Let's see those target pictures - post 'em here

4717b9115f01d57e4b27255923003360.jpg
74e841c4c99ce9f2563c14656209f1a5.jpg

5.56 55gr fmj at 100yards.
M&P15 with a Nikon P233 3x9-40

Trying to figure out why I am so inconsistent.

4717b9115f01d57e4b27255923003360.jpg
74e841c4c99ce9f2563c14656209f1a5.jpg

OK marksmanship skills not known, few things.
What mount or rings?
How tight are your mounts and scope rings....or I should say how "not tight" over tightening can be as bad as loose.
Ammo--- don't mix brands try to buy as much as the same Lot# as possible.
5.56 m193/855 accept it for what it is. Hits on target ammo....not hits in the X ring ammo.

Try a less busy target... a simple SR 1 100 yard target works well.

You didn't say specifically what 55g FMJ you were shooting
Are the squares on the target 1" ?
If so, I wouldn't expect anything better than 3 MOA out of any bulk ammo.

Magtech.

Yes, 1" squares.

I realize the rifle isn't by any stretch a match grade firearm. Just no reference as to how good/bad I'm doing vs what the limitations of the equipment are.

Scope is mounted with the P series double mounts.

Magtech.

Yes, 1" squares.

I realize the rifle isn't by any stretch a match grade firearm. Just no reference as to how good/bad I'm doing vs what the limitations of the equipment are.

Scope is mounted with the P series double mounts.

The upside is, most of those groups are 3-5 MOA. That's on the large side for a good AR with ball ammo, but far from minute-of-mattress/berm.
You'll know better than we will how well tightened down the nut behind the rifle is, but that's always where I suggest starting :p

How tight a group were you expecting, given what you know of your shooting?

I don't think I have ever posted a target pic before, but I was pretty happy with this one. Had the whole range to myself for almost 2 hours yesterday afternoon. This was my best group of the day. I wish every group was this good. [grin]

S&W M29 - 6-1/2" barrel - 44 magnum - off hand -50 feet indoors. Six rounds. If you look closely, you can pick out where two rounds went through almost the same hole.

44 MAG.jpg

I struggled mightily at my first AppleSeed last month so I bought a new sling and have practiced a little.

3712b19cdf743e0676bd801d9de6144b.jpg

Moar practice is needed but I shouldn't have trouble with that rifleman badge next time. I never got comfortable sitting but I still hit my targets, perhaps I will spend some time working on that too. All good stuff that I don't normally work on in a typical range trip.

image.jpg Four shot group at 100 yards prone off a bipod with a new-to-me savage 10t in 308 I picked up from a fellow NES'er. Load was federal gold medal match 168gr BTHP. The picture loaded a little skewed as the group is actually to the right of the bullseye d/t a 5-10mph left to right wind at full value. Very happy with this group for sure

Bought a Ruger AR556 a couple months ago and finally took it to the range last week. I put ten rounds of 5.56 through it from a bench rest to make sure the sights weren't jacked up and then ran 20 rounds through it. This was standing, unsupported. It's a only 50 feet and at an indoor range, but I'm still pretty pleased for the first 30 rounds through a brand new gun that's my first centerfire rifle. Now to spend hours at the range making "pretty good" into actual tight groupings at greater distance.

Averaging .62 MOA for 5 shot groups at 200yd with my Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 CM. Not particularly happy with this...new unprepped brass in a relatively new rifle, but was still hoping to be in the .4s.

142gr SMK @ 2760 FPS

200yd creed 3.jpg

Averaging .62 MOA for 5 shot groups at 200yd with my Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 CM. Not particularly happy with this...new unprepped brass in a relatively new rifle, but was still hoping to be in the .4s.

142gr SMK @ 2760 FPS

View attachment 170580

Ahh you poor kid no .4 groups[smile] nice......I will have to be happy with this for recent shooting.
513t target sights off the bench with bony elbows and rushed to get back to work on time. 30 shots in about 16-18min.
More of a ammo test. Looking for decent ammo to play with at 200 yards but trying to keep that ammo price at less than 15 cents per round.
Below 25 yards 10 shots shot round robin. LEFT Aquila super extra CENTER Centerion Target RIGHT SK Standard Plus.
Not the best but good enough to see a difference.

I don't need much more accuracy I will be shooting off hand and prone on a SR target so under 3 MOA is 10 ring all day. If I can put them there.

Last edited:
I know nothing about shot guns but am learning as my son and I will be entering the 3gun world. I don't believe the barrel is rifled. One of the shots is mine ,the other is my son's who is 15. I've shot slugs before, he hasn't but neither of us have shot one out to a 100. All of his shot gun experience has been shooting pumpkins! He wasn't thrilled with the recoil even with the "reduced recoil" one ounce slugs from Remington.
Slugs from a shotgun SUCK! You learned that much. Im not a recoil pansy at all and hate shooting slugs. They are no fun at all for me.....the only time I spend at the range that is "work" is checking the zero on the deer hunting shotguns. Definately no fun. By the way what club is doing slugs for 3 gun? Most ive seen are target loads to knock over the steel plates or clays on hangers.

Finished my AR-308 in 6.5 Creedmoor last Friday night. After a little troubleshooting and a new bolt install (old one binding), it's running like a champ and delivering good accuracy with factory ammo.

6.5 CM Win Match.jpg

20" Ballistic Advantage barrel doing its job with Hornady 140 gr match & magazine loaded for the center group, 140 gr Win Match & single loaded for the one-hole 5-shot group to the upper left.

Finished my AR-308 in 6.5 Creedmoor last Friday night. After a little troubleshooting and a new bolt install (old one binding), it's running like a champ and delivering good accuracy with factory ammo.

View attachment 171068

20" Ballistic Advantage barrel doing its job with Hornady 140 gr match & magazine loaded for the center group, 140 gr Win Match & single loaded for the one-hole 5-shot group to the upper left.

Nice shooting!

I just went and tested some 69SMK reloads with varget at the 100 yard range, this is my best one:

3dC376C.jpg

Wish that last one would have gone where I wanted... gotta load up some more and get back to practicing.

Nice shooting!

I just went and tested some 69SMK reloads with varget at the 100 yard range, this is my best one:

3dC376C.jpg

Wish that last one would have gone where I wanted... gotta load up some more and get back to practicing.

There ya go! .877 - .224 = .653" group with a flyer. Next time I bet you get 1/2 MOA or below. I really like 69 SMK's and Varget but use Varget for my Garand match loads now and prefer Benchmark for .223. Simple reason I use Benchmark: easier to meter the small charges accurately. Last shots tend to get rushed or subject to the jitters when you have a nice group like that. Take a couple deep breaths and make sure your trigger hand & finger are relaxed.

Nice shooting!

3dC376C.jpg

Nice off to a good start with those. sierras are nice and I swear you could get good groups with just about any powder

I played around Friday with the 513t at 100 yards. I just completely douched the barrel ao I hope as it "fouls a bit I can tighten this up. Par for me basically im happy with sub 3 moa with irons but this is typical of me....called the 2 pulls.
Something I have been getting better at is calling shots. Went from random luck if I actually call a shot correctly to about 75% correct calls.
the 513 after 20 rounds to rezero and foul the barrel a bit

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 171068

Don't know what im doing wrong but I cant get your pics to down load to my computer to play with the target data thing.

I need to get some loads loaded up for the varmint AR and the new scope. I had some nice groups with those throw together 60 grain loads and shot a nice 2.3" 5 shot group at 200 yards with the Nosler 77s per francos measurement. I couldn't wait to go down range and retrieve my target. I definitely think I have a 1/2 moa set up with the heavy varmint AR and the new scope just need time to really dial in a load.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom