• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Where to find needle tip oil bottle locally?

I realize that Brownells isn't LOCAL, but you will find that their products are specifically designed for use with firearms and are usually a better choice than locally sourced substitutes. I have been a satisfied customer for many years and find that USPS Priority Mail will get the part to my door (Boston) from Brownells in Iowa in two days. Order a Brownells catalog; well worth the $5.00. even if you never place an order.

I realize that Brownells isn't LOCAL, but you will find that their products are specifically designed for use with firearms and are usually a better choice than locally sourced substitutes. I have been a satisfied customer for many years and find that USPS Priority Mail will get the part to my door (Boston) from Brownells in Iowa in two days. Order a Brownells catalog; well worth the $5.00. even if you never place an order.

No offense, but could you point out the firearms specific features of this that you don't get with this or this?

I'm with you as far as using the correct tools for the job at hand, but we're just looking at bottles with metal tubes attached to them which aren't being used to store corrosive or volatile compounds.

Perhaps I should have explained my position in more detail. Several years ago I became tired of spending an exhorbitant amount of money for my favorite gun lube (Break Free) and started to make my own lube. That was the easy part, finding bottles to store and dispense it was more difficult. After a fruitless search for locally available dispensers, I turned to Brownells and found that their selection of these containers had several that suited my needs perfectly. As I mentioned before buy the catalog, it will be $5.00 well spent.

I'm with you as far as using the correct tools for the job at hand, but we're just looking at bottles with metal tubes attached to them which aren't being used to store corrosive or volatile compounds.

True. Just make sure the plastics involved (bottle, cap, seals) are meant to handle solvents and the seals are good enough that penetrating oils can't merrily migrate past them. They don't need to be firearms-specific, just meant to handle such solvents. Otherwise, you may find yourself with a mess. Read the negative reviews on this one, for example, allegedly made for use with firearms.

I'm not sure a solder flux dispenser will be made with a plastic and seals that can handle some of the CLP-type compounds or finer penetrating oils. If it is, that's a neat choice. But if it isn't, well, expect a mess.

Those bottles can be obtained from an industrial supply company like McMaster-Carr. I use the wash bottles to store isopropyl on my optics bench, and i've seen electronics techs use the bottle with needle for flux. They are all over the place anywhere that makes stuff. If you work with engineers and technicians, you will see this kind of stuff in their work areas.

Perhaps I should have explained my position in more detail. Several years ago I became tired of spending an exhorbitant amount of money for my favorite gun lube (Break Free) and started to make my own lube. That was the easy part, finding bottles to store and dispense it was more difficult. After a fruitless search for locally available dispensers, I turned to Brownells and found that their selection of these containers had several that suited my needs perfectly. As I mentioned before buy the catalog, it will be $5.00 well spent.

Fair enough.

I'm not sure a solder flux dispenser will be made with a plastic and seals that can handle some of the CLP-type compounds or finer penetrating oils. If it is, that's a neat choice. But if it isn't, well, expect a mess.

I can tell you one thing - I'd much rather have CLP or Hoppes #9 end up in places it shouldn't be than liquid flux.

http://www.tompkins-co.org/msds/m2291.pdf

http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/engineering/ElChemInventory/MSDS/Stay Clean.pdf

I can tell you one thing - I'd much rather have CLP or Hoppes #9 end up in places it shouldn't be than liquid flux.

http://www.tompkins-co.org/msds/m2291.pdf

http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/engineering/ElChemInventory/MSDS/Stay Clean.pdf
Sure but just because one is a worse - or even more corrosive, acidic, or aggressive - chemical does not mean its bottle will contain the other. If someone knows that gun-related solvents will be contained by the bottles and seals for solder flux, they can speak up. Repurposing bottles for solvents has its risks if you don't know what the solvent will eat through or what the bottle is made of.

Im looking to find a bottle like the one below locally, anyone know where to find them?

895165.jpg

Corner alley down in Boston Chinatown. Usually sold by street bum. [wink]

Seriously, try wally world at the fabric dept. Also joann fabric or Ac Moore.

Sure but just because one is a worse - or even more corrosive, acidic, or aggressive - chemical does not mean its bottle will contain the other. If someone knows that gun-related solvents will be contained by the bottles and seals for solder flux, they can speak up. Repurposing bottles for solvents has its risks if you don't know what the solvent will eat through or what the bottle is made of.

Ah - I see. Most of the needle type bottles I've seen do not have o-rings, so there's a direct seal, and they're HDPE so there should be no problem with anything in CLP. The ones with o-rings usually use nitrile or buna-N because they're cheap (though terrible even with the materials in flux) but the olefins in CLP will erode those fairly quickly (heck they're crappy for almost anything that isn't food or air).

No o-ring should be good to go, and if there is one in there I'd replace it with a perfluoroelastomer one. Stay away from Viton o-rings too.

Ah - I see. Most of the needle type bottles I've seen do not have o-rings, so there's a direct seal, and they're HDPE so there should be no problem with anything in CLP. The ones with o-rings usually use nitrile or buna-N because they're cheap (though terrible even with the materials in flux) but the olefins in CLP will erode those fairly quickly (heck they're crappy for almost anything that isn't food or air).

No o-ring should be good to go, and if there is one in there I'd replace it with a perfluoroelastomer one. Stay away from Viton o-rings too.

^^ That is what I'm talkin' bout! Nice response. +1!

check eBay for sewing machine oilers.

I got a package of about six of them for cheap a year ago, so I could keep some Militec-1 with me everywhere. Even if I lose one or give one away, no biggie. I have more.

The other option is to get a slightly different version from one of the places that sells the ink refill kits for ink printers.

Back
Top Bottom