• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Kroil locally?

Check any auto parts store.

I'm moving this thread to the equipment section where it'll get better input.

Thanks Ray, I heard Napa stores may carry it and there's one a few miles away so I'm going to check them first.

Mix acetone and tranny fluid 50/50, you'll get the same thing only better. We used Kroil to free turbo waste gates on Cessna aircraft, then we tried the above solution and it worked tons better.....

I swung into Acme last week... He's got a plenty of cans of Kroil on hand. Both regular and the aerosol spray version.

IMO, great shop to visit for any reason.

I know amazon has it but I don't need $35 worth of stuff right now to get the free shipping. And I want it this weekend so I can start de-rusting some parts.

Does the acetone + ATF mixture remove rust as effectively as soaking in Kroil??

I know amazon has it but I don't need $35 worth of stuff right now to get the free shipping. And I want it this weekend so I can start de-rusting some parts.

Does the acetone + ATF mixture remove rust as effectively as soaking in Kroil??

Go up to Londonderry, NH then and get some from Acme... Also bask in the glory of Adam's beard... [rofl2]

Personally, I wouldn't mix up ATF and acetone. I know some people rave about using automotive lubricants on their guns, I'm just not a fan.

What parts do you have with rust on them?? I blasted some rifle bolts, then used Cerakote on them for a friend/NES member, with great results.

Go up to Londonderry, NH then and get some from Acme... Also bask in the glory of Adam's beard... [rofl2]

Personally, I wouldn't mix up ATF and acetone. I know some people rave about using automotive lubricants on their guns, I'm just not a fan.

What parts do you have with rust on them?? I blasted some rifle bolts, then used Cerakote on them for a friend/NES member, with great results.

Lol Kroil is an "automotive lubricant"
What is the OP trying to de-rust?

Lol Kroil is an "automotive lubricant"
What is the OP trying to de-rust?

some 1903 parts. Floorplate/trigger guard, butt plate, barrel bands, sling swivel and a couple of associated screws. And a caliper I found in the basement while I'm at it. I don't want to sandblast or refinish them, just get the surface rust off. I could use CLP + brass wool on most of the parts but soaking in kroil sounds easier to me. And the caliper will need soaking to bring it back.

Chet thanks, I'm in Reading.

some 1903 parts. Floorplate/trigger guard, butt plate, barrel bands, sling swivel and a couple of associated screws. And a caliper I found in the basement while I'm at it. I don't want to sandblast or refinish them, just get the surface rust off. I could use CLP + brass wool on most of the parts but soaking in kroil sounds easier to me. And the caliper will need soaking to bring it back.

I don't think you'll ruin anything with the acetone mix...

Soaking the parts in Kroil won't remove rust. It'll get into the pores and prevent further rusting but the only way you're going to remove it is by scrubbing with some steel wool and a product such as CLP, Kroil, Fireclean, etc.

How about a electrolysis set up..........washing soda a battery and a scrap piece of steel?

http://www.ktgunsmith.com/rust.htm

oh yeah, I forgot about electrolysis. I've got a nice 20 amp 12v regulated supply too.

I actually found some rust remover (evaporust I think it was called) at harbor freight the other day when looking for Kroil. It worked amazingly well and quickly, especially on the caliper. Brought that right back to life in about an hour of soaking. Other stuff was de-rusted pretty quickly as well.

Bumping this as I have the exact same question as the OP.

Edit: NAPA on 19 Macy Street in Amesbury stocks 8oz bottles as well as 10oz and 13oz aerosol cans of Kroil. No one else that I called in the Merrimack Valley/Northshore area carried it.

QysMqy1h.jpg

Last edited:
Looking for Kroil locally in Attleboro... today. Tried Napa, O'Reilly, Walmart, HD, Lowes, HF, Rockys Ace, and Advanced Auto. I can't believe there isn't a place that carries it. One of the elwctric jacks on my camper is frozen and I have used PB blaster, BFH, heat and breaker bar on a big assed plumbers pipe wrench. Been soaking the scre for 1 month now and hoping to find some Kroil to soak for a bit more. See pic for what I am doing, not my jack.
20200912_112845.jpg

Back
Top Bottom