Leaving the store with a new firearm.

Which both defies logic and is completely circumventable. Bring your own device. Sell it to the store for 1c. Buy it from the store with your purchase for 1c. Tell Glidden to go eff himself.

Stupid law, moronic interpretation. No one says it has to be a NEW trigger lock. Of course I can supply my own lock; I just have to go through a quick fiction and any interpretation of the law is covered.

Is cash required? How about I pay you for that lock with this lock.

Which both defies logic and is completely circumventable. Bring your own device. Sell it to the store for 1c. Buy it from the store with your purchase for 1c. Tell Glidden to go eff himself.

Stupid law, moronic interpretation. No one says it has to be a NEW trigger lock. Of course I can supply my own lock; I just have to go through a quick fiction and any interpretation of the law is covered.

Might work, might not.

Not defending Glidden, but the wording in the MGL is what mandates that dealers SELL you a lock every time. This wasn't his invention.

Not clear on the "might not" logic. I sell my used trigger lock to the shop for 1c. They then sell it to me for 1c to satisfy the law. Yes they are selling it. I understand the words in the law and we are abiding by them. That is why it is a "joke" that you can't supply your own since you can always sell your own to the store and have the store sell it to you.

Might work, might not.

Not defending Glidden, but the wording in the MGL is what mandates that dealers SELL you a lock every time. This wasn't his invention.

I think there is a by law that says you need to do a tactical roll as you approach your car and remotely open the trunk.... but I could be mistaken. I will defer to Len S on this one.

LOL!

Let's just say that I've never had to pay for a gun lock when buying a gun. I think that the best way around this is having a decent relationship with a few dealers. I recall one offering to give me a trigger lock and just asked that I return it next time I was there. I think that I returned it right after I went to my car!

If you ever met/talked with those responsible for that horrendous 1998 gun law, you'd understand better that anything they could do to screw gun owners was what they did!

- - - Updated - - -

Not clear on the "might not" logic. I sell my used trigger lock to the shop for 1c. They then sell it to me for 1c to satisfy the law. Yes they are selling it. I understand the words in the law and we are abiding by them. That is why it is a "joke" that you can't supply your own since you can always sell your own to the store and have the store sell it to you.

I've heard of a few shops that wouldn't do it . . . it was an added profit item for them. But see my response above.

The only time I've seen anyone forced to buy a trigger lock was at AFS in North attleboro. Picking up an over and under trap gun no less. I think they pull this crap on used guns and transfers from out of state FFLs because they can. It was from CDNN. Don't all new guns have them in the package?

Last edited:
The only time I've seen anyone forced to buy a trigger lock was at ARS in North attleboro. Picking up an over and under trap gun no less. I think they pull this crap on used guns and transfers from out of state FFLs because they can. It was from CDNN. Don't all new guns have them in the package?
I can't recall the last time a new gun didn't come with one.

If you like your local gun shop, ask if they want your unopened unused trigger locks, it'll save them a couple bucks and they'll remember you

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Trunk = locked container
Here we go again... READ the law : MGL c. 140 § 131 (L)(a). A car is not a "Secure Locked Container" and that was reaffirmed in 2014 with the case of Commonwealth v. Amaury Reyes, 464 Mass. 245 (2013). THe best advice I see in this thread is to stick the guns in your belt (or your pocket) where they are UNDER YOUR DIRECT CONTROL. If the FFL provides you with a lock as required by law then lock the case or render the forearm unusable with the lock before you put it in your trunk as required by MGL c.140

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the rule of thumb, is to walk out one in each hand, exhibiting sketchy trigger discipline, holding them sideways. I could be wrong though. Oh wait Massachusetts, you need to bring your safe from home in to the shop for inspection, then transport the new guns in it all the way home. Since your new, you should also know that there is a three week waiting period between initial possession, and time at range. After three weeks has past, and your sure that you did not get some of those self loading, self shooting guns, then you can take them out to the range, but you can't drive through a school zone on the way to the first range trip either. Unless you live in an odd numbered house, then it gets weird. The odd numbered house rule states, that new gun owners in odd numbered houses, must first eat three large pizzas, and consume one complete two liter of moxie (yes you can still get these preban, and yes these taste better, if you need one I know a guy), then once in compliance with the above stated rules, you may then transport and use you new guns. Good luck! If your still reading this, and need the mgl # maybe those guns should stay at the shop.

Here we go again... READ the law : MGL c. 140 § 131 (L)(a). A car is not a "Secure Locked Container" and that was reaffirmed in 2014 with the case of Commonwealth v. Amaury Reyes, 464 Mass. 245 (2013). THe best advice I see in this thread is to stick the guns in your belt (or your pocket) where they are UNDER YOUR DIRECT CONTROL. If the FFL provides you with a lock as required by law then lock the case or render the forearm unusable with the lock before you put it in your trunk as required by MGL c.140

Isn't that a case of storage, vs. transporting?

I am new here and am trying to understand this 3 day waiting period. I just got my LTC unrestricted and was under the impression the last few months were my waiting period and that I could walk into my local gun shop pay for my purchase and walk out with it. I also thought it was my responsibility to make certain I had a proper way to lock said purchase up when I got home and didn't need to purchase extra locks for transportation? Am I wrong? Also my truck has a console that locks cant I put my purchase in there, I assumed since it was locked it would be ok?

I am new here and am trying to understand this 3 day waiting period. I just got my LTC unrestricted and was under the impression the last few months were my waiting period and that I could walk into my local gun shop pay for my purchase and walk out with it. I also thought it was my responsibility to make certain I had a proper way to lock said purchase up when I got home and didn't need to purchase extra locks for transportation? Am I wrong? Also my truck has a console that locks cant I put my purchase in there, I assumed since it was locked it would be ok?

1.) 3 day is a delay. Some get it some don't. I have never had a delay during the 5 years I have had my LTC. Buddy of mine has had one each time he purchases a firearm and the reason he gives me is because he is military. (Not sure if that's the case)

2.) Most new gun purchases come with a lock so if you want to follow the law wrap that lock around the case for transport. If it's not in direct control it needs to be locked up.

3.) Trucks are tricky because like you said they don't have a trunk. Just lock it up as I said on question 2 and throw it in the back of your cab and out of clear view.

SO if I drove to a shop 2 hours away and made a purchase then they could delay me in which case I would have to make the trek back again, guess this just prompted me to buy local.

As I mentioned the center console in my truck has a lock on it, so I assume it would be safe to say it is ok to lock it in there for transportation if I didn't want to have it in my pocket.

SO if I drove to a shop 2 hours away and made a purchase then they could delay me in which case I would have to make the trek back again, guess this just prompted me to buy local.

As I mentioned the center console in my truck has a lock on it, so I assume it would be safe to say it is ok to lock it in there for transportation if I didn't want to have it in my pocket.

that is correct you could drive all that time and get a delay. Someone was complaining of that when I bought mine. If I wasn't 15 mins away I would be complaining too.

They being the ATF/FBI through the NICS system, NOT the shop selling you the firearm.

Unfortunately, there's no indication of if you'll be delayed until it happens, consistently.

The case spt_1955 referenced mentioned that a glove box isn't adequate for storage either. http://masscases.com/cases/sjc/464/464mass245.html

However, spt_1955's case was indeed about storage, not transportation, as someone else mentioned. Having the firearm outside of the passenger compartment or having it locked in a case, meets the requirement for transportation.

so what I am reading here, if I make said purchase, go out to my truck and put it inside the center console, lock it and proceed to drive home I am in some violation? just makes no sense, I wasn't storing it there only using the console to transport it home and I would be in the truck the entire time.

Not sure what point you are trying to make.

Above law is for storage not transport and does not include your quote that a car is not a "Secure Locked Container" ...

Transport laws specifically says a trunk is a locked container:

c) No person possessing a large capacity rifle or shotgun under a Class A or Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $5,000.

Also, if a handgun is in a locked container, ie trunk, a trigger lock is not required.

so what I am reading here, if I make said purchase, go out to my truck and put it inside the center console, lock it and proceed to drive home I am in some violation? just makes no sense, I wasn't storing it there only using the console to transport it home and I would be in the truck the entire time.

Your center console is not a form of proper storage by itself. If you lock the case with the supplied cable lock then place it in the center console then lock that you are free and clear. Got to love MA laws [thinking]

im not trying to stir the pot but if my permanently mounted center console which has a keyed lock isn't enough what makes them think the plastic box the gun came in is any better? Now I am starting to see why so many people are peeved with Ma laws!

If I read this correctly it appears I can do exactly what I was planning to do as my center console is a secured container once locked with the key provided.

A: A person with a Class "A" LTC may transport a handgun loaded or unloaded on his person or under his direct control in the vehicle. If the handgun is not under his direct control, it must be unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container.

Last edited:
im not trying to stir the pot but if my permanently mounted center console which has a keyed lock isn't enough what makes them think the plastic box the gun came in is any better? Now I am starting to see why so many people are peeved with Ma laws!

Hey man, you're preaching to the choir. All we can do is try and decipher the laws then attempt to follow them or you can't pass go and collect $200.

ok, so going by ma laws, cable lock it, place it in the case, lock that then put it in the console lock...or just shove it in my pocket. Oh boy, the laws are as bad in ma for a business owner as they are for an LTC.

ok, so going by ma laws, cable lock it, place it in the case, lock that then put it in the console lock...or just shove it in my pocket. Oh boy, the laws are as bad in ma for a business owner as they are for an LTC.

Got to love this shithole state. If it wasn't for the wife having family here we would be in NH in a heartbeat.

That would be the FEDS delaying you, not the LGS.

understood, at first I had assumed that since I went thought the long wait had my background check and got approved for a unrestricted LTC that I would be able to take home my purchase immediately, not that a few more days of waiting will kill me.

understood, at first I had assumed that since I went thought the long wait had my background check and got approved for a unrestricted LTC that I would be able to take home my purchase immediately, not that a few more days of waiting will kill me.

It's very likely that you will be able to take it home that day. Unfortunately, you won't know until you actually go to purchase one.

LOL I bought a used pistol about a year ago and they gave me a brown bag. I gave it back to them, put the pistol behind my belt on my back and walked out of the store.

Gotta love free states... I jsut cant believe that you have to figure out how the best way to get to ypur car with a new pistol lol... shakes head. mass will always think of something to discourage sales huh?

Back
Top Bottom