• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lets Settle This

All of them are just as good of bad for deer hunting in New England. They’re all more than enough. So I don’t care. If you have any of them just take that. If you don’t have any of them, and are hunting in the northeast woods, probably get a lever.

FYI ... the CZ will do 1/2 - 1/4" all day.
I am waiting for someone to manufacture a chassis for it, that rifle has a lot of potential.

I found a CZ video on YouTube that makes it sound like the 600 Alpha can fit in the "600 range" stock.

But, of course CZ doesn't seem to sell the 600 range stock. I don't get it, release a new rifle, don't make the action compatible with any existing chassis and choose to not support it. WTF.

CZ is slowly going to sh*t on rifles. If the 600 is not successful they are probably done, maybe will remain in play with the 457 .22 market.

Screenshot ...

View attachment 759729
the cz 600 is probably not the most popular right now but the bergaras and tikka's' are very highly recommended. Honestly we were putting down muleys at 600 in wyoming with 6.5 creed and that was more than enough.

This. Vintage model '94 all the way. I have two. Took one elk hunting in January too. Didn't see anything :(
I have a '94 AE in .307 Winchester. It's identical to .308 except for the rim to help with lever action extraction. In a pinch this rifle can shoot .308 and some have done that. I use .308 load data for it.

Assuming I didn't already have any of OP's calibers, what I used would depend on where and what type of deer. Mule deer out west from long distance would favor the .270 for its flat shooting. If you are in a gun store in Montana etc. you will see a metric shit ton of .270 ammo. Tighter quarters in the east? I'd favor .308. I probably shoot more .30-06 than anything due to regular participation in vintage matches like M1 Garand, 1903 Springfield, and Vintage Sniper, but IMHO that cartridge has more juice than you need for deer. I'd use the 6.5 ManBun for antelope, bighorn sheep, and/or mountain goats that all are typically shot at long distance in difficult wind conditions.

Those would be my preferences but honestly 6.5 CM for deer would do the job in any part of the country. I always see several options for 6.5 CM hunting ammo at Walmart too.

6.5 GT is for punching paper.

The question is overly vague. If the largest animal you're hunting is deer, any will be sufficient. But if you wanted a cartridge that was an all around North American cartridge for any game on the continent, 30-06 is the only answer of the cartridges you listed.

6 GT (for the memes)
30-06

Which one would you take Deer hunting?
Why?
Advantages and disadvantages?

Edit to add:
some people say "6.5cm is unethical for deer" - thoughts?
I’m over here wondering ….

If the 400ft/lb 308 advantage over 6.5 CM at the muzzle makes 6.5 CM unethical…

then does the 375 Raptor 400 Ft/lb advantage over 308 make the 308 unethical?
72A6638C-991F-4AB8-B821-A53D80FD3FC6.jpeg

Why not.

My next barrel chamber will most likely be a 6mm BRA for a lightweight hunting rifle. Ive got over a thousand pieces of brass that's been retired from duty that will be perfect for hunting loads.

If you recommend a 77gr 223 why wouldn't a GT works slinging a 80-115gr projectile?
For most - cost factor would be prohibitively high.

View attachment 759981
The .458 Lott would be more ethical-er.

1685929784545.jpeg

No clue if Jack Lott was a relative of Pixie Lot.

59910567-10985811-image-a-145_1657065805775.jpg

Umm.....where is .243 in this thing? Great deer caliber......and honestly my choice.

350 Legend? 450 BM?

If I'm in thick woods or tracking I'll take the 30-30, 35 Rem, 45-70, 44 mag levers with peep sight.

Lets face it if you reload.....and have a 30-06 bolt action. You can make any load you want from soft shooting for deer, to nearly .300 mag ballistics for Elk, Moose and Bear with todays powders.
You can probably do the same with .308, although i haven't researched the subject.

Like Derek said, know your caliber, distance and terrain limitations.

Killing a deer in New England is mostly a 30-30, 12 GA thing, as shots are mostly close.

View attachment 759981
Certainly more ethical than intentionally misrepresenting somebody else's position on the subject. People who are less kind would call that being a liar.

6.5 Creedmoor
6 GT (for the memes)
30-06

Which one would you take Deer hunting?
Why?
Advantages and disadvantages?

Edit to add:
some people say "6.5cm is unethical for deer" - thoughts?
I hunt deer with 30-06 and 6.5.

Much of this will be range- all my deer are 200 yards or less, at that range if you're making an unethical hit its you not the bullet.

My 6.5 is lighter, kicks less, not sure either is flatter at ranges I'm shooting. Both rounds seem to mushroom well, both pass through at my ranges, and neither seem to have issues with bone if encountered.

Not sure what more you'd really need to talk about, I'm not hunting big sky country so I'm not worried about long shots.

Certainly more ethical than intentionally misrepresenting somebody else's position on the subject. People who are less kind would call that being a liar.
Well, that post was a hyperbolic joke… kinda thought that was obvious.

But if you want to get butt hurt and call me a liar, I’ll just remind you that you think bullets kill with blunt force trauma, laugh, and disregard what you have to say.

Last edited:
Well, that post was a hyperbolic joke… kinda thought that was obvious.

But if you want to get but hurt and call me a liar, I’ll just remind you that you think bullets kill with blunt force trauma, laugh, and disregard what you have to say.
Maybe he's still living in the days of getting hit by a cannon ball

Back
Top Bottom