• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lever action Rifle

MG2112

NES Member
All

Getting the itch to purchase a lever action rifle. I like the 38/357 carbine platform . I would use the gun for target/range/plinking and maybe begin to do some small game hunting down the road. I am looking at Rossi,
Marlin, or Henry. Can anyone provide some insight to lever actions, best experiences, comments....

Thanks

MG

I am also interested in a 357 lever rifle. I used to have a Winchester 94AE 'trapper' model in 44 magnum. It was fun to shoot, although since it was so light it had some kick to it. I got a neat little aperture rear sight that made it easier to shoot accurately.

I also had a Marlin 357 1894C, that I bought new, but I was not so happy with the quality; various screws kept coming loose, and it's action was not so smooth.

I'm interested in the Rossi http://www.rossiusa.com/product-details.cfm?id=162 in .357 , they are inexpensive, and I have heard good things about them.

I have a marlin in 44. Very nice action and last time I used it I was knocking over candlepins at 120 ft with iron sites offhand. Never used the Rossi.

I have a JM stamped Marlin 1894c .357. Absolutely a ton of fun with beautiful action. It is an early 80s vintage.

There were complaints about the Remington made Marlin models but that seems to have Improved recently.

I have a JM stamped Marlin 1894c .357. Absolutely a ton of fun with beautiful action. It is an early 80s vintage.

There were complaints about the Remington made Marlin models but that seems to have Improved recently.

I have the exact same Marlin 1894c from the late 1970's. It is one of my favorite guns to shoot.

I just bought a Rossi 92 in 44 mag SS 16" barrel. I'm once again waiting the four day delay I enounter every purchase. So I can't even hold it yet.

i almost grabbed .45-70 all stainless Marlin 1895SBL from the guy at my range. it was sweet. and recoil was not at all you would expect from big-bore rifle even with 18.5" bbl.
too bad guy backed out. he was asking quite a bit below market value. i felt sad like for two month afterwards.

i've been interested in the same gun for many years as well in either the 357 OR 44 mag.

i really like the idea of a revolver and rifle in a matched & easy to find magnum caliber.

michael pare had a similar outfit ( along with a 12 guage pump ) in the movie " streets of fire " back in the 80's

What does one of these go for?

I just searched for it on the Davidsons Gallery of Guns website, they have 23 in stock, and you can order it right now from Hanns-On in Nashua and get it for $456.
It's a fun little rifle, smooth and accurate, and less expensive than the Marlin 1894C.

I have the .44 Mag version, also in stainless, with the 16" barrel. I'd love to get one in .357 too.

I also have a JM marked 1894c in 357, its been my most enjoyable firearm.
I want another in 44, but worry about the quality of the currently made Remington/Marlin rifles

I just bought a Rossi 92 in 44 mag SS 16" barrel. I'm once again waiting the four day delay I enounter every purchase. So I can't even hold it yet.

What shop is this from?

- - - Updated - - -

I just searched for it on the Davidsons Gallery of Guns website, they have 23 in stock, and you can order it right now from Hanns-On in Nashua and get it for $456.
It's a fun little rifle, smooth and accurate, and less expensive than the Marlin 1894C.

I have the .44 Mag version, also in stainless, with the 16" barrel. I'd love to get one in .357 too.

It seems like most people with a lever gun in 357 or 44 wants another one in the other caliber!

The JM stamped Marlins are the nicer ones. If you can find an old Marlin I would buy it.

I want another lever gun so bad, but like everything else, there are so many choices, and I want all of them.

I was in Florida for the past week, my uncle showed me his old Winchester 92 .32 20, he said it was his grandfathers, then his fathers, now his, he's 81, I'm not sure of the year it was made, but a nice old rifle just the same..

PB221151.jpg

What shop is this from?
Hunters Trading in Weymouth, as of Saturday afternoon they still had one 357 left.

I have a couple lever actions. Mostly Marlins (Pre-Remington), one Rossi, a pre- 64 Whinny. The one Rossi is in 357/38. I went with the Rossi for a couple of reasons. First one is it's tiny. I wanted a really small rifle so I went with the carbine. Another great feature is it's receiver is extremely strong. It's the same used all the way up through their 454 cas. I really don't care for lever action factory sights so I've put Williams peeps on all the Marlins and a Marbles tang sight on the Rossi. I prefer the Marbles tang as it adjust for both ele. & wind. where the Lyman only does ele. I also switched out the Rossi's front sight to a higher one and the rear sight with a folding one. Both from Steves. I wanted the Tang for out to a 100-about 125 yards and the regular buckhorn for 25 -about 50. When I get a new lever, I'll clean it up, put on a pair of shooting gloves and through the lever a thousand times or so. It really smooths things out. As far as cleaning goes, Marlins are the easiest to break down. Rossies and Winchesters are not easy.

Hope this helps some.

Some of the Levers: top down, 45-70, 30-30, 44mag/44spec, 357mag/38spec, 22:

Leveraction-1.jpg

Here's some combinations of hand guns and matching caliber rifles :

357s.jpg

44swith12.jpg

22sw12.jpg

I spotted a bunch of these today in Framingham.
I've never seen a toy soldier carry a lever action rifle before.
Nor have I ever seen a bayonet mounted on a lever gun before either. [laugh]

Tin_Soldier.jpg

A bayonet on a lever gun? So EPIC it's not even funny. [laugh]

Maybe not yours Sjan, but those are some damn nice lever guns too. I want one, badly.

I have an option to buy an old Marlin from 1971 44mag. I keep going back & forth on it though.

The old Marlins are the way to go IMHO. The new Remlins I have heard horror stories about.

Back
Top Bottom