Let's see those target pictures - post 'em here

I shot this slow prone (20 rounds, no sighters) at a recent CMP match. 1903A3, Iron Sights, 100 yards on an MR-31 reduced target. The load is 46.0 4064 under a nosler 155cc. I knew it when I pulled that 7 and I also knew it when I pulled that 10ring at 2o'clock. This is going to be a hard personal record to beat.

Te0IWG4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Te0IWG4.jpg?1

You can beat it easy....just come over one click right [smile] nice shooting I can pull off some great groups with my A3 just can't seem to put them in the right ring! That MR target is a bugger

Last edited:
My first, and presumably last, MSR. WOA Varmint upper with 22" shileen barrel and Anderson lower.
Found paper with cheap Tula steel, dialed in the scope with cheap brass Fiochi 55grn, and then put ten in about 1moa at 100 yards (benchrest on sandbags.)

While not "timed rapid fire," no particular delay for barrel cooling was enforced... Just kinda point and plink.
Delays to clean my glasses or wipe the sweat off my brow, it was hot as balls that day, VERY humid but no wind to speak of.

attachment.php

Attachments

• New AR 1moa.jpg
    New AR 1moa.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 181
First load ever with 77gr tipped match kings over 23.5 Varget new lapua brass cci primers. I would normally call this a fluke but I did (3) 5 shot groups of the same size .15-.2 moa.

rifle is a savage 11 varmint 223 and a weaver t-36. 100 yards

image.jpg

mac1911, I know you from Pembroke CMP. I shot in the last Garand and vintage bolt match (with my A3). The rest of you guys were shooting the K31's. See you next time.

Little late on response....
I missed the August match baby sitter issues. I will also be stepping out on the Sept match.
I'm shooting Reading for a 600 yard prone on 9/3 Then back to Pembroke for Oct and Nov cmp.
Then I usually take Dec , Jan off

Sighted in the optic on my new DP-12 shotgun.

Started with slugs at 20 yards. After a couple adjustments, the last 8 rounds were on point-ish.
20160830_173017_zps4ni4slhg.jpg

Switched over to buckshot and even though the pattern seemed to be favoring low, it was centered on the point of aim. That's a photo of 4 rounds. I'll have to try some different ammo and see how it does.
20160830_173516_zpska25h0bp.jpg

Shot some slugs at 40 yards...
20160830_174232_zps02hvxdwz.jpg

Last edited:
Little late on response....
I missed the August match baby sitter issues. I will also be stepping out on the Sept match.
I'm shooting Reading for a 600 yard prone on 9/3 Then back to Pembroke for Oct and Nov cmp.
Then I usually take Dec , Jan off

Assuming I'm in good enough shape, hope to make the Oct Pembroke CMP. Here's what my Garand can do when I'm not screwing up the shots under pressure of competition [laugh]:

Memorial Day M1.jpg

First load ever with 77gr tipped match kings over 23.5 Varget new lapua brass cci primers. I would normally call this a fluke but I did (3) 5 shot groups of the same size .15-.2 moa.

rifle is a savage 11 varmint 223 and a weaver t-36. 100 yards

View attachment 175613

Very solid!

I'll have to give the 77s a try. The 68s run in the high .2s-low .3s from my model 10 predator hunter max.

Wow. I'm sure my Garand is capable of that accuracy....just not in my hands[laugh]
What distance? Ammo/reloads?

Thanks- 100 yards prone. SR-1 targets, which is the reduced version of the SR you would shoot in a match. Actually, I think the SR-1's are a little smaller than scale would dictate, and therefore a tiny amount more difficult. In other words, if you can only practice at 100 yards on a SR-1, the SR at 200 yards will not be more difficult. IMHO, of course. Also you can print SR-1's on a regular sheet of paper.

Yes, reloads- HXP or Lapua brass, 168 SMK's, Varget powder. Same load makes my '03 shoot like a laser. So when my scores dip it's totally my bad. Last time I shot it I did get a silver to Mac's gold, so there's hope. IIRC there was a very good turnout that day.

You reloading?

Nice shooting.. Hope to see you in October. It's been a dismal turn out this year.

I really hope I'm GTG by then. It's almost a 2 hour drive for me but a really fun match. Hope the turnout improves- last time I was there the rifle racks were virtually full of Garands and Springfields.

Last edited:
Thanks- 100 yards prone. SR-1 targets, which is the reduced version of the SR you would shoot in a match. Actually, I think the SR-1's are a little smaller than scale would dictate, and therefore a tiny amount more difficult. In other words, if you can only practice at 100 yards on a SR-1, the SR at 200 yards will not be more difficult. IMHO, of course. Also you can print SR-1's on a regular sheet of paper.

Yes, reloads- HXP or Lapua brass, 168 SMK's, Varget powder. Same load makes my '03 shoot like a laser. So when my scores dip it's totally my bad. Last time I shot it I did get a silver to Mac's gold, so there's hope. IIRC there was a very good turnout that day.

You reloading?

I really hope I'm GTG by then. It's almost a 2 hour drive for me but a really fun match. Hope the turnout improves- last time I was there the rifle racks were virtually full of Garands and Springfields.

The turn out is generally about 10-12 shooters at Pembroke. With a larger Turner out in the beginning of the schedule. If it's hot and humid 0-4 shooters are the norm.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. I'm sure my Garand is capable of that accuracy....just not in my hands[laugh]
What distance? Ammo/reloads?

Any decent match bullet tight sling and front sight focus should shoot 10 ring...... it's just getting the holes "IN" the 10 ring!

Andrew if you can bang that steel off hand with the M1 at a high percent hit rate you should score well. I know its a drive but in oct and nov theres 2 more matches at pembroke. maybe make the drive.... theres also sub mathes for vintage in OCT IIRC and service rifle in NOV... so you can shoot 2 times one with garand the other with 1903a3 and AR 15

Last edited:
The turn out is generally about 10-12 shooters at Pembroke. With a larger Turner out in the beginning of the schedule. If it's hot and humid 0-4 shooters are the norm.

- - - Updated - - -

Any decent match bullet tight sling and front sight focus should shoot 10 ring...... it's just getting the holes "IN" the 10 ring!

Andrew if you can bang that steel off hand with the M1 at a high percent hit rate you should score well. I know its a drive but in oct and nov theres 2 more matches at pembroke. maybe make the drive.... theres also sub mathes for vintage in OCT IIRC and service rifle in NOV... so you can shoot 2 times one with garand the other with 1903a3 and AR 15

I can bang the steel from a rest, not so much off hand lol. But I do need to practice more. I'm really going to try to make one of the CMP matches as I could use a bit more training/advice shooting these rifles offhand.

I can bang the steel from a rest, not so much off hand lol. But I do need to practice more. I'm really going to try to make one of the CMP matches as I could use a bit more training/advice shooting these rifles offhand.

hmmm, all this time I thught you where banging that hunk of steel off hand...... dont worry the 5 ring at 200 yards is pretty darn big! come on down

They can definitely coach you up for offhand. I was previously pretty bad but have had some decent offhand scores after getting help at Pembroke.

Did poorly with the AR today so went to my Old 513t.... always feels good shooting this.
I have been trying different ammo today I tried 3. 22lr 100 yards from the bench. 20 shots each target
Target sights are zeroed for another brand of ammo. I did not adjust the sights.
1. RWS 2lr Target Rifle 1080fps.... I wrote rifle match on target it is not.

2. Eley Target 1085 fps

3. SK Standard Plus 1073fps this has been shooting very well in this rifle and it's near the bottom of SKs pile of 22lr offerings.

Here you can see the change in POI with the different ammo

Last edited:
Recently picked up an M&P 9C here off of the forum. It only had a medium backstrap and for the life of me I kept shooting low.
so I found a small and large on the bay and when they arrived I hit it.
Started with the medium....still low. Put on the small.Hmm now a little hig. Put on the large..............center.
Greg Derr did the trigger for me,like night and day, it's funny the reset is not loud but when I'm shooting I can actually
feel it so it's OK. Really starting to like this gun alot. First target is 124 Aguila 2nd is 115 Blazer brass. I alternated as I changed back straps to rule out anything else going on.
32 feet at the outdoor in Sharon. Still have a long way to go but definitely getting better with each outing. [smile]
MampP%209C%209-1-2016%20aguila%20124_zpswlqtekrm.jpg

Shield%20Aguila%20124gr%208-30-2016_zpsnubbta2l.jpg

Back
Top Bottom