Leave guns to the professionals - Letter in local paper

Three years before the $150k year herr Britt was investigated, and subsequently cleared by IA, of payroll discrepancies, specifically the overlap of duty and detail time.

Yeah. Well, that sounds like a pretty good deal. But I think I may have a better one. How about, I give you the finger....

Britt...Sh*t... coincidence? I think not.

Having been in a home invasion, complete with fire fight, the author is full of shit. Had I not been armed, had I not been willing to protect my family, I am convinced that my wife, my son and myself would be dead. Shots were fired. He missed, I didn't. Threat terminated. I will never surrender my firearms.

Holy shit dude... I'm sorry you had to experience that. But having it forced upon you I'm glad you and family came out on top.

The premise of his article is that you should call the police who are trained and will do a better job than you, yet leads with an anecdote about his own miserable failure in a gunfight. Yes, persuasive argument indeed.

One thing I can't stand is antigun people whose argument against the practicality of guns revolves around fictional scenarios where LITERALLY everything goes wrong for you. It's a massive failure of reason ability and consideration of the way people actually behave.
The lack of logic in the letter is appalling but completely expected.

Awful grammar, poor writing, stupid argument. So supposedly you were being shot at by guys with machine guns, got scared, panicked, and started pulling on the trigger uncontrollably. Conclusion: no one but yourself should have a gun to protect themselves against someone shooting at them in the future. Makes a ton of sense.....

So he choked in a firefight.
And by virtue of his being a superior being ( In his mind) , no mere mortal could do better.
What a pompous condecending A-hole.
There are things I could add but decided to delete.
Suffice to say if he thinks what BPD calls training is the pinnacle of anything he needs to get out more often.

I don't know who's worse: the author of that article or the kids being interviewed here
https://youtu.be/SnRPx0inV1s

Those responses are mind-numbing, especially the Black kid at 0:37. He says he knows people who carry guns illegally, so therefore, legal concealed carry needs to be banned to "even the playing field". Then there's that smug hipster f***** in the purple who says "look at Australia, great country".

Ahhhhhh yes, good old Joe Britt.
He is an absolute buffoon. His commute from Boston to Sharon in the old days brought him thru my town (Canton) every night, so needless to say, I ran into him often on midnight shifts. I wont go into much detail, but the night (morning actually) he was stopped by my current deputy chief and academy mate and made the mistake of calling her "honey" was absolutely legendary. He is as moronic as that letter, for what its worth (but Im pretty sure you guys already knew that).

Ahhhhhh yes, good old Joe Britt.
He is an absolute buffoon. His commute from Boston to Sharon in the old days brought him thru my town (Canton) every night, so needless to say, I ran into him often on midnight shifts. I wont go into much detail, but the night (morning actually) he was stopped by my current deputy chief and academy mate and made the mistake of calling her "honey" was absolutely legendary. He is as moronic as that letter, for what its worth (but Im pretty sure you guys already knew that).

We would all love to hear the details.

But let me guess:

1) Speeding - expecting a professional courtesy
2) With a few in him - again, expecting a professional courtesy
3) Lippy (Do you know who I am?) if pulled over.

How'd I do? ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

All cops are nothing but a target shooters until they have been in their first gunfight.

Does anyone know if BPD does force on force training for regular cadets? i.e. Simunitions?

"Leave shooting criminals to the professionals"...

...says the guy that dry fires at people shooting at him.

Right.

i get that an actual fire-fight can be stressful, and i've never been in one, but i hope i could count to 6 and reload. i guess sgt. whats-his-name wasn't as well trained as he thought. shoulda stayed on a few more years and he could've carried a standard cap glock (high-cap to those of us in mass)

You can't count in a firefight, most likely. You also experience auditory exclusion. So this is not as unlikely as you might imagine. But you would notice the lack of recoil. In all honesty, I had never thought of this kind of human failure. Mainly because I've never taken any courses or done any by myself defensive training with a revolver. There must be a way to manage this.

Don

p.s. One of my cop friends was on a regional SWAT team. One day we were talking about the mental and emotional difference between kicking in a door and arresting someone and walking along minding your own business and being attacked. His point to me was that it was much much easier to kick in the door. He explained that he would be all amped up on adrenaline. He'd have an M4 and he'd be surrounded by a group of guys to support it. In other words, mentally he was prepared and he was expecting the encounter. In contrast, you may need to go from zero to fighting for your life in a couple of seconds when acting defensively. By definition defense means you are reacting to someone else's offensive action. You start from behind. Its much more difficult and it is far more likely that you will revert to your lowest instinct, which is how you train.

You can't count in a firefight, most likely. You also experience auditory exclusion. So this is not as unlikely as you might imagine. But you would notice the lack of recoil. In all honesty, I had never thought of this kind of human failure. Mainly because I've never taken any courses or done any by myself defensive training with a revolver. There must be a way to manage this.

Don

p.s. One of my cop friends was on a regional SWAT team. One day we were talking about the mental and emotional difference between kicking in a door and arresting someone and walking along minding your own business and being attacked. His point to me was that it was much much easier to kick in the door. He explained that he would be all amped up on adrenaline. He'd have an M4 and he'd be surrounded by a group of guys to support it. In other words, mentally he was prepared and he was expecting the encounter. In contrast, you may need to go from zero to fighting for your life in a couple of seconds when acting defensively. By definition defense means you are reacting to someone else's offensive action. You start from behind. Its much more difficult and it is far more likely that you will revert to your lowest instinct, which is how you train.

This is where training kicks in.
Developing instincts that go counter to the natural reaction most humans have to a situation.
Routine, muscle memory, ect.
I remember a young LEO I ran into a while back that I asked about what his dept. had for trunk monkeys these days.
He said they had ARs now.
What manufacture? Don't know.
How are you with it? Ok I guess, just shot it one time last year.
You got one of your own you shoot? No.

Think about it, if this kid's ( A kid to me anyway) life ever depended on using that thing, he's done.
His wife is going to be a widow and his kids fatherless because he most likely won't even remember where the safety is. Never mind under duress.

A good number of the folks on this board shoot at least weekly.
How much range time and training did the good Sargent get in?
I bet not a tenth of that.

Don

i agree completely, that's why i prefaced my comment as i did. a leo aquaintance related a story of a fire-fight to which he was a back-up, and it was over almost as fast as it started. he did not shoot, but saw the muzzle flashes from the responding leo, but could NOT recall hearing the shots from 20' away. adrenaline and stress is some wierd s**t.

Wow, even elite, specialized, highly trained small town cops can't run a gun under pressure. I guess I should give up training if these superior individuals can't keep their shit together.

Stories like this always make me think of the footage of when Reagan was shot and the Secret Service agent near him totally spazzed out. I think he took a round in the belly, but for an instant, all training went out the window.
And then, the UZI's came out....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom