• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lever guns

Are people really paying 1500 and up for lever guns?

Listen I've owned one its fun to shoot. I shouldn't have sold it

But i bought my 45-70 marlin for 300 bucks now they are like 2000

I just saw a winchester 44 mag for 2 grand

Who's paying these prices for them?

I got a marlin trapper a couple months ago and a few weeks ago a 1895 sbl. I was fortunate to stumble across both on the bass pro site so I got them for a fair price compared to the current market prices. I can tell you that within 1 hour of both of those being in stock they were just as quickly out of stock. It's a supply and demand issue.

I did. If I want a specific gun I do not let the price prevent me from getting what I want.

Obviously I look around to see what the price is and if it is mostly in line with what most others are asking.

Either I get it or not...those are my choices.

But unless there is a gun market crash what else can I do if I want that gun.

I'm not paying those prices. Some people are.....and if they want them that bad thats OK w/me.

I'm glad I bought my Remlins for 400-500 dollars at the late to end years of production.

I have bought one Miroku made Winchester for 1K. But the quality is there.....

That said I'm a realist and figure 800-1K is probably where these will end up. Similar to the Henry's.

Marlin has the new 336 MSRP at 1240 dollars. Grabagun is trying to get 1599.00, thats retarded and for the inital people that just want it at whatever price.
If people looked around they can get a High grade figured walnut, Miroku made Winchester for that kind of money thats 10x nicer.

Like anything else supply and demand. Trickle them out there, make above MSRP then just make them and sell them because you are still making money
even at discount.

Colt Python, same thing......original guns were retarded priced, then down to MSRP, now they are below MSRP. These will be too.

But I get it, I'm a guy that grew up where leverguns were in every store on the used rack for 300 dollars or less for over 25 years of my gun ownership.......I dont understand the scarcity or
the prices either.

Last edited:
To me, it shows that even though many Manufacturers went full on ‘ga ga’ over to MSRs and other ‘plastic-stocked’ arms and the like …

there will always be a demand for CLASSIC arms! I see a both a huge demand and lack of inventory in classic S&W or other brand revolvers and wood-stocked ‘hunting’ rifles like Win model 70s, etc.

Like said, had bought my 1st SKS for $95, now same Norincos are $600. Mosin 91/30s for $75 or less, where the last one I saw (not as good) was $495 - yikes!

CZ used to make the wood-stocked 557 modern Mauser variant in traditional hunting calibers, selling for $600+. But they switched their entire product line over to be PLASTIC stocks to where now the wood ones are commanding 2X the original purchase price, for used rifles no less.

A lot of levers are being sold on GB for 2x their original cost (or more than that on older ones in good condition). A few get into bidding wars and push them into the 3X cost range or even higher.

I'm glad I picked-up my small lever collection over the past 10 years (including a 16" stainless Marlin 1894 CSBL for under $1K).

Last edited:
To me, it shows that even though many Manufacturers went full on ‘ga ga’ over to MSRs and other ‘plastic-stocked’ arms and the like …

there will always be a demand for CLASSIC arms! I see a both a huge demand and lack of inventory in classic S&W or other brand revolvers and wood-stocked ‘hunting’ rifles like Win model 70s, etc.

Like said, had bought my 1st SKS for $95, now same Norincos are $600. Mosin 91/30s for $75 or less, where the last one I saw (not as good) was $495 - yikes!

CZ used to make the wood-stocked 557 modern Mauser variant in traditional hunting calibers, selling for $600+. But they switched their entire product line over to be PLASTIC stocks to where now the wood ones are commanding 2X the original purchase price, for used rifles no less.
I don't disagree with demand and what not

But 2 grand for a marlin

Blame Kevin Kostner. JK, but the resurgence of cowboy themed shows may have something to do with driving up demand..

800px-YellowstoneS1E07_02.jpg

Yes, I paid close to that for a Miroku Winchester Deluxe 30-30. I’ve wanted one since before Yellowstone for the record. View attachment 748960
Guns like this are custom and demand more. High figured wood,, well done case hardening, turned down barrel and excellent fit and finish. I nearly bought one too, but decided, it would become too much of a safe queen.

That said a standard grade plain jane lever should be no where near the price of what you have above there.

I bought my guns WAY before Yellowstone, but if that's the case that means its a fad and the prices will drop when everyone decides they aren't a cowboy any more and sells them.

Winchester 9422's are bringing big $$$. I have an XTR that I bought back in the early 80's. It is a nice rifle although I have not shot it in years.

Not saying I would pay a lot for one but if you look at the auction sites some people are.View attachment 748886
I've got an unfired high grade version with the coon & hound engraving. Pretty gun, for sure.

people are paying in excess of 6000 for bespoke lever guns. $1500 is the cost of doing business my dude

Here's the Lever Gun You Want

Teddy Roosevelt's "Little 30" Maxim Suppressed Winchester Takedown Model 94 This rifle cost $9.70 in 1909

View attachment 748975
IMG_20190126_131024321.jpg
Here's mine, pic taken in NC before I moved here. It and the can are safely stored in the free states now ;-). The 1-4x vortex is on my bolt-action 22 here, I have a red dot I'm going to put on the XS rail. I also had a trigger job done and loaded a bunch of min-load 150 grain ammo. So much fun to shoot!

I got mine for like 350 brand new, Marlin 336 30-30. Love that gun but probably won't be buying another at these prices, jeez.
That’s about what I got mine for….back when they used to sit on the rack and rot there….

I wouldn’t sell it.

I'm under 1k for each of my lever guns. Two new and one used. Not sad about what I paid at all. I may have to pay a bit more for my next one but also not sad about it too much. Harder to find and one I would like to have. I think some of the 2k+ are either people getting something a little special/custom or people not doing their research and just over paying for a name.

Attachments

• 20230315_153044(1).jpg
    20230315_153044(1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom