Let's see those target pictures - post 'em here

Heat 1 NES Independence Day Shoot...
shoot1.jpg

From Sunday

I was happy with these. 25 yds prone with my 10/22 with tech sights and then 50 yds with my AR 15 and my new Eotech. For me these are great.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN2005.jpg
    DSCN2005.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 290
  • DSCN2006.jpg
    DSCN2006.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
Here's a couple I shot with my JC Higgins .22

Its set up wearing a Weaver Classic 4x28 rimfire scope and a Rock Mount bipod.

DSC014142.JPG

These were shot using the bipod off a shooting bench. The bottom left of the first target and bottom right of the second target are the best of the day when I went last Monday.

298.jpg

1165.jpg

EDIT: these were shot at 25 yards.

Well, I've been pretty inconsistent with the Remington 700 so far, so I headed back to the 50Y for some experimentation to see why that might be... I know it isn't the rifle, I can put 2 shots nearly keyhole'd pretty consistently... But something happens to my form to a: move those shots off my point of aim, b: make position generally unreliable...

BUT, I think I found it on the last group... [smile]

First pic is 2 groups (3 on the left, 2 in the center):
target_07172009_1.jpg

Second is unfortunately a group of 4[thinking]:
target_07172009_2.jpg

Last is two separate very separate groups... The first near the center is an earlier group - not great...

The second is at the bottom (4 shots), I was intentionally shooting down there at the cross of the outer ring (reusing the target) with my final iteration of trigger position... Found it... This rifle likes the crease not the pad[wink] Next session on to the 100y with my new found knowledge.
target_07172009_final.jpg

For comparison, here are 2 10 shot groups at the same distance out of the 10/22 and these were at speed... less than one second per round... No careful breathing, just plink, plink, plink...
dad_target.jpg

looks good. gotta bring the ruger with some mini mags next we go, i know i can group better with High Velocity vs. STD Velocity (what I've been using).

-gonna bring the Ruger and AR next time. i'll bring a pistol [shocked]

[wink]

I'm more and more inclined to buy a Remington 700 every time I view this thread...

Guess its time to start saving for next summer.

looks good. gotta bring the ruger with some mini mags next we go, i know i can group better with High Velocity vs. STD Velocity (what I've been using).
I'm going to keep pushing rounds through the 700... I realized I haven't put many through it... Particularly compared to the 1000+ that have gone through the 10/22 [smile]

I should be as accurate with the 700 in a few more sessions... Then I'll start working on iron with the AR... Other than good groups at 200 then 300 with the 700, my other big goal for the summer is tight groups on iron at 100 with the AR...

I'm more and more inclined to buy a Remington 700 every time I view this thread...

If you get it in .308 replace the butt-pad or stock immediately... It will beat you up if you don't

I'm happy with the factory stock with a "Super Cell" pad so far - MUCH better than factory pad...

ChetD has a Savage .223 that fires like a 10/22[wink] He can tell you how he did it.. That's a nice gun too...

I went .308 in the hopes of eventually working up to longer ranges (beyond Harvard's 300)... 700's are nice guns, no doubt about it...

not to go off-topic,

but get a savage. cheaper and more accurate out of the box.

-don't get me wrong, i love my SPS Tactical, but it retails for $600+

you can get a Savage for $400 to $500 and use the extra $$ twoards a scope, base & rings.

as you can see, the .223 is good to 200 yards in regular ol' 55 gr. with a 1/9 twist barrel. i'm going to push it to 300 one of these days. -and trust me, i'm still a noob.

Thanks for the heads up about the Savages....sound like good rifles from what I hear. I also saw this recently:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/07/17/tc-venture-now-shipping-1-moa-for-less-than-500/

I have an intermediate cartridge gun, so I'd like to go with a .308 or similar. Unless ammo prices next summer convince me to go with .223.

Of course, I'd never be opposed with buying an old milsurp and seeing how I could do with that. I'd love to see what could be done with an Enfield or similar at 200/300 yards. It'd certainly be more attractive financially.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up about the Savages....sound like good rifles from what I hear. I also saw this recently:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/07/17/tc-venture-now-shipping-1-moa-for-less-than-500/

I have an intermediate cartridge gun, so I'd like to go with a .308 or similar. Unless ammo prices next summer convince me to go with .223.

Of course, I'd never be opposed with buying an old milsurp and seeing how I could do with that. I'd love to see what could be done with an Enfield or similar at 200/300 yards. It'd certainly be more attractive financially.

http://snipercentral.com/ - equipment reviews [smile]

yeah, standard sizes. kip had one where he nailed two shots in pretty much the same hole but he gave it away to some other dudes at the range and wished he kept it when we were shooting bad and then packing up. [laugh]

the glare was killing us today because we were at a part of the range that was uncovered and even with the sun shade on we were getting a crappy view of the target.

From yesterday, 20 shots at 100 yards on NRA standard 100 yard smallbore target. Dropped four points, two to a bad hold, two to wind. Shot with Anschutz 1411 prone rifle with irons sights, sling, and shooting coat for support.
DSC00590.jpg

A close up
DSC00592.jpg

The rifle
DSC00595.jpg

Also yesterday, ten shots at 100 yards with my .308 prone target rifle. I need to work on my elevation hold. The two shots at 2 o'clock are sighters after dialing down from my 600 yard zero.
DSC00589.jpg

A close up
DSC00593.jpg

The rifle
DSC00400.jpg

Back
Top Bottom