• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Let's see those target pictures - post 'em here

A little windy. A little rain and a 74 year old 22.
Been trying to find the best ammo for this old dog.
I tried some RWS special match today.
100 yards , loop sling from the bench. I have other ammo that does better.
This old rifle is fun to shoot and can get down into 1.5 moa when I'm shooting well and the lighting is nice.
I will scope this and put it on bags at some point and I think I can get into moa zone?
Still 10s are a good day for me no matter the platform.

My 513T loves CCI SV , when I benched it to sight it in at 200 it ended up 194-6X . That ammo outperformed all the other ones. I've got some if you want to try it out.

Have some about the same results as above when just using sling for support of the bench.
I can tighten up a bit shooting prone with sling.
From the bench off bags or a rest I'm sure I would get sub 2MOA.
So far the best from prone with sling is the recent SK standard plus and wolf match. I pulled a 200 9 x out of my ass at 200 yards few weeks ago and a handful of high 190s since I dragged the old dog out.
I'm going to try like hell to get to some of the 200 yard off hand shoots with this or I'm going to scope the daughter's rascal and use that . The daughters rascal can hold the black...when I can

Last edited:
My first go-around with a friend's 92FS a couple weeks ago.

15 rounds of 124 Grain Fiocchi 9mm

Indoors @ 15 yards

IMG_20161123_220431456.jpg

First couple were the Right side 8 Ring, then the left 8 ring once I realized I was a little off center and low still.

Made a grip adjustment and was was just right and slightly high in the 9 ring.

Compensated a little too much and ended up just left of the red on the 9 ring.

Got centered, but was low on round 6, right on the edge of the ring.

Everything else ended up right where it ought to be.

Need to spend more time with other people's handguns some time. Very different than my Glock 23.

Self built AR 6.5 Creedmoor, 100 yards, 140 grain Winchester factory ammo, 7 degrees [shocked] and windy:

IMG_0191.jpg

Above 5 shot group not smallest of the day but would have been if I didn't choke on the last shot. Average for the day was .533 MOA. I don't have dies for this yet but will be interesting to see what I can do with reloads.

Self built AR 6.5 Creedmoor, 100 yards, 140 grain Winchester factory ammo, 7 degrees [shocked] and windy:

View attachment 185705

Above 5 shot group not smallest of the day but would have been if I didn't choke on the last shot. Average for the day was .533 MOA. I don't have dies for this yet but will be interesting to see what I can do with reloads.

How do you like the 6.5C in a gas gun?

How do you like the 6.5C in a gas gun?

I like it...

Excepting some trouble with the first bolt I purchased from Brownells, it's been trouble free to run and easy to generate sub MOA accuracy. I'm not blazing away piles of ammo, but once I exchanged the bad bolt and installed a nice JP bolt, there has not even been the smallest of glitches. Shot some Hornady Superformance and saw some pretty big primer craters on the first bolt. No cratering with the JP high pressure bolt and the hot Hornady runs fine. Seems to like Winchester Match 140's best.

Recoil is quite mild, IMO, and I have a recently rebuilt shoulder that's still a little sensitive. Barrel is a heavy taper 20" Ballistic Advantage. First one I purchased from them and have been very pleased. I highly recommend them, but Ballistic Advantage has since been bought by Aero Precision and Queen Maura has been picking on Aero. Last I checked, neither Aero nor Ballistic Advantage will ship parts to the PRM, so a work-around would be necessary to get one of their barrels.

I need to reach out to a bigger range such as Granby for hopefully membership sometime so I can give the 6.5 some real work to do. I have a State Arms 50 BMG that needs some breathing room too. If there are any tactical F-Class matches in the region I'll check one of those out as well.

Nice day for the range today. Here's a couple guns I bought from fellow NESers:

Ruger Old Army .44 cal round ball, 30 gr Black Powder - 28 yards, 6 shots offhand
IMG_0192.jpg
This is a recent acquisition and a present from Mrs. Mountain. I heard they were accurate but damn!

Remington R1 45 ACP, Aguila 230 gr ball, 28 yards, 14 shots offhand
IMG_0193.jpg
I bought this for CMP as issued matches- should be GTG...

Last edited:
IMG_20161227_190931034.jpg

M&P15 in mid, top left is wasr10/63 with PA 1-6ACSS 100 yards

Nice day for the range today. Here's a couple guns I bought from fellow NESers:

Ruger Old Army .44 cal round ball, 30 gr Black Powder - 28 yards, 6 shots offhand
View attachment 186141
This is a recent acquisition and a present from Mrs. Mountain. I heard they were accurate but damn!

Remington R1 45 ACP, Aguila 230 gr ball, 28 yards, 14 shots offhand
View attachment 186142
I bought this for CMP as issued matches- should be GTG...
Nice, did you cast your own 44? I found my cast with the lee was way more accurate than the purchased hornady 44 from my 1861 New Army.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Nice, did you cast your own 44? I found my cast with the lee was way more accurate than the purchased hornady 44 from my 1861 New Army.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Not yet, but I sure as hell will! I'm just using purchased Hornady for now, but casting balls should be pretty easy. I have ~10 lbs of flashing ingots. I might look for a nice Lyman mold. Nice to hear the accuracy is better, but honestly the Old Army is already shooting better than I am.

Practicing coming up from the start position with my PCC (pistol caliber carbine) -stock touching belt, muzzle downrange, safety on. Aiming for the upper A zone (head), at 10 yards 2 shots in about 1.30

at 20 yards, 2 shots in about 1.50-1.60

at then at 30 yards, 2 shots in 1.70-2. Stock position in the shoulder and cheek weld become more critical on putting the dot on target quickly

old sears 25, 50 yards , lots of wind

Dug out a rifle I have not shot in 20 years.
Still as dirty as the day I put it away.
50 yards elbows on table she still runs as good as it ever did. Not the most refined rifle and the trigger is laughable. The wind was crazy
Target's
Top SK standard 10 shots
Middle eley target yellow box 10 shots
Bottom Aquilla super extra 20 shots

UU71Pml.jpg

Last edited:
Built up a 16" MOD Holland clone.
Put a leuplod 1.5-5x scope on it.
Finally got it out.
My 50 yard walk in to good nuff'..!
IMG_9814.jpg
These two at 100 yards.
IMG_9815.jpg

IMG_9812.jpg

And at 200yards.
IMG_9818.jpg
With ten round rapid to wrap up, at two hundred.
IMG_9819.jpg

It was all benched bipod for this trip. I hope to get a better day with a cross course yadayada yadayada..

Great to spend the day at work...with my rifle..

Attachments

• IMG_9816.jpg
    IMG_9816.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Now that I have repaired my Savage 110 BA Stealth in 338 Lapua, so that the scope rails no longer falls off from the factory and it holds zero

100 yards, 5 rounds, I'll take responsibility for the flier

attachment.php

338.jpg

Noticed the rail on my Stealth was loose from the factory too so I torqued it down before even mounting anything.

A simple torq did not fix my issue, by 30 rounds the scope rail was ready to fall off. This happened twice, then I took it to savage once to fix it once, all they did was put the same screw back in, complete idiots. 30 rounds later some thing.

4 Major issues

1st, the threads are not cut properly
2nd, bad threads destroying screws
3rd, only 2 threads of engagement on all screws
4th, scope rail screw depth cuts are wrong, the 1st to hole should be cut to allow for a min of 1st hole 4 threads, 2nd hole 5-6 threads, last 2 holes 6-7 threads

I replaced their crap scope rail for EGW (For round receiver, they have another model for Flat ) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used blue loctite and 20 inch lbs

A simple torq did not fix my issue, by 30 rounds the scope rail was ready to fall off. This happened twice, then I took it to savage once to fix it once, all they did was put the same screw back in, complete idiots. 30 rounds later some thing.

4 Major issues

1st, the threads are not cut properly
2nd, bad threads destroying screws
3rd, only 2 threads of engagement on all screws
4th, scope rail screw depth cuts are wrong, the 1st to hole should be cut to allow for a min of 1st hole 4 threads, 2nd hole 5-6 threads, last 2 holes 6-7 threads

I replaced their crap scope rail for EGW (For round receiver, they have another model for Flat ) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used blue loctite and 20 inch lbs

Thanks, I will keep an eye on that. I use Rocksett and torqued it but have yet to fire it.

ETA Yeah, mine isn't going anywhere: Just broke the tip of the torx bit off in the first screw head...

Last edited:
Got the rifle checked up and dialed in for a class I'm taking in a couple weeks. We likely won't be shooting past 25 yards, but I had some issues with it keyholing rounds last week when I first went to check it. I think I over-torqued the muzzle brake. I re-installed it with a variable timing crush washer, and today went flawless (except for that little guy. Don't worry about that little guy.)

17156225_1024341694377593_8744252327641310734_n.jpg

Fireforming 260 AI from 260 Rem @100yds, dot is 1". I think this rifle (Savage 110 I put together) has some potential - more than me, anyway. Top left includes some scope adjustment. Bottom left is the only weird one. That flyer was headed toward squib, had a noticeable difference in recoil and sound and left a trail of unburnt powder down the barrel. Couldn't see any obvious issues with that one, either.

260AI Fireforming.jpg

260AI_110_edit.jpg

Now that I've got brass, time to build some loads for it!

Prepare to be impressed, LOL...

AR7.jpg

AR7 from the just concluded NES group buy.

CCI SV 40 gr ammo
Iron (plastic) sights
25 yards, bench rest
wind 10 mph gusting to 15 mph
barometric pressure... ha ha just kidding.

Fun little rifle, seems to be minute of rabbit or squirrel at 25 yards. Actually it seemed to shoot a little better when I picked it up and shot offhand. I could hit chunks of wood about the size of a 20 ga shell. Maybe resting the polymer / metal insert barrel isn't a good idea. Seems to be very well built for its purpose. I'd prefer the trigger to be a little better- maybe it will break in a little. Overall, glad I bought it. Will make a nice toss in the truck or canoe gun.

Back
Top Bottom