Lever guns

True dat. I will say anyone who has a pre 64 Winchester 30-30 in good condition has themselves a nice piece.
That gun got my father a dozen deer in as many years. He has since gotten out of shooting, and has no interest to get back into it. He's firmly in the "no one needs an assault rifle" camp but I love him regardless.

In the early 90's I bought 3 marlin guide guns. 2 in 45-70 and one in 444. At the same time I bought a 16' Marlin lever gun in 45 Long Colt. I make hand loads for the 45 Long Colt that are pretty hot. Like 45 Long Colt Magnums. The 45 Long Colt drops deer every bit as well as the 45-70's and 444. I paid $450.00 each for the 45-70's and the 444. $400.00 for the 16" 45 Long Colt. They were all NIB from the local gun shop. I'll never see those prices again.
44 Mag and 45LC are pretty much all I'll go with now, you can load them hot and they are deer killers, and easy to run the gun fast, and download, and reload.

I have one 1895 in 45-70....but that's all Ill have probably. Always tempted to buy the new Trapper...but realistically.....I want it in 44mag.

Downloaded with about 10 grains of Unique, they are almost as much fun as the .357.

Love the 44mag.....just bought a Ruger M77 bolt gun in .44 as well, beautiful wood stock.

I had a 77/44 stainless, I replaced the synthetic stock with a walnut that had beautiful figure as well that I got directly from Ruger. I just started buying the Lipsey's stainless 77 RSIs and decided I liked those better than anything else, I've actually bought walnut ultralight stocks from Ruger for a couple, which are a direct drop in.

Last edited:
I had a 77/44 stainless, I replaced the synthetic stock with a walnut that had beautiful figure as well that I got directly from Ruger. I just started buying the Lipsey's stainless 77 RSIs and decided I liked those better than anything else, I've actually bought walnut ultralight stocks from Ruger for a couple, which are a direct drop in.

WANT!

Very nice rifles. Ive seen a few, never bought. They are beautiful though.

Very nice rifles. Ive seen a few, never bought. They are beautiful though.

They are my favorites, just wish they had 20 inch barrels like the Remington Model 7 Mannlichers. Next favorites are the Kimber 84M Select Grades, I have blued ones, wish I had bought the stainless ones when they were available.

I have one of the new Ruger Marlin 1894's in 357 on the way to my FFL, looking forward to testing it out.
I saw 2 of them for sale this past weekend. One was at White Birch Armory in NH and the other at Kittery Trading Post in Maine. I just bought a old Marlin 1894 mfg. in 1969 otherwise I would have probably bought one of the new rifles.

That's a beauty. Is that all original finish?
Yes I think it is. The blueing is also very, very nice.
I had another Winchester 94 (1956) that I sold after I got this rifle. It had a lot of blueing wear where it was carried in the woods - really nice patina I thought. That gun was a great shooter. I wish I hadn't sold it.

I only got into levers in the past year or so; don't know why I waited so long. They are a blast. First a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington and then another in .30-30. The latter is a 1946 waffle-top (I guess that's what they're called). I had a milk crate of .30-30 ammo loaded up and never had anything chambered in .30-30, so the purchase was necessary. Yes, I've also loaded up .45-70, but I haven't gone for number three yet.

View: https://imgur.com/UHiyIfE

Overlength rounds usually have to be loaded single-shot as they don't feed properly from a tube.

Attachments

• IMG_0860.JPG
    IMG_0860.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 4
I know this forum isn’t a huge Bass Pro fan but the trapper is currently in stock for non ass rape pricing. Probably won’t be in 5 minutes but worth a shot.

EDIT: 30 seconds after I posted OOS
Actually had the chance to buy one of those when i was down in SC on the 10% off card member Mondays before Xmas. I think I could have even stretched it out a year or something on zero interest payments.......

Passed on it as 45-70 tends to become safe queen material for me.

I only got into levers in the past year or so; don't know why I waited so long. They are a blast. First a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington and then another in .30-30. The latter is a 1946 waffle-top (I guess that's what they're called). I had a milk crate of .30-30 ammo loaded up and never had anything chambered in .30-30, so the purchase was necessary. Yes, I've also loaded up .45-70, but I haven't gone for number three yet.

View: https://imgur.com/UHiyIfE

Overlength rounds usually have to be loaded single-shot as they don't feed properly from a tube.

435 grains are not too big and with smokeless 45/70 has plenty of space (usually - depends on powder). You can seat them deeper in the case.

Actually had the chance to buy one of those when i was down in SC on the 10% off card member Mondays before Xmas. I think I could have even stretched it out a year or something on zero interest payments.......

Passed on it as 45-70 tends to become safe queen material for me.
I got both my sbl and trapper from them. I saved hundreds of dollars on each compared to what other retailers were getting for them.

Back
Top Bottom