Leaving the store with a new firearm.

Weird question. I just got my LTC unrestricted. I purchased two handguns. Got the good old 3 day hold period. My question is. When I go to pick these up. Can I walk out with them in the boxes in my trunk or do I need to put them in a locked container before I leave?

Weird question. I just got my LTC unrestricted. I purchased two handguns. Got the good old 3 day hold period. My question is. When I go to pick these up. Can I walk out with them in the boxes in my trunk or do I need to put them in a locked container before I leave?

Not everyone gets a delay, if it continues look into a Federal UPIN (different from the state pin)

As for transporting the firearms, yes, you can put them directly in your trunk and not worry about it.

If they're new, they should come with a cable or trigger lock. I wrapped the cable lock tightly around the handle of the case and locked it. If it can't be opened, you should be GTG. I would be careful about casually looping the cable around the case, though. Just my opinion.

Edit: this is because I have an SUV, so no trunk...

IF they are under your direct control you can walk out of the store with them in a bag.It just makes it easy in case I want to make a stop along the way.Throw them in a locked case in the trunk.

I usually lock it in a lock box since I drive a truck and don't have a trunk. When picking up more than one at a time then I've put them in a duffle bag and locked the zipper pulls.

I bought a used gun at an LGS recently. The kid working at the shop made me purchase a $9.00 cable lock because the PO must have held onto the original one. Between the pistol and the ammo I was purchasing my total sale was around $400.00 . At any rate I thought it was strange that I'd have to buy a lock when I was just going to stick in pocket anyways. (BG .380) They said it was the law and the lock was cheap enough so I didn't make a fuss..

I bought a used gun at an LGS recently. The kid working at the shop made me purchase a $9.00 cable lock because the PO must have held onto the original one. Between the pistol and the ammo I was purchasing my total sale was around $400.00 . At any rate I thought it was strange that I'd have to buy a lock when I was just going to stick in pocket anyways. (BG .380) They said it was the law and the lock was cheap enough so I didn't make a fuss..

What shop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the locked glove box is anyone's guess. Some say no, some yes. I think there was a court case a few years ago that was undecided?

That's kinda BS. I have NEVER bought a gun at a store where they didn't give me the cable lock at no charge. the damn things are free at almost any police station.

What store was it?

Last edited:
What shop?

FS in woburn.. I didn't exactly get the feeling they were interested in my repeat business. I had called ahead looking for a non laser BG, they said yeah we have em, come on up. When I got there all they had were laser models. It's quite a price jump and I really didn't want to drop that kind of money on something I consider gimicky and would never depend on (laser). I was looking at the laser model contemplating when I noticed a used one for under $300. It was at the moment the salesman's attitude took a noticeable change. Maybe he makes more money on new gun sales ? At any rate, I was happy to get the gun at a decent price, but definitely felt liked I'd been nickel & dimed a bit. It was kinda strange, other customers watched it go down and stopped me on my way out to ask me if they really just made me buy a lock. I now an extra trigger lock in my glovebox should I ever run into this situation again.

FS in woburn.. I didn't exactly get the feeling they were interested in my repeat business. I had called ahead looking for a non laser BG, they said yeah we have em, come on up. When I got there all they had were laser models. It's quite a price jump and I really didn't want to drop that kind of money on something I consider gimicky and would never depend on (laser). I was looking at the laser model contemplating when I noticed a used one for under $300. It was at the moment the salesman's attitude took a noticeable change. Maybe he makes more money on new gun sales ? At any rate, I was happy to get the gun at a decent price, but definitely felt liked I'd been nickel & dimed a bit. It was kinda strange, other customers watched it go down and stopped me on my way out to ask me if they really just made me buy a lock. I now an extra trigger lock in my glovebox should I ever run into this situation again.

Triggerlock or cable lock? You've mentioned both.

If it was a triggerlock, and they made you buy it to leave the store, I would call Carl and bitch about it. A triggerlock does not cover you as a locked firearm for transport.

If a dealer FORCED me to buy a trigger lock for a gun I was purchasing from them, I'd probably walk out empty handed.

-Matt

State law requires every gun sold in the state to include a safety device. Making you buy a lock is at best a chicken$^!+ move, and depending upon how one interprets the letter of the law may be illegal.

If a dealer FORCED me to buy a trigger lock for a gun I was purchasing from them, I'd probably walk out empty handed.
This

Believe me Matt, I wanted to, but already had a chit load of time invested. Ever been up there on a Saturday? I was pot committed so to speak.

- - - Updated - - -

Triggerlock or cable lock? You've mentioned both.

If it was a triggerlock, and they made you buy it to leave the store, I would call Carl and bitch about it. A triggerlock does not cover you as a locked firearm for transport.

Cable lock

Last edited:
For all the MA Gun Law ex-spurts out there!

M.G.L. chapter 140, section 131K requires that any firearm or large capacity weapon sold within the Commonwealth must be sold with a safety device designed to prevent the discharge of such weapon by unauthorized users.

From Glidden's book on C. 140 S. 131K:

Dealer to Supply Locks: This section requires that a state approved trigger lock be provided on certain guns that are sold. The Executive Office of Public Safety has determined that this means the dealer has the responsibility to supply the trigger lock (and charge the appropriate fee), and that the buyer may not supply his own trigger lock to circumvent this statute.

I'm not about to defend that law, merely stating that the law indeed specifies that the Dealer sell you a trigger/cable lock with each handgun or large capacity gun, and you can't supply your own.

FS tried to pull that BS on me too, I told him I was carrying it in my pants, he said didn't matter, I said my LTC says it does. He backed down. Things were getting quite hostile there for a couple of minutes.

This was on a private transfer and the guy had used his "allotment" for the year hence involving FS. I had eyeballed Carl when I walked in, told him what I was doing and he told there would be no charge (I did a favor for him previously) and I KNOW the counter guy heard him, when it got time to finish the transaction the guy says $50. bucks! I looked him in the eye and said you just heard Carl did you not? He looks over at Carl and he mouths "NC", that's when he tried the cable lock BS. I have not been back since (couple or three years ago)

It's too bad that he has some arseholes working for him. and to think that I was going to ask him what his NES name was!

Which both defies logic and is completely circumventable. Bring your own device. Sell it to the store for 1c. Buy it from the store with your purchase for 1c. Tell Glidden to go eff himself.

Stupid law, moronic interpretation. No one says it has to be a NEW trigger lock. Of course I can supply my own lock; I just have to go through a quick fiction and any interpretation of the law is covered.

For all the MA Gun Law ex-spurts out there!

From Glidden's book on C. 140 S. 131K:

I'm not about to defend that law, merely stating that the law indeed specifies that the Dealer sell you a trigger/cable lock with each handgun or large capacity gun, and you can't supply your own.

I bought a used handgun from FS before the end of the year. It didn't have a lock with it so the guy told me to get one from the shelf. I didn't get charged for it.

Back
Top Bottom