• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Law Enforcement Supply, Waltham MA

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
The following relates my experience with Walter Duddy (personally, he's the owner) and Law Enforcement Supply in Waltham, MA (305 River St).

I do NOT recommend this place!

A few years ago I purchased a gun safe at Law Enforcement Supply and when Walter charged me $8.00 Sales Tax, I protested and told him that MGLs changed about 1 year prior to the sale, EXEMPTING ALL GUN LOCKS AND GUN SAFES from MA Sales Tax (see cite and text below). Walter's response was "I don't know anything about that" and he did charge me the sales tax. I told him that I'd FAX him a copy of the TIR and did so. Next time I was in his shop I asked him if he received my FAX and he said partially then his Fax machine jammed up (and he didn't bother to call me), so I handed him a "hard copy" of the TIR. His response was "I don't know anything about this, my accountant takes care of all the tax matters and I already paid the state" so I'm out of luck! BTW: Keep in mind that "ignorance of the law is NOT an excuse" and personally I've had a business sales tax number since ~1966 and there is a method for getting the sales tax back from the state when it is improperly charged (or for returns).

http://www.dor.state.ma.us/rul_reg/tir/tir99_19.htm
"B. Sales of commercial gun safes and trigger lock devices
The Act creates a new sales and use tax exemption for commercial gun safes and trigger lock devices. St. 1999, c. 127, § 92 (to be codified at G.L. c. 64H, § 6 (rr)). This provision will apply to sales on or after January 1, 2000. St. 1999, c. 127, § 383."

I sent an Email to DOR about this matter (and another improper sales tax issue) and their response was two-fold:
- The vendor should reimburse me the improperly charged tax and file an abatement with the State to get credit/refund of the tax.
- If the vendor refuses to refund the tax, DOR REQUESTED that I call the DOR Tax FRAUD phone number and file a formal complaint, whereby an investigation may lead to indictment for tax fraud.

I chose NOT to turn Walter in for prosecution, but I did harass him enough that he finally grudgingly handed me $8.00 from his pocket and tried to shame me for taking the money. At that point, I swore not to do business with him and to tell others of my own experience.

Due to his piss poor attitude, I'm willing to bet that he's still charging customers sales tax on gun locks/safes! He absolutely refused to acknowledge that he was improperly charging sales tax.

In my mind, he's not treating customers fairly and I won't do business with people like that! There are a number of MUCH BETTER places to spend our money, some of whom really understand "customer service"!

Last edited:
I have purchased two pistols from this shop and was very pleased with cost and customer service - I'd buy again. Note that in the last purchase the asking price was a vey fair price and to close the deal they dropped the price by about 10% - most dealers will work the numbers on used stuff when they can..

After seeing the negative posts I did not know what to expect when I popped
in today for a look around. The staff was polite, though busy. The shop is
small but has decent selection of long guns (behind the counter) and a pretty
good selection of pistols. They had a large number of DAO S&Ws in a
variety of calibers (40,9,45) at pretty reasonable prices. They have a *very*
large selection of holsters, probably the biggest selection I have seen in a
shop in New England. Some decent ammo bargains as well...All in all not
a bad shop.

F

firtree said:
After seeing the negative posts I did not know what to expect when I popped
in today for a look around. The staff was polite, though busy. The shop is
small but has decent selection of long guns (behind the counter) and a pretty
good selection of pistols. They had a large number of DAO S&Ws in a
variety of calibers (40,9,45) at pretty reasonable prices. They have a *very*
large selection of holsters, probably the biggest selection I have seen in a
shop in New England. Some decent ammo bargains as well...All in all not
a bad shop.

F

How far of a ride is that from us firtree?? Was it easy to get too?

Right on river street in Waltham, (where I work). About a 40 minute drive
from North Attleboro, but it's not far off of the path to Four Seasons if
you are heading up. Mc Elhiney's on main st. in waltham is also a nice,
if somewhat small, gunshop.

Ok... Just got back.
You were right, small shop. I didn't see too much in the way of new handguns, but they had quite a selection of guns you just don't see in MA. Including a shipment of pre-ban Kahr K40 police trade-ins that just arrived. They had a cool looking Ruger Blackhawk with an 11 inch barrel. Most of the ammo was hard to see because it was behind the counter, however they did have some pretty good deals out on the floor. They had a deal on .40 WinClean ammo. $99/case of 500 rounds. That stuff is usually around 12-13 per box of 50.

If anyone is looking for any 7.62X39 ammo, they have it in stock. I picked up a sealed battle pack of non-corrosive, brass cased 7.62X39 ammo. $39/200 rounds. Not a bad deal. So, I guess I started my AmmoDay stock up a little early. :D

The guy Walter behind the counter was nice. He greeted me when I came through the door (after waiting for 10 minutes for them to open the door) I found out that the hours are Tues. - Sat. 12pm-6pm and I got there at about 11:50.

All in all a nice person to deal with, sorry if anyone had a bad experience with them, but my experience was an over good one.

Adam

I guess that I'm going to have to plan a trip up there and make a stop by all three of the shops.

I've talked to the owner of Mc Elhiney's at the Marlboro show. He's an odd duck. I've wanted to check out his shop, but I never go out that way.

C-pher,

After a visit to McElihiney's, please start a thread (I don't think we have one yet) about the place and your impressions.

I'll reserve any comments about the place for now (haven't been there in probably 4 years). I do usually say hi to Eldon and Mary at the gun shows when I see them and they aren't busy. Prices seem high to me.

LenS said:
C-pher,

After a visit to McElihiney's, please start a thread (I don't think we have one yet) about the place and your impressions.

I'll reserve any comments about the place for now (haven't been there in probably 4 years). I do usually say hi to Eldon and Mary at the gun shows when I see them and they aren't busy. Prices seem high to me.

Will do.

I bought many guns from Walter. He is somewhat stuburn, but generally a good guy. He does not charge tax on C&R purchases, if you talk him into that. I spent about $4000 there last year.

Lovely!!

So let's see . . .

- Walter does charge sales tax on gun safes (which are exempt by law . . . I have the receipt to prove this)! Even when I provided written proof that what he was doing was illegal, he wouldn't budge and admit it!

- You are saying that Walter doesn't charge sales tax on C&Rs (which are NOT exempt from sales tax)??

So if the latter is true, it seems like he makes up his own laws as he goes! Man, he damn well better be connected a lot higher up than Waltham PD because he's just "cruisin for bruisin"!! When the DOR's JBTs figure it out and stomp on his head, he'll be "cooked" for good!

Just seems to prove that Forest Gump was right "Stupid is, as Stupid does!"

BTW, if sales tax is due and he didn't collect it, the STATE can come after each of his customers and assess them for the unpaid tax plus interest (not sure about penalties). So if he is flagrant and they ever do go after him, all his customers might have to watch over their shoulders too.

I stay away from "train wrecks" and advise others to do the same.

I've purchase several things from them, and their prices seem to me to be about average in the area. The staff has always been friendly and accomodating, and they've done special orders for me and still given me a break on the price.

Another very recent anecdote.

On last Wednesday evening I was at BR&P for our monthly RO meeting and a Masonic Brother (and Past President of the Police Square Club) was there testing out his brand new G22 before qualifying with it the next day. He now works for DHS as an armed Federal Officer.

He tells me that he bought it as a LE duty gun (his branch of DHS the officers must buy their own weapons) from Law Enforcement Supply. He proceeds to tell me that he "only paid $549" for it as a LE purchase. When I told him that I wouldn't do business with that place, I also mentioned that the LE price for G22 (and G23 which I intend to get sometime in near future) is $398.20 + transfer fee (typically $20-30), he was none too happy!

BTW, regular dealer cost is higher than the LE pricing, so they have to be ordered special for the customer. The following was obtained from either GlockTalk or AR15.com and confirmed to me as valid for 2006 by Interstate Arms (LE Distributor for Glocks). One must send Interstate Arms your credentials and payment and they ship to the LE dealer of your choice for the transfer to the individual officer. This ALSO applies to FF/EMS/Military (that are outside MA).

GLOCK, INC.
INDIVIDUAL OFFICER PRICE SHEET
( PRICES & FORM VALID FROM JANUARY 1, 2005 THRU DEC 31, 2005 )

LIMIT ORDER TO TWO PISTOLS.
*****CHECK THE BOX OF THE ITEMS BEING ORDERED*****ALL PRICES ARE IN US DOLLARS*****

STANDARD LAW ENFORCEMENT EQUIPMENT INCLUDES: PISTOL LOCK, CLEANING ROD AND BRUSH, OWNER’S MANUAL AND WARRANTY REGISTRATION CARD, STORAGE CONTAINER, MAGAZINE LOADER, AND SPECIFIED NUMBER OF MAGAZINES.

MODELS: •G-17 (9x19) •G-19 (9x19) •G-26* (9x19) •G-31 (.357) •G-33* (.357) SPECIFY TRIGGER:
•G-22 (.40) •G-23 (.40) •G-27* (.40) •G-32 (.357) • 5LB • 8LB • NY1
3 HIGH - CAPACITY MAGAZINES (* G26, G27, G33, PROVIDED WITH 2 MAGAZINES; “C” MODEL NOT AVAILABLE.)
SIGHT PRICE w/FET QTY GRAND TOTAL
FIXED 398.20 x __ = ___________
ADJUSTABLE 420.20 x __ = ___________
GLOCK NS 455.40 x __ = ___________
TRIJICON NS 477.40 x __ = ___________

MODELS: •G-20 (10MM) •G-29 *(10 MM) SPECIFY TRIGGER: • 5LB • 8LB • NY1
•G-21 (.45) •G-30*(.45) •G-36* (.45)
3 HIGH - CAPACITY MAGAZINES (* G29, G30, AND G36 PROVIDED WITH 2 MAGAZINES; “C” MODEL NOT AVAILABLE)
FIXED 464.20 x __ = ___________
ADJUSTABLE 486.20 x __ = ___________
GLOCK NS 521.40 x __ = ___________
TRIJICON NS 543.40 x __ = ___________

MODELS: •G-34 (9x19) •G-35 (.40) SPECIFY TRIGGER: • 5LB • 8LB
3 HIGH - CAPACITY MAGAZINES • 3.5 LB • NY 1
FIXED 480.70 x __ = ___________
ADJUSTABLE 502.70 x __ = ___________
GLOCK NS 537.90 X __ = ___________
TRIJICON NS 559.90 X __ = ___________

MODELS: •G-37 (.45 G.A.P.) • G-38 (.45 G.A.P.) • G-39 (.45 G.A.P.) SPECIFY TRIGGER: • 5LB • 8LB • NY1
3 10 – ROUND MAGAZINES
FIXED 414.70 x __ = ___________
ADJUSTABLE 436.40 x __ = ___________
GLOCK NS 471.90 x __ = ___________
TRIJICON NS 493.90 x __ = ___________

ACCESSORIES: TOTAL PISTOL PRICE = ___________
• ENTRENCHING TOOL W/POUCH____ 34.00 ACCESSORY SUBTOTAL = ___________
• FIELD KNIFE (BLACK/SAND/OLIVE) ____ 20.00 SHIPPING AND HANDLING = 10.00
• FIELD KNIFE WITH ROOT SAW (BLACK/SAND/OLIVE) ____ 22.00
• MAGAZINE POUCH (9MM /.40 CAL./.357) ____ 7.00 ORDER SUBTOTAL = ___________
• MAGAZINE POUCH (10MM / .45 AUTO) ____ 7.00
• SPORT/COMBAT HOLSTER (SPECIFY MODEL) ____ 9.00 **STATE SALES TAX** = ___________
• SPORT/DUTY HOLSTER ( NOT AVAILABLE FOR 10MM/.45 AUTO) 15.00 (SEE **TAXABLE STATES BELOW)
• GLOCK TACTICAL LIGHT_____ 75.00
• GLOCK TACTICAL LIGHT W/LASER_____ 227.00
• G26/27/33 LE ONLY MAGAZINE W/ “+” FLOORPLATE ____ 25.00 GRAND TOTAL = ___________
• EXTRA MAGAZINE(SPECIFY MODEL) ______X______ 16.00 (MAX. 6 PER MODEL)

*TAXABLE STATES: CA, CO, FL, GA, HI, ID, KS, MA, MD, MI, MN, MO, MS, NV, NM, NY, NC, OH, PA, TN, TX, VA, WA, WI, WV
DUE TO STATE LAW, GLOCK, INC. IS PROHIBITED FROM SHIPPING DIRECT TO INDIVIDUALS IN CA, NJ, MO, PA
P. O. BOX 369
SMYRNA, GA 30081 - 0369
PRICES AND SALES CONDITIONS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE

SALES CONDITIONS

LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS WHO CHOOSE TO ACQUIRE THEIR PRIVATE DUTY WEAPONS WITH THEIR AGENCY'S PERMISSION, MAY PURCHASE GLOCK PISTOLS ON A PREPAYMENT BASIS FROM GLOCK, INC.; PROVIDED THAT THE GLOCK PISTOLS SHIPPED TO LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS WILL NOT BE RESOLD TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC AND COMPLY WITH A.T.F. AND STATE PURCHASE AND SHIPMENT REGULATIONS. INDIVIDUAL OFFICER SALES ARE CONSIDERED AS RETAIL SALES AND ARE SUBJECT TO FEDERAL EXCISE TAX, STATE AND/OR LOCAL SALES TAXES.

A.T.F. REGULATIONS, SALES OF FIREARMS TO LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS:

SECTION 925(a) (1) OF THE GUN CONTROL ACT EXEMPTS LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES FROM THE TRANSPORTATION, SHIPMENT, RECEIPT, OR IMPORTATION CONTROLS OF THE ACT WHEN FIREARMS ARE TO BE USED FOR THE OFFICIAL BUSINESS OF THE AGENCY.

IF A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER IS ISSUED A CERTIFICATION LETTER ON THE AGENCY'S LETTERHEAD SIGNED BY A PERSON IN AUTHORITY WITHIN THAT AGENCY STATING THAT THE OFFICER WILL USE THE FIREARMS IN PERFORMANCE OF OFFICIAL DUTIES, THEN THAT OFFICER SPECIFIED IN THE CERTIFICATION MAY PURCHASE A FIREARM REGARDLESS OF THE STATE IN WHICH HE/SHE RESIDES OR IN WHICH THE AGENCY IS LOCATED. GLOCK, INC. IS NOT REQUIRED TO PREPARE A FORM 4473 COVERING THIS PARTICULAR SALE, AS THE CERTIFICATION LETTER IS EVIDENCE OF THE TRANSACTION. DISPOSITION TO THE OFFICERS AGENCY IS ENTERED IN SELLER'S PERMANENT RECORD, AND THE CERTIFICATION LETTER WITH AN “ORIGINAL SIGNATURE” IS KEPT IN THE SELLER'S FILES.

THE A.T.F. CONSIDERS THE FOLLOWING AS PERSONS HAVING AUTHORITY TO MAKE CERTIFICATIONS THAT THE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER PURCHASING THE FIREARM WILL USE THE FIREARM IN THE PERFORMANCE OF OFFICIAL DUTIES:

1. IN A CITY OR COUNTY POLICE DEPARTMENT, THE DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC SAFETY OR THE CHIEF OR COMMISSIONER OF POLICE.
2. IN A SHERIFF'S OFFICE, THE SHERIFF.
3. IN A STATE POLICE OR HIGHWAY PATROL DEPARTMENT, THE SUPERINTENDENT OR THE SUPERVISOR IN CHARGE OF THE OFFICE TO WHICH THE
OFFICER IS ASSIGNED.
4. IN FEDERAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICES, THE SUPERVISOR IN CHARGE OF THE OFFICE TO WHICH THE FEDERAL OFFICER IS ASSIGNED.

THE A.T.F. WOULD ALSO RECOGNIZE SOMEONE SIGNING ON BEHALF OF A PERSON OF AUTHORITY PROVIDED THERE IS A PROPER DELEGATION OF AUTHORITY AND OVERALL RESPONSIBILITY HAS NOT CHANGED IN ANY WAY. COPIES/FAXES OF LETTERS AND “RUBBER STAMP” SIGNATURES ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE.

SAMPLE AUTHORIZATION LETTER WITH LAUTENBERG CERTIFICATION

I HEREBY CERTIFY UNDER PENALTY OF PERJURY THAT THE OFFICER WILL USE THE REQUESTED FIREARM FOR USE IN PERFORMING OFFICIAL DUTIES AND THAT THE FIREARM IS NOT BEING ACQUIRED FOR PERSONAL USE OR FOR PURPOSES OF TRANSFER OR RESALE.

I FURTHER CERTIFY, UNDER PENALTY OF PERJURY, THAT A RECORDS CHECK HAS BEEN CONDUCTED ON THE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER WHO IS PURCHASING THE FIREARM AND REVEALS NO CONVICTIONS FOR MISDEMEANOR CRIMES OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE.

NOTE: BOTH THE PURCHASER AND PERSON OF AUTHORITY WITHIN THE AGENCY MUST SIGN THE AUTHORIZATION / CERTIFICATION LETTER (S).

IF TWO PISTOLS ARE ORDERED, THE LETTERHEAD REQUEST MUST INDICATE PERMISSION TO PURCHASE BOTH. NOTE: AUTHORIZATION LETTER MUST STATE THE QUANTITY OF PISTOLS THAT ARE BEING ORDERED. LAW ENFORCEMENT PERSONNEL PURCHASING PISTOLS UNDER GLOCKS INDIVIDUAL OFFICER PRICE PROGRAM ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR COMPLYING WITH ALL FEDERAL-STATE-LOCAL FIREARMS REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS AND FOR PAYMENT OF ANY REQUIRED REGISTRATION FEES.

TERMS: PREPAID ONLY BY CHECK, POSTAL MONEY ORDER OR CREDIT CARD. $50.00 CHARGE FOR RETURNED CHECKS OR CREDIT CARD CHARGE BACKS.

FOR SALES TAX AND FREIGHT CHARGES NOTE FOLLOWING: COMPUTE STATE AND LOCAL SALES OR USE TAX PERCENTAGE AFTER ADDING SHIPPING AND HANDLING. PISTOLS/ACCESSORIES ARE SHIPPED BY UPS OR POSTAL GROUND SERVICE. SECOND DAY AIR OR NEXT DAY AIR CHARGES ARE THE CUSTOMER’S PREPAID RESPONSIBILITY.

PHONE OR FAX ORDERS FOR PISTOLS CANNOT BE ACCEPTED. PROPER AND ORIGINAL LETTERHEAD CERTIFICATIONS MUST ACCOMPANY ALL ORDERS AS PER SALES CONDITIONS SET OUT ABOVE. ORDERS FOR ACCESSORIES AND SPARE PARTS MAY BE ORDERED BY FAX WITH CREDIT CARD AUTHORIZATION.
FAX #: (770) 433-8719

CREDIT CARD PURCHASES - PLEASE PROVIDE:

NAME ON CREDIT CARD ____________________________________________________ VISA/MASTERCARD/DISCOVER_________

CREDIT CARD NUMBER ____________________________________________________ EXPIRATION DATE _________/____________
AUTHORIZED SIGNATURE __________________________________________________________________________________________

FOR ANY ASSISTANCE, KINDLY CONTACT GLOCK, INC. CUSTOMER SERVICE AT (770) 432-1202 OR YOUR LOCAL GLOCK, INC. SALES MANAGER. (LE 1/19/2005)

New LE Glocks can be sold legally to LEOs with proper credentials in MA.

New "Civilian Glocks" can NOT be sold legally to peons in MA. Thank your AG for that one.

I am not sure, but the trigger on an LE Glock may be "industry standard" as opposed to the MA requirement of 10# minimum.

LE Glock

[thinking] Glock gives the purchaser the option of what trigger is to be installed on the firearm. They give I believe four options.

The firearm is purchased directly from Glock and delivered through any local dealer. But the department must authorize the purchase by the way of a letter from the Chief or his designee.

I visited this shop for the first time to buy ammo. It was small but the staff was helpful, and they had a good deal on ammo, some stuff on special with prices similar to Four Seasons for the .22 lr and .223.

It is nice to have a place near Newton to buy ammo, now that I am also going to the Westwood Gun Club which is the opposite direction from Four Seasons.

Cross-X said:
I hear Derek will soon be forming the NES Police Department, and issuing suppressed HK MP-5's for everyone.

I'd rather mine be a USP Tactical....do they make a bayonette for that gun? If not I want one with a 40mm Grenade launcher! [rofl]

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

***OFF TOPIC***

***Wanna-Be Mod hat On***

When posting a review of a gun shop aren't you suppossed to include the address and phone number as per the rules???

haha

Just busting ya!!!!

Pete

PistolPete said:
***OFF TOPIC***

***Wanna-Be Mod hat On***

When posting a review of a gun shop aren't you suppossed to include the address and phone number as per the rules???

haha

Just busting ya!!!!

Pete

Pete,

Fair enough, I edited my OP and added the street address.

Nothing in the rules say that you must put phone, Email or Website in the post . . . although it's a good thing to do when you are RECOMMENDING a shop. Not really needed when you are RECOMMENDING THAT PEOPLE NOT shop there, which is the case here!

Back
Top Bottom