I was not required to register the gun, but absolutely needed to get the FID and LTC.

Is there a sample of a FA-10 that I can download anywhere? Obviously if I send in the FA-10 now, the purchase date would be well over 15 years. A little late according to the law I think [smile] Somehow, I don't think there's any notion of any grandfather clause in this state. [sad]

Last edited:
OK. I "think" I found my answer. From what I read here:

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/cis/ciswel/weltomas.htm

It sounds like when I spoke with the licensing officer way back when, he may have viewed me as a "new resident", because I was living out-of-state for 9 years even though MA was still my home of record while I was on active duty.

Under Gun Laws (M.G.L. ch. 140, s. 131 and ch. 269 s. 10, 12B & 14), there is this paragraph:

New residents have 60 days to obtain proper licenses. Non-residents may obtain temporary licenses to carry through the Firearms Record Bureau in order to possess and transport firearms through the Commonwealth. All non-residents must comply with all Massachusetts laws regarding transportation and storage while in the Commonwealth.

No where does it say I need to do a FA-10. Only that I had 60 days to get what was (at that time) a FID first and then a LTC later if I were to carry the gun outside of my home. I suspect this is because any guns that I had already owned were not a recent purchase in the state while I was an actual resident.

Would anyone disagree with this assumption? Man, this state has got more gun laws and regulations than guns itself.

Last edited:
Scrivener i never pretend to act like i know the laws i just say what ive read and that is the law that ive read MGL Chapter 140 Section 128B. I was only stating something that ive read to try and help to original posters question, i wasnt trying to start an argument, these forums are here to share info not criticize anothers comments.

Can you point to that law and quote it? Remember misinformation can result in harmless people doing time in the FED PEN.

IANAL but if I've read everything properly it appears that you are legal now and you do not need to do an FA10. Unlike the OP your gun moved with you to MA when you got out. The fact that you bought it out of state before resuming residency is as far as I can tell immaterial.
OK. I "think" I found my answer. From what I read here:

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/cis/ciswel/weltomas.htm

It sounds like when I spoke with the licensing officer way back when, he may have viewed me as a "new resident", because I was living out-of-state for 9 years even though MA was still my home of record while I was on active duty.

Under Gun Laws (M.G.L. ch. 140, s. 131 and ch. 269 s. 10, 12B & 14), there is this paragraph:

No where does it say I need to do a FA-10. Only that I had 60 days to get what was (at that time) a FID first and then a LTC later if I were to carry the gun outside of my home. I suspect this is because any guns that I had already owned were not a recent purchase in the state while I was an actual resident.

Would anyone disagree with this assumption? Man, this state has got more gun laws and regulations than guns itself.

Back
Top Bottom