Lever action Rifle

That Winchester is gorgeous.

I don't like the wood on the Marlin's, it looks almost plasticy.

One thing is sure, and that is the Henry's are like a well oiled sewing machine snickety snick smooth.

If you are going for small game, get a .22 or .22 Mag. I like the Henry.

The Big Boy is smoother, has nicer wood and it's easier to load, but it's also heavier and more expensive than the Marlin.

I prefer the loading gate of a Marlin, Winchester, or Rossi over the feed the tube from the front thingy on the Henry.

Actually that's the only thing about the Henry rifles I don't like.

I prefer the loading gate of a Marlin, Winchester, or Rossi over the feed the tube from the front thingy on the Henry. Actually that's the only thing about the Henry rifles I don't like.

Really ????
That's one of the things I like best about the Henrys, they load like a rimfire rifle.
I've always found it awkward to load through the side gates on most lever guns, pushing each round in with the nose of the next one, scratching the side of the receiver with the cartridge rim, getting your fingertip pinched trying to get that last one in. Then, if you find a need to unload it, you have no choice but to cycle every round through the action until it's empty. With the Henry, you simply drop the rounds in the tube slot, no fighting against any gate or tube springs. To unload just pull the tube out and tilt the gun down, all the rounds easily slide out while keeping the chamber empty.

just to let you guys know, bobs just got a used henry big boy in 44 in. i talked to the guy who owns it, told me he shot maybe 200 rounds. has a few scratches in the gold but is not bad. that action in nice. i may want one in 38 now.

I've tried Henries, nice enough but I preferred either Marlins or Rossie. There are a few more out there that are nice but those are my in production selects. I've heard Marlins may be a hit or miss at the moment but I can't say as I've not looked in some time. I am debating getting Henries 22 pump as a nostalgic piece, not sure yet.

Anyway, couple pros and cons. I prefer a loading gate as opposed to a tube. It doesn't bother me that my 39A has a tube but it's in no way my favorite way to load. It's a bit cumbersome, esp. in the field. With a gate, it's really easy to top off the rifle if you've let a few go and want to get a full load. As far as cranking them out to unload, I find that a rarity as I don't think I've ever left the line without an empty rifle. I also know someone that lost his tube rod, go figure.

On that note, it kind of loses a bit as a survival sort of weapon, like depending on mags. I like them self contained

I can see someone being conservative, esp with say .44's (for pistol calibers) as they are costly (I think over $1.00 a round last time I bought factory). I'm well stocked on factory but I reload so that's fairly moot. I think anyone who does range time with pistols should reload. 357/38 and 44mag/44spe are some of the easiest to do, as any straight walled are. I did a little write-up on another site if you want to see how: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/3..._up_my_style_so_I_did__enjoy__I_hope____.html

I really don't think Henries wood is all that either (no pun intended) next to a bullseyed Marlin, all mine are bullseyed and have nice grains. Rossi has practically no grain character. Henries are nice enough and it's beautiful on the deluxe but that's a heavy price tag for a lever. The golden boy's receiver is brasslite, whatever that is and though advertised as brass, I think the big boy is an alloy, which would be my pick of Henry lever rifles. The fit and finish is also great on a Henry but it's heavy. That's fine for the bench, if using a support on a lever has an advantage, but I use levers mostly off hand. I crank them out without taking the rifle from my shoulder. For a 357, I prefer it light and quick handling hence the Rossi.

For a woods gun, I prefer stainless. Marlin and Rossi are both offered that way. They are not rustproof as it's not the stainless you think it is but it's more forgiving then blued.

There's more but the best thing to do is try a few brands to see which you "feel" is the best. Hey, if it's a 2X4 with a pipe on it but you find it "fits", then that's your boy. Again, hope this helps. Sorry for the wall of words.

Years ago I had an early model Rossi 92 Puma in .357, that gun was a total POS, the new ones are MUCH improved.
I was shooting it at the range and the action locked up solid in the open position, there were still rounds in the tube which I was unable to remove, short of disassembling the whole gun right there. I didn't have a set of screwdrivers with me, so that wasn't an option at the range. I had to transport the gun home with live ammo still in the magazine and take it apart at home, had it been a tube loader like a Henry or a rimfire, this wouldn't have been an issue.

Years ago I had an early model Rossi 92 Puma in .357, that gun was a total POS, the new ones are MUCH improved.
I was shooting it at the range and the action locked up solid in the open position, there were still rounds in the tube which I was unable to remove, short of disassembling the whole gun right there. I didn't have a set of screwdrivers with me, so that wasn't an option at the range. I had to transport the gun home with live ammo still in the magazine and take it apart at home, had it been a tube loader like a Henry or a rimfire, this wouldn't have been an issue.

Yeah, but tube loaders don't look as cool. [wink]

I REALLY want one of those Marlin 20" in 30-30, only worried about the price of ammo. That hooded front sight is mint, it doesn't feel long or unwieldy, and the action feels solid. I love that side loading/ejecting look. Waiting patiently for the funds....

Does anyone make a side-eject .357? All the ones I've seen eject out the top. I'm new to leverguns...

I REALLY want one of those Marlin 20" in 30-30, only worried about the price of ammo. That hooded front sight is mint, it doesn't feel long or unwieldy, and the action feels solid. I love that side loading/ejecting look. Waiting patiently for the funds....

Does anyone make a side-eject .357? All the ones I've seen eject out the top. I'm new to leverguns...

Yes, the Henrys and Marlins are side eject.

==========

Henry .357:

HenryBigBoy357RifleL.jpg

==========

Marlin 1894, .357:

IMG_20110605_152113-1024x771.jpg

Back
Top Bottom