• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lets Settle This

6.5 Creedmoor
6 GT (for the memes)
30-06

Which one would you take Deer hunting?
Why?
Advantages and disadvantages?

Edit to add:
some people say "6.5cm is unethical for deer" - thoughts?
so, if you are to hunt - it is really about what else you may want to get.
for deer alone even an ar15 with .223 would do, just get a 75/77gr loads, it will work on a deer. but will not work on anything much bigger.

as of choosing between 6.5cm and 308 - depends upon what platform you want to lug around. the ruger sfar i have now - in .308 - i think it is a great hunting rig, it is lite enough and accurate enough up to 300 - mine shoots around 1.5moa, sometimes a bit better. it is good enough.
a 6.5cm AR10 i made in 16" faxon shoots more accurate, but, is about 1.5lbs heavier, not counting the scope.

if you intend to shoot at 300+ - dunno why would you - then 6.5cm will have some benefits from a good sub-moa rifle, but, such a rifle most likely will be too heavy to carry around the forest/mountain on your back. but if you intend taking down rams or anything like that from far enough away - sure, 6.5cm would be nice.

6GT is not a hunting round.

30-06 or .270 - depends upon what rifle you got in there, it is a boomers stuff now. :) i would not see much reason to honor 30-06 above hot loaded .308 with 175gr projectiles, really.

Last edited:
so, if you are to hunt - it is really about what else you may want to get.
for deer alone even an ar15 with .223 would do, just get a 75/77gr loads, it will work on a deer. but will not work on anything much bigger.

as of choosing between 6.5cm and 308 - depends upon what platform you want to lug around. the ruger sfar i have now - in .308 - i think it is a great hunting rig, it is lite enough and accurate enough up to 300 - mine shoots around 1.5moa, sometimes a bit better. it is good enough.
a 6.5cm AR10 i made in 16" faxon shoots more accurate, but, is about 1.5lbs heavier.

if you intend to shoot at 300+ - dunno why would you - then 6.5cm will have some benefits from a good sub-moa rifle, but, such a rifle most likely will be too heavy to carry around the forest/mountain on your back. but if you intend taking down rams or anything like that from far enough away - sure, 6.5cm would be nice.

6GT is not a hunting round.

30-06 or .270 - depends upon what rifle you got in there, it is a boomers stuff now. :) i would not see much reason to honor 30-06 above hot loaded .308 with 175gr projectiles, really.

Man, stop making me want a SFAR.

I am also looking into the Henry Long Ranger. I love a bolt action, but I prefer carrying a lever action. Every lever action I ever held seems to have better balance than bolt actions. Just personal preference.

What? No 8mm Mauser?

Three of the last four deer I've taken were with an unmodified (non sporterized) K98 Mauser.

The other was with a .223 and I had to track the thing, and find it the following morning. Shot placement was good, just too much adrenaline and it ran for another 350 yards into my front fields which were shoulder high.

No more .223 for me, .30 cal or larger or a shotgun slug.

I don't believe you, those 8mm bullets will just bounce off, you need 6.5s.

Never let having something that's sufficient stop you from getting what you want.

{insert debt limit joke here}
It's a daily battle between a lever in 357 or an AR in 308.
308 will likely win because I don't have anything in 308 but have all of the diesto reload it (and its just wrong to leave those dies idle)

308 will likely win because I don't have anything in 308 but have all of the diesto reload it (and its just wrong to leave those dies idle)
Obviously, the most American answer is
Season 6 Episode 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

Took me far too long to realize you didn't switch to Spanish and just missed a space

Yes, I am looking at the 6.5cm. That is what made me think about it.
if you look around for a current most popular hunting rifles -

i think you already have a very good one in 6.5cm. to go from there - with a 45-70 marlin, or a carbon weatherby - really depends upon intended use cases and type of the game you will be after. say, like, why would make one to use 47-70 on a deer? but if you indeed see a use for one - then, hell yeah for the marlin.

if i would be buying one now for hunting alone - i would go with the christensen ridgeline in .308, even though they are told - apparently - may be inconsistent quality wise.
but i do not hunt, and therefore ruger sfar is just about perfect all around tactical light rifle you can hunt with as well.

Last edited:
I dropped the operative word 'next'...
Safe still closes so there is always a next gun (or safe then it starts again
Fair.
I assumed this was like the antebellum states thing: enter in pairs, one semi and one manual action, so nobody is outnumbered ;)

Fair.
I assumed this was like the antebellum states thing: enter in pairs, one semi and one manual action, so nobody is outnumbered ;)
if you saw the list i posted - what the heck is 'proof tundra'? is it a well known brand now? or something new?
costs like a car, damn it.

if you look around for a current most popular hunting rifles -

i think you already have a very good one in 6.5cm. to go from there - with a 45-70 marlin, or a carbon weatherby - really depends upon intended use cases and type of the game you will be after. say, like, why would make one to use 47-70 on a deer? but if you indeed see a use for one - then, hell yeah for the marlin.

if i would be buying one now for hunting alone - i would go with the christensen ridgeline in .308, even though they are apparently may be inconsistent quality wise.
but i do not hunt, and therefore ruger sfar is just about perfect all around tactical light rifle you can hunt with as well.
FYI ... the CZ will do 1/2 - 1/4" all day.
I am waiting for someone to manufacture a chassis for it, that rifle has a lot of potential.

I found a CZ video on YouTube that makes it sound like the 600 Alpha can fit in the "600 range" stock.

But, of course CZ doesn't seem to sell the 600 range stock. I don't get it, release a new rifle, don't make the action compatible with any existing chassis and choose to not support it. WTF.

CZ is slowly going to sh*t on rifles. If the 600 is not successful they are probably done, maybe will remain in play with the 457 .22 market.

Screenshot ...

Screenshot_20230603_165227_YouTube.jpg

Back
Top Bottom