• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Knife laws in Mass

Jesse, as I've never had the chance to hear you speak, or ever met you. Nice to see you around. I have heard nothing but good things about you and what you do for gun owners. :D

So, welcome and thanks for being a part of this community. Even though I'm pretty new here myself, I've found that the people here, and the ones you know, have been great to talk with...

Ok, I'm done kissing ass...at least after reading what I posted, it sounds like it. hehe So I'll shut up now.

Excellent post, Jesse, and true about other places. It's a lot easier to be an A - hole than it is to work together sometimes.... I'm VERY glad Derek started this. <insert emoticon for a "smooch" here> [wink]

Sorry Jesse, once the thread is started I can only move the thread, delete the thread, or delete the post inside of a thread. No biggie though. [wink]

Re: Knife Laws

jcohen said:
Make sure when you read the statute you understand the difference between "carry" and "possess". Ironically there are many weapons which one can "possess", but are illegal to carry. (ie don't have it on your person or within your control in a vehicle.

Welcome aboard, Jesse. I've seen you post at Sigforum and on the Mass packing.org site.

Back to the topic at hand - knife laws in Mass...am I to understand from your post that it would be legal to own an automatic knife in Mass but not to carry one? Are the laws silent on ownership?

why all the confusion?

I know that ignorance often reigns...but why do so many people believe that mass has a blade length restriction? I always believed mass did have such restrictions...but apparently such is not the case. I am thankful for that...particularly on account of one of my recent purchases:

knife11.jpg

Cold Steel, Recon 1

holy thread resurrections...

To be safe, I always carry a knife with a 3 inch or less just because I don't trust every LEO to know the laws. That and I don't think going any bigger does any good.

holy thread resurrections...

To be safe, I always carry a knife with a 3 inch or less just because I don't trust every LEO to know the laws. That and I don't think going any bigger does any good.

I don't like the way the smaller knives open... for me its a lot easier to
get something bigger like my Emerson CQC-8 open. It's also a lot easier for me to
get a firm grip on the thing as well. IMO it'll never be an issue unless someone's
preparing to stuff you into a cruiser anyways, and if that's happening, you have bigger problems
than the knife you were carrying. If the knife you were carrying is statutorily legal, then I don't
see what the problem is. I know Boston has some screwy knife ordinance but the few times
I go into Boston these days I can't carry a damn thing because I'm going someplace that has
wanding or detectors anyways.

FWIW, I hope I never have to use the thing... but it's a lot better than
not having anything around, and it's convenient in the sense that knives aren't subject
to all the safe storage BS and the like.

-Mike

Last edited:
Boston has a limit of 2-1/2 inches on knives (the blade) since 9-11. I can't find the official reference - the website has changed with no forward - but the text I have reads:

16-45 PROHIBITING THE CARRYING OF KNIVES OR
SIMILAR WEAPONS

16-45.1 Carrying of Weapons Prohibited. No person, except as provided by law, shall carry on his person, or carry under
his control in a vehicle, any knife having any type of blade in excess of two and one-half (2 1/2") inches, (except when actually
engaged in hunting or fishing or [delete … in going directly to and/or returning directly from such activities, or any
employment which requires the use of any type of knife), … end delete] any employment, trade or lawful recreational or
culinary activity which customarily involves the carrying or use of any type of knife, or (b) in going directly to and/or returning
directly from such activities, or (c) if the knife is being transported directly to or from a place of purchase, sharpening, or
repair, and if packaged in such a manner as not to allow easy access to the knife while it is being transported), ice picks,
dirks or similar weapons that are likely to penetrate through police officer's ballistic vests, or other object or tool so
redesigned, fashioned, prepared or treated that the same may be used to inflict bodily harm or injury to another.

I've been looking for an answer to this for a while as the law is written horribly.

So, the law does not say a limit of 1.5"? Seems like it could be construed that way. Also, the Boston ordinance is not law? It is all still a little unclear.

I've been ingnoring it for close to a couple of decades but now I have a ALP and often a CCW on me and don't wan't something as stupid as a 3.5" blade to jam me up and jeopardize my ALP.

Anyone know for 100% what the law is?
-Derek

I was under the impression that Boston was the only place with a blade lengh standard. I have a 4 inch folder that I would like to carry but since it cost $400 I am not looking forward to some "hard ass" LEO confiscating the knife!

Again the same question.
Could please anybody with knowledge clarify (preferably with a reference to the applicable law) if there is any blade length limitation in MA, and if yes, what is the legal length?

I got one for you. How about the folding utility knives that have been so popular at the home depot. I carry mine all day every day in my pocket by the clip. Now that I have my Class A I might be locking it up for my 29 mile drive home. That sucks..

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/269-10.htm

GENERAL LAWS OF MASSACHUSETTS
Chapter 269: Section 10
Carrying dangerous weapons; possession of machine gun or sawed-off shotguns.
6(b) Whoever, except as provided by law, carries on his person, or carries on his person or under his control in a vehicle, any stiletto, dagger or a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position, any ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism, dirk knife, any knife having a double-edged blade, or a switch knife, or any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches, or a slung shot, blowgun, blackjack, metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles, nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather, a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown, or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand, or a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends; or whoever, when arrested upon a warrant for an alleged crime, or when arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, is armed with or has on his person, or has on his person or under his control in a vehicle, a billy or other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a), shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two and one-half years nor more than five years in the state prison, or for not less than six months nor more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction, except that, if the court finds that the defendant has not been previously convicted of a felony, he may be punished by a fine of not more than fifty dollars or by imprisonment for not more than two and one-half years in a jail or house of correction.

could someone put this into plain english. so can i carry any knife regardless of blade leagth as long it is not a switch blade or butterfly knife?

could someone put this into plain english. so can i carry any knife regardless of blade leagth as long it is not a switch blade or butterfly knife?

Correct. No double edges either. Boston (and maybe other towns) does have a 2.5" blade length ordinance but it is not really clear whether or not it is enforcable.

My attempt at an English translation (except for the names of various martial arts weapons):
Do not carry on your person or in your vehicle:

• a stiletto,
  • a dagger,
  • a device or case which enables a knife with a locking blade to be drawn at a locked position,
  • a ballistic knife, or any knife with a detachable blade capable of being propelled by any mechanism,
  • dirk knife,
  • any knife having a double-edged blade,
  • a switch knife,
  • any knife having an automatic spring release device by which the blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches,
  • a slung shot,
  • a blowgun,
  • a blackjack,
  • metallic knuckles or knuckles of any substance which could be put to the same use with the same or similar effect as metallic knuckles,
  • nunchaku, zoobow, also known as klackers or kung fu sticks, or any similar weapon consisting of two sticks of wood, plastic or metal connected at one end by a length of rope, chain, wire or leather,
  • a shuriken or any similar pointed starlike object intended to injure a person when thrown,
  • or any armband, made with leather which has metallic spikes, points or studs or any similar device made from any other substance or
  • a cestus or similar material weighted with metal or other substance and worn on the hand,
  • a manrikigusari or similar length of chain having weighted ends

If you're arrested on a warrant for an alleged crime, or arrested while committing a breach or disturbance of the public peace, don't have on your person, in your vehicle or under your control:
  • a billy or
  • other dangerous weapon other than those herein mentioned and those mentioned in paragraph (a) [i.e., firearms]

Otherwise you're in deep shite.

No mention of any maximum blade length anywhere here.

Ken

My attempt at an English translation (except for the names of various martial arts weapons):

No mention of any maximum blade length anywhere here.

Ken

But it does say this
having a blade of over one and one-half inches

I think that is where the confusion is coming from.

Basically, most of us seem to be concerned with the overall blade length...

for example, my blade is a 3" folder, line lock, half stright/half serated...

is this legal or could it put me in a bind?

By the wat my brother was arrested becuse of a studed bracelet in northbridge a long time ago, and they gave hime a knife charge for every spike on the bracelet.

By the wat my brother was arrested becuse of a studed bracelet in northbridge a long time ago, and they gave hime a knife charge for every spike on the bracelet.

Leather armbands with metal studs are illegal in and of themselves. So are you sure he wasn't arrested just for that, and not under a very unlikely sounding knife charge 'for every spike'?

Back
Top Bottom