Law Enforcement Supply, Waltham MA

I know this thread is about a thousand years old, but I live in Waltham. After buying a Ruger revolver at Four Seasons I went to a few different shops looking for a holster, including McElhiney's. They didn't have much, and the guy there seemed annoyed by my presence. I called again a couple days later and asked about prices for some ammo, and he refused to answer any questions about prices over the phone.

Law Enforcement Supply, on the other hand, has a comparatively huge selection of holsters (even though their shop is probably smaller) and they happily answered any questions I had on the phone.

Their stuff seems a little pricey, but it's a five minute walk from my apartment and I'm willing to pay for the convenience.

I know this thread is about a thousand years old, but I live in Waltham. After buying a Ruger revolver at Four Seasons I went to a few different shops looking for a holster, including McElhiney's. They didn't have much, and the guy there seemed annoyed by my presence. I called again a couple days later and asked about prices for some ammo, and he refused to answer any questions about prices over the phone.

Law Enforcement Supply, on the other hand, has a comparatively huge selection of holsters (even though their shop is probably smaller) and they happily answered any questions I had on the phone.

Their stuff seems a little pricey, but it's a five minute walk from my apartment and I'm willing to pay for the convenience.

If you ask for a "discount", Walter usually shaves off a little bit and throws in a box of ammo if you buy a gun.

Was in this shop about a week ago, stopped in after work and took a look around. Not much as far as handguns go, and a few long guns. When I went in there were two Waltham LEO in uniform shotting the sh*t with the owner. He immediately said hello and asked if I needed anything. I was just looking at the case and saw a LEO only M&P .45, and we got to talking about the M&P's trigger, he pulled out the civilian with the break your finger off heavy trigger and the LEO with the light trigger...gotta say the difference is startling and would probably make that gun enjoyable.

In addition seemed to have a decent amount of ammo but the prices were a bit high.

*Didn't really look to see if he charged the correct sales tax ;-)

L.E.E. experience

I have been in this shop many times. Have purchased 3 handguns within a years time. Sometimes they are very busy and sometimes you have the whole place to yourself. But only once did I have a negative experience and that was only because they were very busy and had to wait my turn, not something to really complain about. Otherwise on each purchase I made I was given a better price (all used handguns) from that which was tagged in case. All transactions were done very promptly and on one was even thrown in an extra magazine no charge. All exchanges were very courteous. I have found there prices very competitive and in most cases on used items cheaper in comparison to other local places. His inventory can vary but does turn over quite fast. One week they may have a few, the followin week new stuff shows up. He turns over a lot of Iron. If you don't like the price, speak up and if they can do better, they will. I will continue to do business there!

I went there today to price a few things. As usual, it was an enjoyable time, shooting the breeze with Walter. Not much for handguns left, like everywhere else. I like the place a lot, it's no Four Seasons, but it's way better than McElhiney's!

McElhiney's experience

I stopped by McElhiney's today with a friend to shop for a semi-auto. The owner was not very friendly despite my obvious interest in some of his items. I tried to strike up a conversation, asking about his guns and tried to get some information about the current laws and transfers (small talk..break the ice etc..). He mumbled a few things but clearly could not be bothered. His wife was much more helpful. Expecting to spend hundreds of dollars, if not more, I was very disappointed and left. Four Season's was great...very helpful and willing to show me several different varieties of guns/calibers and offered some suggestions. I also stopped by the Collector's Gallery earlier this week, better than McElhiney's but certainly not as good as FS.

-PD

I stopped by McElhiney's today with a friend to shop for a semi-auto. The owner was not very friendly despite my obvious interest in some of his items. I tried to strike up a conversation, asking about his guns and tried to get some information about the current laws and transfers (small talk..break the ice etc..). He mumbled a few things but clearly could not be bothered. His wife was much more helpful. Expecting to spend hundreds of dollars, if not more, I was very disappointed and left. Four Season's was great...very helpful and willing to show me several different varieties of guns/calibers and offered some suggestions. I also stopped by the Collector's Gallery earlier this week, better than McElhiney's but certainly not as good as FS.

-PD

This is the LEE thread, not the McElhiney's thread. From what I understand, he may have suffered a serious medical emergency not too far back and is afflicted with Parkinson's.

L.E.E.

Stopped by L.E.E. today to check it out..they had a nice variety of ammo but somewhat limited quantities (at least on display) - limit of 2 boxes. Prices..well, you know. But at least they had stuff in stock. Checked out a few handguns, the prices were reasonable. The owner (Walter) was very helpful and answered my questions even though there were three other fellows in the shop checking out his stock. Small store but packed full of goodies...lots of magazines and holsters.

-MS

Yes, lots of magazines and holsters. Dropped by there today on my way back from visiting a few other gun shops in northern Massachusetts since I live in Brighton. I was pleasantly surprised with selection of holsters and magazines. I ended up picking up a m&p 9mm magazine for what smith and wesson charges and a nice belt holster for it for a good price.

Their stock of handguns is moderate. They have a variety of revolvers and semi-autos. The gun that really grabbed my eye was an unfired colt python, in it's case, for a grand. God damn it looked pretty. They've got a pretty good selection of rifles/shotguns and black rifles. I saw a sks and a few klashnikovs too. Ammo selection is diverse, well stocked, but prices weren't outrageously great or poor. It's what you'd expect out of a gun shop.

The guys working there were extremely friendly and knowledgable. A guy walked in with a very old double barrel shotgun and asked if it was worth fixing, whether it could be fired, etc. They labeled it from 1870's made out of damascus steel, so shooting modern loads would be out of the picture. It was cool watching this exchange of information. I inquired about ordering a rifle that they did not have in stock (no one does around these parts) and they gave me the best quote I've received in Massachusetts, beating a few places in new hampshire as well. They'll secure my business for the rifle for sure: they're local, 10 minutes from my house, have reasonable prices, and are a good group of guys to talk to.

Evidently they order pizza on Saturday afternoons and you're welcome to a free slice. I wish I would have had the day to kill with them and I could have had free dinner [grin] I'm pretty pumped that such a place exists so close to me.

and here's another huge plus to them: the city of waltham LTC licensing official was working there. One of the guys laughed when he saw my restricted class A from boston and told me I should move a few blocks into waltham so that they could fix my LTC. [smile]

*snip*

and here's another huge plus to them: the city of waltham LTC licensing official was working there. One of the guys laughed when he saw my restricted class A from boston and told me I should move a few blocks into waltham so that they could fix my LTC. [smile]

That's BS (not to you, to them). Waltham issues restrictions of T&H to first timers. I suppose it's possible that if you already have your LTC, even if it's restricted, they'll issue you an ALP when you're due for renewal, but Waltham is notorius for not doing early renewals and for slamming you with T&H.
One of the Waltham PD works there. I do not believe it is the licensing official (Gormley), or at least not when I've been there. Things can and do change though...

You're probably right. Granted, the guy that told me this wasn't the 'official' so it most likely was a huge line of BS.

Regardless of that issue, it was still a pleasant place to go to. Thank you for clearing that up, though.

You're probably right. Granted, the guy that told me this wasn't the 'official' so it most likely was a huge line of BS.

Regardless of that issue, it was still a pleasant place to go to. Thank you for clearing that up, though.

The guy whos is a waltham LEO is in traffic enforcement (saw his cruiser), he is a really helpful and friendly guy.

I just wanted to let you all know that Walter at Law Enforcement Equipment in Waltham helped make my Christmas a better one. I was looking to buy a firearm as a gift for a family member. As is usually the case this was a last minute idea. He was helpful as always. I had my eye on a new target pistol that had a 'sale' tag on it. At the last minute he decided to offer me an additional $25 off 'because it's Christmas Eve'. He also had a little customer appreciation party going on today complete with food! As others have pointed out the employees there are also helpful.

I've been to this gun store numerous times and I always feel welcomed and inviting. Numerous times Walter has help me

Will go back again and again

Stopped in today. They seem like a good bunch of guys (though it's true I was not buying any gun locks or safe's, LOL).

I made it perfectly clear to him that I didn't have a dime to spend, and then asked if I could paw a pleasantly worn S&W Model 28 with pimp-a-licious pearl grips ($450). He tossed a grin, and said sure, and it was perfectly clear that he was happy to show me the Model 28 on general principle.

I browsed the cases. They have a Gen 2 Glock 21 with 2 drop-free mags ($595). I asked if I could field strip it for a look at the wear, and he did it for me. Looked pretty good.

All told, I'd say it's worth popping by. You sometimes get surprised by an ammo special in the buckets on the floor.

I tried to get him interested in NES and advertising some firearms here (like the Glock), but he said he wasn't an internet guy.

--Warm_Garand

my buddy got a glock 23 from there but he stated if you have a pre ban mag 13 rounds and had to use it you would be charged with a felony for having the magazine

I happened by this store and never went in before. Small showroom but packed with firearms and accessories. I counted no less than 8 (!) S&W model 36 snubbies which was odd. While there an older gentleman who was known to the store's owner came in with a preban AK with beautiful furniture/thumbhole stock. He said he never shot it and would like to sell it. After a minute I asked if it was Yugoslavian and he said he didn't know. Right after the owner took the gun and asked the gentleman to come with him leaving the store going to I-don't-know-where. When he arrived a few minutes later without the gun I asked if he bought it. His curt response was "that is my business." Was taken aback and said well if you are going to put it on the shelf I would like to look at it. He ignored my reply and went about leveling the shelves.

I am repeatedly amazed at the lack of business skills so many small biz owners have particularly firearms dealers. Had a few thousand in cash on me and was getting serious about buying a pistol when this happened and I promptly left to buy one elsewhere. My only regret was not telling him I was leaving and why I was leaving so maybe he could mature a little and grow as a person.

67ray, well you've now met Walter Duddy! [rofl]

Please read the first post in this thread! Walter isn't going to learn anything and he doesn't care about your business or mine.

There were a lot of retired Waltham and probably Newton POs that used to hang out there and thus probably the source of most of the Chief's Specials (S&W 36).

67ray, well you've now met Walter Duddy! [rofl]

Please read the first post in this thread! Walter isn't going to learn anything and he doesn't care about your business or mine.

There were a lot of retired Waltham and probably Newton POs that used to hang out there and thus probably the source of most of the Chief's Specials (S&W 36).

This^

It's also the closest gun shop to where I live, and I drive by it every day, but I refuse to shop there.

Walter is a decent guy. I've bought from him several times. All sorts of people come into his shop, and you'd be amazed at what he has to put up with sometimes. If you have the poor fortune to be the customer who arrives immediately after he has to deal with unpleasantness, that can color your experience. He has to deal with massive hassles just to stay open and out of jail in MA. Sometimes those hassles get to him, and you can detect it in his mood.

When I deal with Walter, I assume he just completed dealing with something or someone very frustrating. I approach him from that perspective, and I have always found him to be helpful, knowledgeable, and fair.

Metaphorically speaking, if you butt heads with him, it will be unpleasant. If you stand next to him, he'll do all he can for you. If that's too much trouble for you, you might want to shop elsewhere. For me, I choose to support the small businesses whenever I can.

In an ideal world, the person behind the counter would always treat you like a guest arriving at a fancy hotel. No matter what they just finished dealing with, they would treat you like a welcome and honored guest. Walter doesn't always achieve that standard of customer care. I can live with that.

Where's my tiny violin when I need it?? [laugh] I think I found it. . .
musik25.gif

I knew Walter for years before my "incident". I dropped in there numerous times over the years, chewed the fat and bought some stuff and had no complaints. Some of his regulars (or maybe they worked there, hard to tell) were fellow members of the Police Square Club with me. One of his customers opened an Asian restaurant and invited us, Walter and gang to the grand opening. My Wife and I sat with Walter and his Wife that entire evening, again no complaints.

When I went to buy an ~$200 gun safe, he charged me sales tax so I paid and asked him if he was aware of the law. He said he wasn't and I told him that I'd Fax him a copy of it. I did so, no response. Next trip to the shop I asked him if he received the Fax and he said yes, but part of it jammed his machine (it's the last page of a long TIR). I brought a printed copy with me and pointed it out to him and gave him the copy. His response was that his accountant handles that stuff and never told him. I also showed him a DOR response on how to handle such things and if a merchant refused that I should file a tax fraud complaint (I had no desire to deep-six an FFL, there are too few in MA as it was) . . . BTW, the DOR response was in reference to a direct query on China-Mart selling me an American Flag (tax exempt) with MA Sales Tax and China-Mart HQ Legal Dept attempting to justify doing so, different matter with same basic issue. Walter got down-right belligerent and I stood my ground, got my money but he lost a customer for life (for the way he behaved) and anyone else I can turn away from him by honestly describing my experience is all for the better!

Years later I learned that my actions prevented our PD from getting ripped off when they went to swap 3 smgs (all registered & transferable) for M4s. Walter was offering them $4K trade-in value for 3 smgs. My recommendation to the chief got them $8K from another FFL! [It was only after the deal was done that I was told that Walter was the dealer and the amount he offered.] This made me very happy on multiple levels! [devil]

Last edited:
Lens speaks the truth. I live in waltham and will not ever be going in there. Better off going to natick or woburn. Your not getting the best of anything, service, price, selection.

LEE, home of the $50 transfer, and then he'll bitch and moan about "not having time for this crap" if there are more than three people in the store.
However, if you're looking for an overpriced model 36, he always has tons of those lying around.

He has to deal with massive hassles just to stay open and out of jail in MA. Sometimes those hassles get to him, and you can detect it in his mood.
Boo hoo. He CHOSE that business.

When I deal with Walter, I assume he just completed dealing with something or someone very frustrating. I approach him from that perspective, and I have always found him to be helpful, knowledgeable, and fair.
So you have to treat him like a cranky 4 year old for the privilege of high prices and a limited selection. Sounds like a winner to me!

I go in there every so often. He has given me unsolicited discounts on guns when I have mentioned it's a gift for my son.
Ammo is high. He has a good selection of pepper spray. Not the little pansy cans you see elsewhere.
A friend of mine went through a divorce and his guns were taken from him. After the police had them for a couple of months he had Walter pick them up and store them. About a year later Walter transfered the guns to another friend for short money.
Another friend of mine bought a gun from Walter and traded. He got next to nothing for the gun he traded. It was a sig mosquito and sucked but my friend should'nt have accepted the trade offer.
FWIW I picked up a NIB S&W e series from him on Christmas Eve. . I probably paid about $25 more than collectors or somewhere like that. I paid less than the used offerings here on NES.

ETA not trying to downplay the bad experiences people have had. Just pointing out that he's not all bad.

I have never had a problem at Walter's, I've bought guns and ammo there and never saw anything out of the ordinary and would have no problem going there in the future. Years ago I was recommended to his shop by several friends that still consider Walter's 'their' go-to gun shop.

Is it possible he was grouchy to customers in the past? I've never experienced it, but I'm sure its possible. We all have had bad days so I'm not too worried about it.

If I was driving through Waltham today, I would certainly make a point of stopping in and seeing what he had on the shelves.

My .02 cents

I stopped by yesterday to look around. Although small (doesn't really bother me that it's small) they do have a very large collection of guns and tons of accessories. They were super nice. Glad to have a store within 2 min. drive.
And yes, the LEO who works there is the Waltham LO.

the officer who works there part time handles all firearms related matter for waltham pd....he's a good dude too from the times i have dealt with him ......i still cant stand the shop :)

Back
Top Bottom