• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lever guns

The only levers I'm interested in are Rossi's and Henry's, I don't see what the benefits are to a $1500+ lever action. Smoother actions are nice, certainly help in CAS matches, but for general, non competition use? Not worth it.

Now, my focus is on revolver caliber magnum lever actions and I like the Rossi and Henry for those, the .45-70 and .30-30 maybe Marlin and Winchester are better, but I don't care because if I wanted that kind of power and range in a manual action rifle, I'd get a bolt action.
I lean this way. That said, I'll always have a Model 94 and 336C in 30-30 and/or 35Rem and 1895 in 45-70. Just because.

I'll never shoot them as much as the Pistol Levers, but I'll have them and shoot them more than any bolt rifle with a scope.

Super expensive levers are beautiful, but hard to justify. I've though of buying a high grade 73 or 94 and ended up saying no because I would have not used it.

The Rossi is low on the scale of wood and metalwork....but it's fun to shoot, hits at 50 yards, and it runs.

Have to say now....for a guy that grew up on racks of 300 dollar levers.....500 dollar Rossi's and 1K Marlin, Henry and Winchester levers are somewhat hard to stomach. But that's where we are.

In my opinion, the only lever actions (not collectibles) worth $1500 to me, are either an 1886 in 45/90, a Uberti in 357 (competition ready), or one of those Big Horn chambered in .460 SW or 500 SW.

I really want an 1886 in 45/90.

Henrys are the only one who didn't go up really in price
They've creeped up a little, just like Miroku Winchester has as well has but yeah.....they and Winchester don't introduce new guns like Ruger is, and dealers don't try and sauce people for 500 over MSRP for them. When the Marlin 1894 in .44 comes out, it will be very popular, more popular than the 336C and the dealers will be trying to get 1500 for those too.

Miroku WInchester definately has availability problems in certain models.......I see those very sporadically...and calibers and model type is like whatever shows up, I think big dealers have open orders for all of them.

Biggest problem with Henry is availability at least in some calibers like .44mag. A big boy steel in .44 lasts about 1.2 seconds at a dealer before someone buys it for 900 dollars. The brass models, and the larger calibers not so much. I'm not sure why Henry hasn't figured this out yet and produces them 2:1 vs. other rifles, and get as many sold before the Marlin 1894 comes out and people buy those instead.

That said....I haven't done a wikiarms search in while and I think things are loosening up for them, and they are becoming more available.

The price of everything is going up. The prices of the raw materials have gone up to make anything. The price of the grease and energy to run the machines to make anything has almost doubled. I don’t think it’s a supply in demand thing any more. It’s the dollar shatting its dollar pants thing . It’s a thanks a lot obiden (all politicians) thing. I can’t imagine the price of anything going back to what it was in the before times. For that reason I keep paying stupid prices

I meant the segmented bowls, but that's Beautiful too haha

I wasn’t sure, I will send you a PM when I get a chance. I ‘m just getting started so I’m mostly doing trim rings and such. I need more control over my stock thickness before I stop dipping my toes in the water and dive in.

I really need a good planer like the Dewalt 735 but I want to buy another lever gun in 38/357 too sooo there’s that.😆😆😆

I’ve learned in life that In life you can have everything you want just not all at the same time .😂😂😂

I wasn’t sure, I will send you a PM when I get a chance. I ‘m just getting started so I’m mostly doing trim rings and such. I need more control over my stock thickness before I stop dipping my toes in the water and dive in.

I really need a good planer like the Dewalt 735 but I want to buy another lever gun in 38/357 too sooo there’s that.😆😆😆

I’ve learned in life that In life you can have everything you want just not all at the same time .😂😂😂
Woodworking and home improvements are what keep me from owning an arsenal 🤣

I've yet to invest in a good planer, I still flatten all my slabs with a router sled

Around 1972 my friend Chris's Grandfather "Tapper" showed us his Marlin 336 in 444 Marlin. I was impressed back then and today I own (5) Marlin Lever Guns

reloading-444-marlin.jpg

I don't know about the others but I will say the Henry Big Boy's in 44 magnum that I just took in trade are exceptional in fit and finish. Probably worth whatever they are charging for new. I have a 1970s Marlin 30-30 that is way nicer than the most recent 336 that I had, the Big Boys are as nice as that. Of course it would be better if they were side loading but still, really nice. There is just enough slop in the lever action to allow for most ammo types while still feeling nice and tight.

This....WTH. I've got the 22" version and its been sighted with skinners, and fired, maybe not that many times...but man....gotta put a few rounds thru it.

That's why I dont love the short 45-70's they be come safe queens.
I actually love the carbines and guide guns. Will be fired soon and often.

This....WTH. I've got the 22" version and its been sighted with skinners, and fired, maybe not that many times...but man....gotta put a few rounds thru it.

That's why I dont love the short 45-70's they be come safe queens.
I hate them because they are way too much fun to shoot and I can't reload fast enough.

Looking to jump into the lever action game addiction in 357
Shooting Supply has the Rossi R92 on sale for $602 but I was looking at the Triple Black or the tacti-gay version LevTac

Not looking for a safe queen so nice wood doesn't matter plus the other versions come with a scope rail and peep sight.

Jump in for $150 less or have a slight amount of self control and order what I really want?

Back
Top Bottom