Leaving the store with a new firearm.

No offense intended, but whether or not there was an oversight when they wrote the law is irrelevant. It is still a fact that there is no specific law governing the transport of an unloaded handgun by the holder of an LTC-A. Don is correct.

The topic of this entire thread (and the point Don made) is transport. Storage is not transport.

I once again have to disagree, the purpose of this thread is the OP wanted to know how to transport the handguns. He didn't want the academic mental gymnastics of the Mass law. Like Len 2a said, Don's reply is dangerous and could get a new LTC holder in a lot of trouble.

Also, read 131(L).

I once again have to disagree, the purpose of this thread is the OP wanted to know how to transport the handguns. He didn't want the academic mental gymnastics of the Mass law. Like Len 2a said, Don's reply is dangerous and could get a new LTC holder in a lot of trouble.

Also, read 131(L).
I give up. Pretend that the law is anything you want it to be. Creativity is a wonderful thing. Enjoy it and do as you please.

The above angels-on-pins garbage is why I invented "Massprudence" [puke]

A while back, there was a link to a news story about someone being arrested for "possession of illegal ammunition". [rolleyes]

Best bet....don't get pulled over!

Indeed!! If you have a public defender you will likely be convicted in a MA court, I've seen how they operate up close and personal and saved a man from a state prison sentence on totally bogus charges (that was the statement that his public defender and the PI told me after the fact)!

If you have $20-40K to pay a real good firearms attorney to represent you, you may get off, but you still have a stiff legal bill to pay and an arrest record for life. Good luck with that!!

Here's what MisterHappy referred to (attachment).

Attachments

• MSP - 2013 - Illegal Ammo FB Post.pdf
    84.6 KB · Views: 20
Also, I learned during my years as a police officer that perps do things that bring attention to themselves and this is how they get caught most frequently.

I've posted here many times that if you are ever pulled over, do NOT reach for anything as officers are trained to look for furtive movements, so reaching for your DL, registration, etc. before an officer gets to the car leads to more scrutiny. Reading the referenced article, they were ditching the guns under the seat, the driver was acting nervously which leads an officer to look more carefully (not necessary here with an open bottle in the car) and ask more questions.

No sympathy for these morons.

Also, read 131(L).

I made a very clear distinction between what the law says (there is no restriction on the transport of an unloaded handgun) and what is advisable. I did not advise the OP to transport his new handgun in a way that would put him at risk. He said he had a "locked trunk". That is all he needs. No locking container necessary provided he puts them in the trunk.

Best bet....don't get pulled over!

We all agree on this. Years ago I drove a electric blue Subaru STi. It was a great car. But it was incredible how it stuck out. Friends would come up to me and say "Hey, I saw you go by the otehr day. I waved, did you see me?".

It happened almost daily. It was pretty shocking how much I stood out since my previous car had been a navy blue ford taurus company car. Which was invisible.

After the Subaru I intentionally went back to "invisible". I drive a silver Volvo sedan. If I'm out after 10, I'm usually drinking, which usually means I'm taking an Uber. If I'm driving, its not late and my BAC is 0.00. Like someone else says. Don't do stupid things in stupid places with stupid people. If you follow that advice, you can pretty much guarantee that professional encounters with LEOs will be rare and (worst case) uneventful.

One great thing about this car is the trunk. If I lock the glove box, it disables the electric trunk release. The seat fold mechanism is in the trunk. So by locking the glove box, the trunk is secured. The only way to open it is to crowbar it open.

Don

Last edited:
I made a very clear distinction between what the law says (there is no restriction on the transport of an unloaded handgun) and what is advisable. I did not advise the OP to transport his new handgun in a way that would put him at risk. He said he had a "locked trunk". That is all he needs. No locking container necessary provided he puts them in the trunk.

So you are 100% certain that 131(L) does not apply in a motor vehicle:"It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place... "

This section is absolute and does not further define store, keep, or transport. You are making nothing more than an assumption that because 131(C) does not address :LTC-A and unloaded handguns not under your control, that no other section of law should apply. Your interpretation is a big stretch, not supported by the State Police, EOPS, Chief Ron Glidden (who wrote the book on Mass Firearms law), GOAL, any firearms instructor I know, any local organized group such as IDPA or USPSA.

Back
Top Bottom